FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Donna Poplar lawsuit just keeps costing taxpayers!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Why is this lawsuit still being argued in Farah's court? All appointee jobs are at the leisure of the Mayor, or in this case the Emergency Manager.

Axed Flint mayoral appointee Donna Poplar sues city, claims age discrimination

Print Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com By Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com
on December 03, 2014 at 6:15 PM

FLINT, MI -- A former Flint Human Resources Department director is suing the city, claiming she lost her job in 2011 because of her age.

Donna Poplar, now 59, makes the age discrimination claim in a lawsuit filed last month against the city in Genesee County Circuit Court.

MLive-The Flint Journal could not reach Poplar or her attorney, Dean T. Yeotis, for comment Wednesday, Dec. 3, but the complaint says Poplar began working for the city in September 2009 and was terminated in late 2011.

"From the beginning of (her) employment ... and throughout her employment, (Poplar) performed her job well," the lawsuit says. "On or about the day of her termination, (she) was informed that she was being terminated based on her age."

The lawsuit claims Poplar was replaced in her City Hall job by a "significantly younger and unqualified employee."

Flint City Attorney Peter Bade declined comment on the case.

Before she was appointed Flint personnel director by Mayor Dayne Walling, Poplar had been the top administrator for what was then called the Genesee County Community Action Agency.

The office was later renamed the Genesee County Community Action Resource Department.

Poplar was fired from that position in 1999, according to Flint Journal files, and was convicted in 2000 of obtaining money under false pretenses over $100, a felony that was later expunged from her record.

At the time of her termination as Flint's human resources director, Poplar told The Journal she wasn't surprised or offended by her dismissal, which came at the same time as pay and benefit cuts for Walling and the City Council as well as the termination of six other city employees by former emergency manager Michael Brown.

Poplar said then that she had faith in Brown, even though she didn't support Gov. Rick Snyder's ability to take over operation of a city like Flint.

"I just feel that he's doing what he thinks is best," Poplar said then. "He has a right to make the decisions he's making. Certainly, I don't take it personally."
Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

67 08/25/16 ORDER GRANTING IN PART &
DENYING IN PART PLTF'S MOTION
IN LIMINE RE: PLTF'S PRIOR
CRIMINAL CONVICTION FILED
68 ORDER GRANTING IN PART &
DENYING IN PART PLTF'S MOTION
TO STRIKE AFFIDAVIT OF GARY
BATES FILED

I found this recent entry interesting/
Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There has been mandatory settlement, mediation and more. What is the cost? Erycka Hunter was not a good replacement, but the union was laughing at how Poplar was losing most, if not all, of their grievances.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Manager ousts seven from Flint City Hall; council meetings, pay for members and Walling axed

Print Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on December 02, 2011 at 10:00 PM, updated December 03, 2011 at 12:56 AM

FLINT, Michigan — In his first orders as emergency manager, Michael Brown on Friday fired seven City Hall staffers — including the mayor’s second-in-command — and eliminated pay and benefits for the mayor and Flint City Council.

RG_MICHAEL_BROWN_02.JPG
View full sizeFlint Journal file photo
Michael Brown
Brown also canceled City Council meetings until further notice.
Four high-ranking mayoral appointees were among those let go: City Administrator Gregory Eason, Human Resources Director Donna Poplar, Citizen Services Director Rhoda Woods and Green City Coordinator Steve Montle.

Also fired were Ombudswoman Brenda Purifoy; Edward Parker, director of the Flint Civil Service Commission; and Eason’s administrative assistant, Kathleen Sheetz.

“We’ve got such a deep hole in the budget and finances, I needed to start at the top, if you will,” Brown said. “There were some positions in management, and I think part of that is just sending the right message out there that everybody’s got to sacrifice here.”

Although the roles of the city ombudsman and Civil Service Commission are mandated by the Flint City Charter, Brown’s order removing Purifoy and Parker cited state law that says an emergency manager can remove any local government appointee.

Brown said the city “can’t have the same staffing level” that it has now and warned that more cuts are coming.

“None of this is easy, but there’s a start here,” he said. “There’s more to come. It has to come, and I’m going to go back and do that.”

Mayor Dayne Walling issued a statement Friday, saying “it was an honor” to work with each of his four appointees who were terminated.

He said Eason has a “strong record of government reforms and community accomplishments,” and Montle “was the driving force behind a number of innovative initiatives.”

Walling said Woods “made a difference in thousands of families’ lives,” and Poplar “brought a superior level of skill and understanding to one of the hardest jobs at City Hall.”

“It was an honor for them to choose to serve with me through very difficult times and, on behalf of the Flint community, I thank them for their service.”

Parker was appointed by the Civil Service Commission, and Purifoy was appointed by the City Council.

Brown said he wants to have more discussions with council members before he makes a final decision on future council meetings.

“We’ll kind of take a close look at all that and come up with an operational plan to do it,” he said. “They have a role in their wards to communicate with their constituents. I want
to support that.”

Council President Scott Kincaid said he’ll be talking more with Brown about the City Council.

“I think he’s trying to get his direction straight and get some stuff done right now,” Kincaid said.

Brown said all of his written orders will be put up on the city’s website so the public can view them.

The terminations and pay cuts — which came on Brown’s second day on the job — were put in place immediately.

Poplar, former human resources and labor relations director, said she wasn’t surprised or offended by her dismissal.

“I just feel that he’s doing what he thinks is best,” Poplar said. “He has a right to make the decisions he’s making. Certainly, I don’t take it personally.

“In fact, I would have been more surprised if he had not made the moves. ... You expect them to bring their own team in.”

Poplar said that while she doesn’t support the governor’s ability to take over the city, she has faith in Brown, a former acting Flint mayor.

“I certainly have known Mike Brown to be a very respectful man,” she said. “I just hope that he does a great job so that the city can get to where it needs to be.”

Attempts to reach the other terminated employees were unsuccessful.

A state-appointed review panel earlier this last month recommended a state takeover for Flint after finding a structural deficit, recurring cash flow shortages and other financial deficiencies. The city ended the 2010 budget year with an estimated $15 million deficit. A $7 million deficit is projected for budget year 2011.

Emergency managers also are in place in Benton Harbor, Pontiac, Ecorse and Detroit Public Schools.

Staff writer Khalil AlHajal contributed to this report.

Selected comments:

sixteenhundred strong Dec 3, 2011
Glad to see Eason and Poplar gone. They have caused big problems within city hall from lawsuits to racial problems. Walling should be gone as well for hiring such incompetence and lack of leadership skills. Chris Wolf should also go since he is a fruad investigator that can not do his job when there is fraudulent activity within city hall miss use of funds, grants, etc. instead of worring bout how long utility personnel taking breaks lunches etc. and using video surveillance to check out women while they are working...Karma has taken effect I do not feel sorry for any of the terminated. It was well deserved. kudos to Mike Brown Thank you

Gooch Dec 3, 2011
Woo Hoo!!!!!!! I'm so glad we got him in here. He's wiping the slate clean and starting fresh!!!!! All these people canned and look nothing has changed!! The city is still alive and kicking! We just aren't paying a bunch of people to do nothing!!!! I have to add into this list of people who are out though! Don't forget Wendy Johnson quit before she got fired!! I would like Brown to look into what she had her hands in. I would also like some one to go over the books at Salem Housing, Land Bank, and I think it's called Urban Development or what ever it's called, the one using the Federal Money Grants to fix up these houses in areas where no one in their right mind will move!!!!! Most of the houses I know of are on N. Grand Traverse St. I so think that money would have went alot farther knocking more down and starting from scratch. Could have trippled the number of homes if they hadn't tried to save old foundations!!! Should have flattened em and built one or two story homes with no basements!!

(Note: Flint gave the federal funding to Salem)

BwanaJim Dec 3, 2011
Mike Brown certainly has a tough job to do. I'm sure that it's difficult to make decisions that effect people's livelihoods, but the priority needs to be to make Flint financially viable. It's refreshing to see he has the courage to take on this responsibility. One cannot expect Flint to become solvent if it's representatives and citizens keep doing the same things that caused the problem in the same way, over and over. The thinking needs to changes and that includes the City Charter, cronyism and ineffective government with apparently ineffective leadership.

fireatwill Dec 3, 2011
Mr Brown, GREAT JOB.

Walling your roll of laying off people and hiring your own staff of idiots is over. It's unfortunate the people of Flint had no clear choices in this years mayoral election and had to vote for the least of 2 evils. Walling has and always will be in it for him self. He did nothing for Flint but lose more jobs and add to the homicide rate. Say what you want about the police when you dont have them or at least a presence the crime rate will go up. Walling got rid of public safety to provide his own people with high paying jobs at the expense of residents lives. I have no idea how he lives with himself, It's sad. Poplar your job as Ombudsman was a joke to say the least. You have no authority at all to get anything accomplished but collect a pay check. Mr Brown keep cutting the fluff off the top and put people in the job that match their education and expertise instead of the old buddy system. Lets bring Flint around, its possible when crooks aren't in charge.

dimhcs Dec 3, 2011
For anyone with a half a brain, public safety should be priority #1 in a city that is listed as the most violent in the nation. Under Walling, this is not true!

Why did Walling not make the above cuts sooner?
Is it because he lives in an area not ravaged by crime? Is it because he gave people jobs because of political reasons? Is it because he hired people with issues with Bribery and Sexual Harassment?

Great job Mr. Brown! Next in line should be the towing contract with an ALLEGED political supporter of Walling!

Sift out all the dirty deeds, which includes the Smith Village Project!

One last thing. Can the MSU study on crime and police manpower in Flint be made public? I bet if the study was shown to be positive for Flint, it would have already been released with the mayor injuring his hand by patting himself on the back?

onlythetruthin2012 Dec 2, 2011
You don't have to look very far to see where Steve Montle is now. He has moved on to bigger and better things. But the sad part is, we're still paying his salary. Steve is employed by the State of Michigan as an "Aide" to State Representative Jim Ananich. He started working there this week. Maybe the next thing we should do is to vote Jim Ananich out in the next election, which is next fall. Also, if you've read all the stories from today, the Governor appointed Jim to his "Talent Board" which replaced the former Dept of Labor and Economic Growth Board. Interesting chain of events, don't you think?

asuccubus Dec 3, 2011
THANK YOU for this post. It makes my blood boil and confirms exactly what I predicted would happen -- they would all have a cushy landing with politically connected cronies and STILL be on the taxpayer teat.

Just lost some respect for Jim. Keep up the good posts, this is the kind of dirt the Journal won't dig.

jacksondm Dec 2, 2011
One of the problems with the new EFM law is the ability to completely over-ride the City Charter. I anticipated that some of these positions and/or people would be eliminated -- but there are two that are mandated by charter. They should have had their pay cut in half, perhaps -- but respect for the charter should be (largely) preserved. (And yes, I know that the Ombudsman Pay is also charter related.) As for the Mayor and Council -- cut their pay dramatically -- but they still have the ear of the citizens and have MUCH awareness of specific problems in their wards. They should have had their pay cut DRAMATICALY -- but not eliminated completely. The citizens elected them as THIER voice to the City and they should have some remuneration for their continued efforts.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:15 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There was a lot of anger when Walling selected Poplar and Eason for his administration. But it was the state through their EM that fired her giving the City the tab for the legl expenses. The EM law gives the Emergency Managers immunity for their actions.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

NOTICE SENT FOR: 10/25/16 8:30 AM
MANDATORY SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE
COUNSEL & PARTIES W/ AUTHORITY
TO SETTLE MUST APPEAR.
64 NOTICE SENT FOR: 10/26/16 8:30 AM
JURY TRIAL
ADJ'D FROM 8/24/16 TO ALLOW
DEPOSITION.

A resolution may finally happen.

Poplar doesn't give up. Remember when her sister-in-law, Second Ward Council Jacqueline Poplar, voted over 200 times to make Donna the Ombudsman? Every time Jackie looked at Donna, Donna shook her head no.The meeting went on past 1 am.

Other communities have cried nepotism for similar situations. Flint council just sat there and took it. When Mays intervened and crated a compromised situation for new Ombudsman Crooms, Crooms refused the position.
Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:57 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: