FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Historic District Commission -12/4

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

Brief summary- FHDC Meeting on 12-4-06
Commissioners Present- Leeanne Barkus, Steve Heddy, James Rutherford, Nancy Sinclair, Dr. Mildred Smith and Dan Suomela.

Audience member- David White(Genesee County Historical Society) spoke to alternatives to demolishing the Manning St. Houses. 3 alternatives were submitted- maps provided.
Alternative 1-Providing line of site for parents dropping children off.
Alternative 2- While Cultural Center/FIM have not proven the need for additional parking, this alternative suggests expanded FIM/ Sloan parking.
Alternative 3- While Cultural Center/ FIM has not proven the need for additional parking. As original owners of CC. The Flint Board of Education parking lot that is not traditionally used in the evenings when FIM is in operation is in direct line of sight of the west end of FIM.

3 of 3 alternatives suggest moving employee parking and put in short term parking for handicap and elderly. Create new drop off point at back of Manning. Install security cameras.

Statement was made that for 6 months the commission must look at alternatives to demolition. Proceedural errors were made in decision including appropriate zoning ordinance.

Commission had questions on area that were answered by Therese (McDonnell, property owner). Among other comments she pointed out that the demolition of these houses would not place parking lot in direct line of site of entrance.

Leeanne Barkus made a motion to nullify decision to demo houses as proper proceedure was not followed and inappropriate zoning for a parking lot- residential. (Discussion was had on 14 day submission and was seen as proper).
Motion failed. ( Ryan Eashoo would have been helpful- had he been in attendance, my opinion.)

A number of motions were made to visit FIM and look at entrances and exits. Discussion on open meeting vs. 3 or 4 commissioners to attend. No long term building/ parking lot plan has been submitted.

votes ended as 3 -3 tie and failed. Commissioners were worried an open meeting on site would encourage chaos and adversarial attendance by community. This would interrupt fact finding.

A final motion was approved for 2 commissioners to tour FIM gather information on long term site plan, use of entrances and exits and bring information back to the full commission.

Approval of minutes from November 2, 2006- Leeanne Barkus brought up points that were left out. Excuses followed.

Upon my viewing of minutes- note many name misspellings, these people obviously signed in- but in speaking name was noted incorrectly. Read name on page one was correct but on page 3 wrong. Shows 55 community members in attendance.

During 12-4 meeting secretary lost place of parlimentary proceedure repeatedly. motion -second - discussion - vote.

Rap
Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:08 pm 
rapunzel

date correction- 12-7 -06 sorry!

RAP
Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:53 pm 
Bill

What about this months meeting?
Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Very Sad day in Flint when people vote on personal reasons, rather than the law. I believe we need to preserve our History, and build off of that. Other commissioners don't feel that way however.....

I hope the public is outraged by this and demands better!!

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: