FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kathy Ellwood Leads Schools forum

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

How did the forum go? Is anything going to be implemented?

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-40/1164210776105220.xml&coll=5

FLINT - Many had concerns about their schools. Some said the district gets a bad rap. Almost all seemed to agree they want to make schools better for the sake of their children.

About 50 people - most of them parents - gathered at Sarvis Center on Tuesday evening for the first meeting of the Flint School District Superintendent's Advisory Roundtable.

Superintendent Walter Milton Jr. formed the group in the midst of sweeping changes under his school reform plan and recent controversies that brought hundreds of people to an Oct. 4 Board of Education meeting.

Milton said he wants suggestions and feedback from community members.

"We want to hear your voice," he told the gathering, going as far as giving out his cellphone number. "If I can have a lot of voices, it really helps me."

Kathy Ellwood, who was chosen to be a parent facilitator for the new group, said she wants its members to work together toward positive changes.

Ellwood said Milton's reform plan - which included school closings, grade reconfigurations, curriculum changes and creation of an honors school and gender-based academy - is beginning to make a positive difference after a rocky start caused by the district making changes too quickly.

"It really sets the bar high for our kids," said Ellwood, who has one daughter at Whittier Classical Academy and another at Eisenhower Elementary School. "I just think it was implemented badly."

Many parents, teachers

and students complained about overcrowded classrooms. On Monday, the district notified parents it would move seventh- and eighth-graders from Southwestern Academy to the former McKinley Academy to ease overcrowding.

Parent Tracey Cavette said concerns about issues such as the reopening of the McKinley building can draw attention away from needed school reforms.

"There are so many more things that we can do if we stop majoring in minor things and move on to educating our children," said Cavette, who has two children at Eisenhower Elementary School and works for the district's maintenance and operations department.
Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:14 pm 
rapunzel

Let's just say it is in the "introduction" phaze.
Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:09 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

When is the next meeting? Was it one of those community meetings where everyone just preaches and wastes everyone elses time? That happened at councilman Neely's forum.
Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:04 am 
rapunzel

The next meeting will be at Eisenhower. Not sure of the date.

Happy the subsequent meetings will be held in the schools rather than Sarvis.

Adam, as what you would consider a professionional meeting attendee. I kinda of understand the process. Many are newbees and have to underfgo the process to really understand.

Of the 60 plus in attendance it will be whittled down to perhaps 15 to 30 diehards that really care.

As a former citizens committee member I have about five people I have fought with and learned to trust. They are positioned at various points acrossed the community schools.

To this day, I can call them and count on action.

If this does nothing else but bring five more true action people to the table it will be a good thing.
Communication- sharing points of view. I am no longer siloistic - my school- my area but see others areas- homes/schools/communities.

It is a learning process and not a simple process. Trust that we will have an impact. Having been there done that, I want to race to the goal.

The beginning process takes time and if we do not do it right, it will and many months of dedication be thrown in file 13.

More importantly if a few months of our work is thrown out, it costs years to children. I have been through a few superintendents. My friends have been through a few more. Trust the process.

RAP
Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:50 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Thank you for clarifying things. You are very insightful. I think we definately need dedicated meeting attendees like yourself but I think we really need people like you and Chris Delmorone in positions of power. I think we should also consolidate meetings. For example I think 60-70 block clubs would be enough (1 for each precinct) as opposed to 2 hundred.
Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:46 pm 
Voice of Reason

Lets be honest here, Kathy Ellwood is just out for whats best for Kathy Ellwood. No shame in her game!
Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 am 
rapunzel

Voice,
YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW KATHY ELLWOOD!!!

She is not running for School Board as she can not dedicate the time needed to "Do the job right".

She has stepped down as chair of the Superintendent's parent committee.

I can not speak to her reasons.

I do know Milton has made last minute changes to agenda items ( the group had submitted items to discuss that she put on the agenda).

Milton has at the last minute canceled scheduled meetings.

She continues to volunteer in the schools and as always mediates for parents and teachers in the interest of children.

NEVER Has put her needs or the needs of her area children above the needs of the many teachers and children in FCS.
Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:38 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Do you think the current school board members dedicate the time needed to "Do the job right"? It would be nice if we had someone like you on the board.

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:06 pm 
Rapunzel

I feel Milton is not a good leader for our schools, he is a racist.
Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:23 pm 

I am a teacher at Flint Commencement Academy. Our school has become a zoo, we teachers feel like we are on an island, ALONE! Milton knows of our dilemma and has done nothing to alleviate the problem. Boyd-Springer is the WORST possible solution to our problem. Until Milton and his croonies do something to NOT hire their black "friends" the Flint schools will remain mired in the problems we have! We are losing the good kids at Central! We are going to lose good teachers at Central.

Stay tuned! The proverbial "shit" is going to hit the fan!
Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:22 am 

quote:
Rapunzel schreef:
I feel Milton is not a good leader for our schools, he is a racist.
This was not ME!!!^^^ Welcome back spoofer!

To the teacher at Flint Commencement Academy. First..We are not up on all the new titles for schools. This is Central building 7-12 correct?

I have heard of Fires in Garbage cans etc. Building over capacity.

Please explain situations...Milton would like mums the word policy but the community can not help if we do not have more details.

On this forum you can remain anonymous and get the word out!!

You may have alluded to the Union making Waves. Contracts are coming up correct? I think you need more than the union...the community behind you.

See what teacher strikes cost the detroit schools? Lose -Lose situation.

Please speak out now! I am tired of situations swept under the rug.

WE the parents, support the teachers! Give us the tools to assist?

Too many administrators!! Too many chiefs and not enough indians!
Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 pm 
RE: Al E. Tea

quote:
rapunzel schreef:
Voice,
YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW KATHY ELLWOOD!!!

She is not running for School Board as she can not dedicate the time needed to "Do the job right".

She has stepped down as chair of the Superintendent's parent committee.

I can not speak to her reasons.

I do know Milton has made last minute changes to agenda items ( the group had submitted items to discuss that she put on the agenda).

Milton has at the last minute canceled scheduled meetings.

She continues to volunteer in the schools and as always mediates for parents and teachers in the interest of children.

NEVER Has put her needs or the needs of her area children above the needs of the many teachers and children in FCS.

Dear Rap,

Just decided to drop you a note.

Please keep in mind that the real Voice of Reason stopped using the VOR name because of spoofers.

I will continue to occassionally post, but always with a new name.

And... I will not post again using this name and... to the spoofer... I will not post again for at least a week, so take a frickin' vacation.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:57 pm 

I heard there were going to be some successful businessmen/women running for the school board this time.................THAT'S what we need. People who actually know how to run a ship and keep it out of the red.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:09 pm 

I can't speak for the 7-9 teachers, but I can speak for we teachers who deal with Maria Boyd-Springer on a daily basis. Our "section" of Central has become a complete ZOO, a joke, total anarchy! We teachers do NOT feel safe. Fires in garbage cans, fire alarms being pulled daily, fights almost every hour. Overcrowding of classrooms and our biggest complaint is THAT THESE STUDENTS WHO ARE CREATING THESE DISTURBANCES ARE ALLOWED TO DO WHAT THEY PLEASE! NO RAMIFICATIONS, NO ACCOUNTABILITY, NO CONSEQUENCES. Please refer to OUR 11 NON-NEGOTABILES. PLEASE! Good kids are leaving not only our building, but OUR district on a daily basis. C'mon Mr. Cleaves, "white flight" isn't causing this! Your people are causing this. Teachers who enable "men", boys, and young ladies of color to act like they are at a house party or chilling at "da crib"! School is NOT a social event! School is a tool of exchanging ideas, learning, and preparing yourself for the REAL WORLD. Where tardies, absences, and ghetto behavior are NOT tolerated. Wake up Milton, wake up Boyd-Springer, wake up Cleaves.. enabling "your" kids as you like shout.. is doing THEM no favors.
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:29 am 

Come on guest, don't you know that us kids are only acting that way because we feel oppressed by white privelage? We're frustrated because we actually have to study and get a B average to get into Harvard. We act like crazed lunatics because you white teachers actually expected civility out of us.....................how dare you - you're so racist to expect me to act "white" and assimilate into your world where puncuality, integrity and respectful behavior is rewarded.
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: