FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Community Policing Millage

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Rapunzel

Interim Police Chief Gary Hagler will speak on Dec 14th about the upcoming Community Policing Millage renewal at the Eastside Business Assocation. The millage renewal will be on the February 28th election ballot.

The public is always welcome to attend Eastside Business Association meetings held every Wednesday promptly from noon until 1pm. Our gracious host Don Lada provides a complimentary lunch. Meetings are at Brown Funeral Home 1616 Davison Rd.

Also on this months agenda...Dec 7th Mike Brown from the water dept. will be our guest speaker. He will be speaking to address concerns regarding maintainence of Flint City fire hydrants.
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:23 pm 
Rapunzel

Deputy Police Chief Gary Hagler has had a schedule change. He will speak at EBA on Dec. 21 instead of Dec. 14th as previously scheduled. Subject: Community Police Millage renewal on the Feb. 28th ballot. As always EBA meetings are open to the public every Wed. from noon until 1pm. and a complimentary lunch is served.

Also note Mike Brown from the water Dept. has canceled for the Dec. 7th as speaker. Does your fire hydrant produce H2O when tapped?
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:38 pm 
rapunzel

Reminder- Deputy Police Chief Gary Hagler will speak on the Community Police Millage tomorrow. Dec. 21, noon @ Brown Funeral Home,1616 Davison Rd. for the Eastside Business Association.
Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:50 pm 
rapunzel

What is the Flint Community Policing Millage Renewal?
What does it get me?

This is NOT an increase in taxes but a RENEWAL of what we already have!

The Community Policing Millage RENEWAL brings in approximately 3.2 million dollars funding to provide for the following:

1-Lieutenant
2-Community Policing Sergeants
3-Crime Area Target Team (CATT) Sergeants
10- COPS officers on the day shift
8- COPS officers on the second shift
16-CATT officers

In order to keep these 40 positions the COPS Millage must be renewed on the FEB 28th ballot. Community Policing promotes a partnership between the police and the community. This Millage Renewal reduces crime while costing less than 65 cents per week for the average Flint household. This is NOT a tax increase but a 2- mill renewal that serves the entire Flint Community.

Community Policing has changed a bit from its original concept, the
Neighborhood Foot Patrol. It has created the Crime Area Target Team (CATT) which is now a part of the Community Policing Program. The CATT squad gets information from community police officers, crime watches, from calls to your local council person, the mayor’s office, and calls to your local police mini stations to target areas of increased criminal activity.

The CATT Unit and the COPS Officers work together to resolve community problems such as prostitution, drug activities, gun violence, illegal dumping and other nuisance abatements. This new enforcement effort is a combination of traditional community policing and Problem Oriented Policing where police resources are targeted in neighborhoods that are experiencing problems with crime and quality of life issues.

With limited resources the Flint Police Dept. has found a way to make a strong presence in every community without asking for more funds. Our Flint Police Department believes this is the most effective way of using our tax dollars to fight crime in our communities. We will lose 40 police officers if the Community Police Millage does not pass on Feb. 28, 2006
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:57 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

This milage thing could go both ways, the way I see it. The failure of the Flint police to do more then give lip service can have too affects.
1. People will believe that they are not able to respond because they are over worked and under paid. Not enough officers on the street, etc.,
2. People may begin to feel retaliatorial, because of existing and continuing failure of the Police dept to do anything once they've shown up.
The example of the Officers that wouldn't even get out of their car when they arrived at the place the shooting at Kearsley park had taken place. I believe, if people knew, how often this happens, that police don't even bother to do the bare minimum. If the people knew, that this is the Norm, the status quo. It is not the exception. If more people knew this was going on as regular as it has been. They would probably be voting NO on 1 ONE.

Besides, If we really needed these forty officers. Why isn't it in the Budget? If it is such a high priority and so necessary. Why hasn't the mayor and the Council worked together to ensure that they always have the funds available to have enough officers. Just like Chris said. If the council wants to save money, they can vote to bring it to the ballet to change the number of Council persons. They can also work to include the 40 officers in the City Budget also. But when you consistently spend more for Garbage Trucks, Tahoes and trash and tree cutting services from business outside the city. That takes money out of the city from taxes, and spends our money to support other cities economy's. I can see where we could have saved almost two million in the last year on those things alone. Plus gotten at least a small percentage of it back from taxes.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

You could pick up 7 empty bottles off a roadside or from littering a city park and funding 40 COMMUNITY Police would cost you nothing. In fact you would have an extra 5 cents in your pocket and a much cleaner neighborhood. Of the 253 police officers we now have the 40 that work with the community are most important. See 213 officers left. HMMMM....
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:37 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I might just take some time off work so I can go to a couincil meeting and give them a few bottles. Good idea.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Jerr-bear,

You make life interesting! thanK you!

The true arguements against the police millage you have almost touched on but not quite.

I'll fill you in on Feb 29. Chuckle

RAP
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:17 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It's not so much that I'm against the Millage. As I am against the logic behind why we need a millage in order to get police response.

1. If we really needed these 40 officers so badly. WHY IS IT IN A MILLAGE AND NOT IN THE BUDGET?!?!
2. If we need these "Extra" 40 officers. And crime is so bad and all the police are SO BUSY fighting crime. Why do Officers have time to harass the mechanics working on their vehicles, and eat Yogurt on duty instead of giving the their BOSS (US THE CITIZENS OF FLINT) their full attention when they come in to make a report!
3. If we really needed these 40 officers. How come they seem to be going most of the work? With the Stats that have been published. It would appear that 40 officers have done over 50% of the work.
4. IF we really needed these forty officers. Their work should be freeing up other officers to be able to investigate other crimes. Such as home break in's, Personal Property theft. So that People like ms. Cleaves don't get robbed by the same people twice, then they move on to killing the rest of their victims. Why isn't more crime prevented?

I'd be more than happy to pay MORE in taxes if it truly yeilded the full results. It basically boils down to. 40 officers picking up the slack so that 213 or so can complain about how over worked and under paid they are. Instead of doing their job!

So, as long as we have a police force that at every turn. Is goofing off, wasting time, whinning and complaining. And doesn't investigate or even arrest criminals when they have over whelming evidence. WHile crime continues to go up because fo their refusal to do a damn thing about it. There by allowing! YES ALLOWING criminals to graduate from breaking and entering to Murder. I'm not for any tax that supports them.
HOw do I judge this? I'm waiting on the Prosecuter to get back with me. About the Guns stolen from the neighbors house. The guy that stole them has now been in prison for almost two years. The Police NEVER ONCE. called my neighbor and told them they arrested the guy. As a matter of fact. They didn't even know they arrested him. Or they knew and had no intentioin of telling him. Now the guy was arrested for Criminal sexual conduct - WEAPON USED, Armed Robbery, Felon with a weapon etc. Now where did he get the guns? The police have to know where the gus are. Now as My website clearly shows. THe Police KNEW he broke into his house, They KNEW he stole the guns, They knew where the Guuns Were!! THE POLICE REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THereby allowing him to Rape and break into omeone elses house. (PROBABLY USING THE GUNS HE STOLE FROM MY NEIGHBORS HOUSE!) Where are his guns? Did someone in the Dept decide to keep them? That seems the most likely! As i'm pretty sure the police have them. It only makes sense. Since the guy did commit the next crime only two months after he broke into his house.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:26 am 
rapunzel

Against my better judgement I'll respond. Just don't rip my head off on 2 year old unresolved issues. Please! Did you get that ,I am saying Please!
You did notice I was pretty close on the Officer count??? response -yes RAP!

Futhermore, I agree with you on many of the police issues. Why didn't they get out of the car? I think is the police are also disgruntled on lack of prosecution. They can take two hours to book and write a report and the perp is let go free for lack of space in the jails. While they are busy transporting another perp is committing a crime. They are trying to play catch up all night so they can catch a crime in action. A follow up is the detectives job and No comment on that.

Now on the real issue the ballot language for community policing. We should have cops in each area to follow up and respond to area calls. Many times our community police are called away other endeavors that leaves us with no COPS in our area. The Catt squad is not community policing as written in the original ballot language. We should have community police in each ward. The original ballot language that was changed was for foot patrol in every community. Above and beyond what the regular police have in place. This was some 80 officers once upon a time.

The cost of each officer has doubled but still we are paying and have been paying for community police to do what regular police are supposed to do. read half the officers are on Catt or behind a desk. That leaves 18 COPS officers on the beat. 10 on days and 8 on nights for how many areas???

Now there are also 16 CATT officers on target teams they surf as called per area. This is still not community policing as per ballot language!

So rip off my head but this is the truth as I know it!
RAP
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:49 am 
rapunzel

That being said, We have two great community police officers now in our area. They are worth their wieght in gold! Far more than 65 cents per week. If they are not on duty in the middle of the night they will follow up on the call to regular police to make sure it was resolved.

I am sure your dogs eat more than 65cents per week but they are also worth it.

Officer Wooster and Mark Buderakis meet them just once. We now have good COPS in our area.
RAP
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:02 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Hey, I don't mean to come across angry with you or anyone else. Except for the Police Dept. My problem is. Just like the incident two years ago. They haven't changed they way they do business. THis type of thing is continuosly happening. And you cannot rely on the journal to let us know when it happens. It happens all the time. But, we do not hear about it.
http://www.cityofflint.net/another_one.htm
When you look at the Flint Crime stats. burglery 2.758 in 2005. I'll bet had they investigated even 1% it would have saved at least a few lives. Our murder rate wouldn't be so high. They keep committing these crimes realising that NO ONE cares if they do it. And just keep stepping up the crime until they finally do something that get's the police depts attention.
So it isn't all just the "TWO YEAR OLD CRIME" it's the lack of concern.

Oh and my dogs get special food. One of them get's gall stones. So she has a special diet. And without them. THe police would be letting criminals break into my house so they could buy drugs. I have a lot of years of of watching them refuse to do thier jobs. That's why it's so hard to belive anything has changed. So when they do finally resolve two year old issues. THen i might consider changing my mind. Hell It's already been solved. but they don't have a clue that they solved it. When I start to see some acountability down town. Maybe I'll change my mind.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:35 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: