FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: who really runs the City of Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It is hereby ordered that all City officials, department heads, division heads, and employees shall adhere to the following requirements regarding the approval of any and all grant applications on behalf of the City of Flint or grant applications submitted by others which in any way involves the financial, programmatic, or personnel support by the City of Flint:
1. No grant application contemplated to be submitted on behalf of the City of Flint and no grant application contemplated to be submitted by others which in any way involves the financial, programmatic, or personnel support by the City of Flint shall be submitted without the prior approval of the appropriate Department Head, the Finance Director, and either the Emergency Financial Manager or City Administrator.
2. The process for requesting pre-approval shall be established and published by the Finance Director. The process and related forms shall be made available in an appropriate location on the City’s computer network. All requests for prior approval shall be submitted in electronic format.
3. Grant applications pre-approved for submission shall be submitted on behalf of the City of Flint and only under the signature of the Emergency Manager or City
Administrator. The grant application shall be submitted by the appropriate Department Head and reviewed and approved by the Finance Director in advance of seeking approval and signature of the Emergency Financial Manager or City Administrator. Copies of the grant application shall be filed electronically with the Office of the Emergency Manager or City Administrator, and with the Finance Department.
4. Only the Emergency Financial Manager or the City Administrator is authorized to accept a grant on behalf of the City of Flint. Processes for administration of accepted grants shall be as determined by the Finance Director or designee, in consultation with the department assigned responsibility for administration of the grant. General policies
regarding grant administration and reporting shall be established and published by the Finance Director, and made available in an appropriate location on the City’s computer network. For each grant assigned to a department for grant administration, the Department Head shall designate an individual responsible for that task and who shall be the contact person for the Finance Department.
5. The contact person for an assigned grant shall be responsible for ensuring that
administration of the grant is in accord with applicable grant regulations; for ensuring that grant tImd.are received, and for responding to any audit findings.
2This Order may be amended, modified, repealed or terminated by any subsequent order
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

As of the end of April, 2015, the City of Flint moved from being under the control of an emergency manager to home rule order under the guidance of a Receivership Transition Advisory Board (RTAB). This board will ensure a smooth transition by maintaining the measures prescribed upon the emergency manager’s exit. The Mayor and City Council have resumed their defined roles with regard to City business, yet major financial and policy decisions will be reviewed by the RTAB to ensure that they maintain fiscal and organizational stability, as directed under Public Act 436.

The Emergency Manager was appointed by the Governor under Public Act 436 to oversee the management of the city during financial crisis. The job of the EM was to bring long term financial stability back to the city by addressing any and all issues that threatened the city’s financial solvency. Four different individuals served as emergency manager from December 2011 to April 2015. In order, they were Michael K. Brown, Edward J. Kurtz, Darnell Earley and Gerald Ambrose.
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When the RTab Board questioned two different methods of presenting grant resolutions to the Rtab Board,(February 2017) interim City Attorney Angela Weeler explained that since the City was still in receivership that Emergency Manager order #10 by EM Ed Kurtz was in place which gave only the City Administrator the power to approve grant applications.

Also she said that with research EM Ambrose order #20 does not allow even the Mayor or council the right to amend the orders

So which is it? Are Home Rule but subject to the approval of the RTAB or are we going through the Home Rule motions and still adhering to the EM rules that have not been rescinded.

If it is the EM rules, then is the City Administrator really running the City with the Mayor as a figurehead? Is ir "procedural", as Wheeler stated that only the City Manager. So does the City manager run the City and is the Mayor merely a "figure head?
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

And what about the Emergency Manager demand "Take all steps necessary to successfully establish, develop and complete the Karegondi Water Authority (KWA).

Is there an updated list as to what orders were rescinded and what are still functioning?

Is it really Home Rule if we are bound procedurally, as the City Attorney stated to these Emergency Manager orers?
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Looks like Home Rule

Council and mayor at odds over Flint’s damage claim policy
April 28, 2017Flint Beat 0 Share
FLINT, MI — Flint City Council President Kerry Nelson says he is set to call a special meeting after Mayor Karen Weaver vetoed a resolution to have damage claims $2,500 or more come before council for approval.
“She has been pushing to keep it at $10,000,” Nelson said. “At the end of the day all we’re saying is we are doing our job. I am hoping my colleagues are on board with this. I am going to vote to override her veto…It’s nothing more than being responsible. I have no idea why the mayor would veto this.””

For nearly a month some Flint City Council members have been in talks with Flint’s legal department regarding the city’s damage claim policy.

The council submitted a resolution asking that damage claims $2,500 or more come before council while Weaver’s administration submitted a resolution asking that the limit be set at $10,000 or more.

Council members voted 8 to 1on April 24, 2017 in a city council meeting in favor of the $2,500 or more resolution while Weaver’s resolution never made it past committee.

“I anticipate that the resolution will pass by my colleagues…I call it the Eric Mays (rule),” said Mays of the council’s damage claim resolution. “I don’t think that’s how you should make legislation. I think you should make rules based on what needs to happen.”

Mays, the sole no vote, said he feels the move was made because council members did not support a $4,500 damage claim payout he received last year after being handcuffed and removed from an August 2016 special city council meeting. He received payment in September 2016 for the claim, minus $534.02 he owed in Flint property taxes and a water and sewer debt of $654.47. According to settlement documents the payment was approved by former City Attorney Stacy Erwin Oakes.

Council members did not find out about the settlement until after it was paid.

Nelson said he expects to hold a special meeting on Monday, May 1, 2017.

According to city charter if the council overrides the mayor’s veto the $2,500 damage claim resolution approved by council members on April 24 should move forward.
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MLive
Michigan
Menu
Set WeatherSearch
Subscribe

shares
State oversight board restores power to Flint City Council despite concerns

Print Email Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com By Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com

on May 26, 2016 at 6:00 PM

FLINT, MI - The state-appointed Receivership Transition Advisory Board voted unanimously in favor of restoring Flint City Council's power in a special meeting on Thursday.

RTAB
The state-appointed Receivership Transition Advisory Board voted unanimously to restore power to the Flint City Council during a Thursday, May 26 special meeting. Both the mayor and the council lost power under the state financial emergency declared in 2011. (Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com)
Both the mayor and the council lost power under the state financial emergency declared in 2011. Gov. Rick Snyder restored some of Flint Mayor Karen Weaver's power earlier this year amid Flint's water crisis but the council was still in limbo and didn't know when or if their powers would be restored.

"I am glad that this fight is finally over," said City Council President Kerry Nelson. "I have been fighting to have power restored to the council and now I hope this will allow us to communicate better with the Mayor Weaver's administration."

The decision, however, did not come without some concerns and a warning that council could be stripped of its powers if it missteps.

"I am very hesitant to do this," said Michael Townsend who sits on RTAB. "For years I avoided city council meetings and when I saw tapes of the current ones, it reminded me that I did a smart thing in avoiding them before."

Under terms of the agreement, the state oversight board can remove the council's power again within a 90-day period if they see fit.

The council and Mayor's office have neglected to meet despite claims that they are trying to work together. RTAB members stressed the need for both entities to work together to move the city forward.

Both City Administrator Sylvester Jones and Nelson said there had been meetings scheduled but they had been cancelled for various reasons.

Nelson said some of the issues have been personal and it is time to focus on city business.

"We need to put all of the personal issues aside," he said. "We need to work together. It is important for both the Mayor and council communicate. Now we can have access to city employees when something needs to be handle immediately without having to go through the mayor."

Both Snyder and Weaver have said they support the council's restoration of power.

Weaver said in an earlier meeting this week that she supports the restoration of the council's powers and a statement issued by her spokes woman, Kristin Moore issued a statement May 19 supporting earlier statements made by Weaver regarding the restoration of the council's power.

"Mayor Weaver knows more things can get done to move the City of Flint forward if leaders are working together to make them happen," said Weaver's spokeswoman Kristin Moore in May 19 statement. "That's what she wants and hopes it's what others are focuses on as well."

The governor's communications director, Ari Adler, also said earlier this month that Snyder supports the council has its powers restored.

Snyder outlined his support in a letter to Nelson who read the letter to RTAB members during a May 11 meeting.

RTAB will still serve as financial oversight.
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The question remains. Why did the City Administrator think he had sole power to accept grants?

TREASURY - City of Flint - State of Michigan
www.michigan.gov/treasury/0,4679,7-121-1751_51556_64472-2982...

MI Dept of Treasury - Status: Receivership - Transition Advisory Board. ... Documents. RTAB Appointments: Original Board ... January 11, 2017 Meeting Minutes.

Search under Flint Michigan RTAB meeting minutes and select the treasury choice.
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have been going backwards in the RTAB minutes. EM Order 20 by Ambrose was amended on 7-7-16, so maybe Legal needs to do some more research. Oder #10 doesn't appear to exist. What an EM mess.
Post Thu May 04, 2017 10:33 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: