FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Nevada speaker still racist

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/11/20/3595026/incoming-nevada-speaker-said-democrats-have-master-slave-relationship-with-simple-minded-darkies/

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:19 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Incoming Nevada Speaker Said Democrats Have ‘Master-Slave’ Relationship With ‘Simple Minded Darkies’

by Ian Millhiser Posted on November 20, 2014 at 12:22

Nevada Assemblyman Ira Hansen (R), who the assembly’s Republican caucus selected as their choice to be its next speaker earlier this month, has a long history of racist, sexist and homophobic statements chronicled in a long list published by the Reno News Review. Among other things, as part of a broader statement of support for school vouchers, Hansen claimed that “[t]he relationship of Negroes and Democrats is truly a master-slave relationship, with the benevolent master knowing what’s best for his simple minded darkies.” Indeed, according to the News Review, Hansen keeps a Confederate battle flag on his wall, which he says that he flies “proudly in honor and in memory of a great cause and my brave ancestors who fought for that cause.” He also “tends to use the term ‘Negro’ and often does not capitalize it.”

Hansen has also published several columns attacking Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., including one where he claims that “King’s private life was trashy at best. … King Jr. is as low as it gets, a hypocrite, a liar, a phony, and a fraud.” In another piece, he wrote that “[t]he lack of gratitude and the deliberate ignoring of white history in relation to eliminating slavery is a disgrace that Negro leaders should own up to.”

Nor does Hansen reserve his condemnations for African Americans. He’s argued that “women do not belong in the Army or Navy or Marine Corps, except in certain limited fields.” He’s criticized the “sexual revolution” and the “women’s liberation movement” for encouraging women “to act as foolishly as men.” And he also claims to have a strange obsession with gay child molesters. He once wrote that he’s “been keeping a rough tally on homosexual/heterosexual molesters as reported locally” and that this inquiry revealed that “and roughly half of all molestations involve homosexual men preying on boys.” As the News Review notes, “Hansen gave no details, nor did he publish his list, nor did he explain how he knew the sexuality of the alleged molesters.”

When incoming assembly members are sworn in, Republicans will enjoy a 25-17 majority over Democrats, all but ensuring that their choice for the speaker’s chair will preside over the chamber
Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.dailykos.com

David NirFollowRSS

Mon Nov 24, 2014 at 09:10 AM PST.

Nevada Republicans shove maniac racist House speaker out the airlock, but he's still screaming

by
David NirFollow .

Ira Hansen
Man. This one is definitely going in the "we hardly knew ye" file. Late last week, Nevada Republicans did something awesome—and by awesome, I mean, awesomely self-destructive—in tapping Rep. Ira Hansen as speaker of the state House, which they just reclaimed a few weeks ago. Why so awesome? Because Ira Hansen is a crazy, racist nutfuck who would have made Louie Gohmert look like a good choice to succeed Eric Cantor. He also left a paper trail decades long memorializing his insane views:

Hansen tends to use the term "Negro" and often does not capitalize it. In one column, he described Washoe Republican Sen. Maurice Washington (whom he supported) as black but in the same column called President Obama (whom he opposes) a "negro"—lower case.

"Today, when Army men look at women in the ranks with 'longing in their eyes' it very well may constitute 'sexual harassment.' The truth is, women do not belong in the Army or Navy or Marine Corps, except in certain limited fields."

Hansen has said he keeps a Confederate battle flag on the wall where he writes his columns. "I fly it proudly in honor and in memory of a great cause and my brave ancestors who fought for that cause," he wrote.

"Considering only about 2 percent of adult males are homosexuals, the numbers show why homosexuals have been historically regarded as such a threat. Male homosexuals are grossly disproportionate in child molestation cases, and the youth orientation of male homosexuality drives this trend."
Please read below the fold for more on this ridiculous story. .

I could go on, but I don't have to. The hardy souls at the Reno News & Review have already cataloged just about every lunatic utterance Hansen has ever committed to writing, and trust me, there are a lot. So many that his fellow Republicans actually chose to jettison Hansen, rather than deal what was sure to be an endless series of distractions, even though he offered a bullshit no-pology. Okay, well, he's claiming he's voluntarily stepping aside, but he's still angry—and crazy—as hell:

For the greater good of the State of Nevada and the cause I support it is necessary for me to withdraw as Speaker Designee. The tens of thousands of people who both read my columns and listened to my radio shows through two decades in the media know this has been a carefully orchestrated attack to remove a conservative Republican from a major leadership role in State government. The deliberate character assassination and the politics of personal destruction have totally distorted my views and record.
Ultimately, this whole attack has very little to do with my views. The powers that be are planning a massive, more than one billion dollar tax increase and I stood in the way as Speaker. I have already served two terms as an Assemblyman without any of these vicious attacks. It was only when I had risen to leadership that this smear campaign occurred. That is the real reason for this and it is vital the public understands that.
You gotta love any conspiracy theory that starts with "the powers that be" keeping a guy like Hansen down. What's particularly psycho is that Republicans actually took control of all the levers of government in Nevada earlier this month, easily holding the governorship and recapturing the state Senate as well. So this phantom "billion dollar, [sic] tax increase" is going to pass a GOP Assembly and a GOP Senate, and get signed into law by a GOP governor, but for Ira Hansen serving as speaker? Even the Republican Logic-Tron™ is having trouble with this one.
Unfortunately, Hansen's departure is bad news for Team Blue. Despite the massive GOP wave, Nevada was actually the only state where Republicans took full control in 2014, meaning they can turn a purplish swing state into the next Wisconsin—and you know they want to. Had Hansen served as a prominent face of the Nevada GOP, he'd have caused his own party a lot of grief, which is precisely why they just forced him out the airlock.

Instead, they'll find some smiling empty suit to push the same retrograde, reactionary, revanchist policies—someone who won't embarrass them in the press. That just means Democrats need to remain ever more vigilant and have to start preparing now to begin undoing all this damage in 2016. Hopefully Hansen will keep not shutting up, but we have to prepare to take back Nevada without his help.
Originally posted to David Nir on Mon Nov 24, 2014 at 09:10 AM PST.

Also republished by Daily Kos.

/story/2014/11/24/1347095/-Nevada-Republicans-shove-maniac-racist-House-speaker-out-the-airlock-but-he-s-still-screaming?detail=facebook
Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: