FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: the Eric Mays Saga contiues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
ins&out
F L I N T O I D

Working or being paid by Williamson would have made the news huh? reported by who? the Flint Journal lol? Ok.
Do you think Mays is forthcoming about any reporting?
Mays+Williamson = Honesty
Rolling Eyes
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

All council candidates are required to report all sources of income and/ employment and businesses prior to running and then annually to avoid conflicts of interest.

I take it you are saying Mays would lie. I am sure Willaimson has thrown some bucks to Mays. After all he once paid his child support to keep him out o jail. But handouts do not constitute a job.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:11 pm 
ins&out
F L I N T O I D

Sure i agree that's why i typed it "works"
That was what him and his friends called it.
I think you thought i ment it was a legit dealing. i know better than to believe that.[/b]
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Councilman Eric Mays charged with four misdemeanors in connection to alleged drunken driving, marijuana possession

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on December 09, 2013 at 2:14 PM, updated December 09, 2013 at 2:48 PM

FLINT, MI – Flint City Councilman Eric Mays has been formally charged with four misdemeanors in connection to an early-morning arrest last month.

Mays, 55, was arrested about 2:50 a.m., Nov. 30, when police said they found him trying to change a tire on a vehicle with four flats. Police said the vehicle involved had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of Interstate-475 on four flat tires.

Mays was charged Friday, Dec. 6, with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, possession of marijuana, no proof of insurance and refusal to be fingerprinted, according to Flint District Court records.

Mays’ attorney Frank J. Manley said he’s making every effort to have Mays turn himself in as soon as an arraignment date is set.

“It’s highly unlikely that a local judge will be appointed and if the judge will even require a formal appearance on the arraignment,” Manley said.

Manley said Mays was in the back of a Genesee Township police vehicle when Flint police took Mays to the Flint City Lockup.

“The arrest was made in Genesee Township. It’s higly unusual that Flint would take this case especially when a conflict exists,” Manley said. “Mr. Mays, when it’s all said and done, will take responsible for his actions, but the way this case is being handled is far more political than judicial. We look forward to our day in court.”

Flint police Chief James Tolbert said Genesee Township police made the initial arrest and that Mays’ vehicle was in Genesee Township when police stopped him.

“Even if Flint can charge the case technically they shouldn’t because they’ve admitted to a conflict,” Manley said. “It raises more questions why are they taking Genesee Township’s case when normally they wouldn’t.”

Genesee Township police Chief John Mullaly declined comment on Mays arrest.

Flint Police Chief James Tolbert previously told The Flint Journal that Mays’ blood alcohol content exceeded the legal limit of 0.08 by at least 25 percent, but Tolbert was unsure on the exact reading. Tolbert also did not know how much marijuana was found.

Mays, who was elected to represent Flint’s First Ward on Nov. 5, refused calls for his resignation by Emergency Manager Darnell Earley, Mayor Dayne Walling and numerous city councilmembers on Friday, Dec. 6.

Michael Gildner has been appointed special prosecutor in the case.

Dominic Adams is a reporter for The Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The 6 pm news on WJRT TV 12 had an interview with Mays I which he said he wanted an apology from the council. He also threatened to go to the Governor to show him that he (Mays) was smarter than the Governor.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:48 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The 6 pm news on WJRT TV 12 had an interview with Mays I which he said he wanted an apology from the council. He also threatened to go to the Governor to show him that he (Mays) was smarter than the Governor.
Councilman Eric Mays faces charges after drunken driving arrest
Posted: Dec 09, 2013 3:39 PM EST Updated: Dec 09, 2013 5:45 PM EST
By Jennifer Profitt - email jennifer.l.profitt@abc12.com

From the VIDEO:

Q. (Jennifer) Do you have plans to step down then, or--

A. (Eric Mays) Um, no, um if they pursue this any further--I'm tryin to forgive em--and I'm also tryin to get some meetings with em so I can show em what I see and then (sniff) if they don't see it then I'll go to the governor and I'll try to get him to see that the leadership in Flint ain't as smart as me.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Emergency Manager issues order to "address actions" of Councilman Eric Mays

Posted: Dec 13, 2013 2:32 PM EST
Updated: Dec 13, 2013 5:21 PM EST
By Lori Dougovito - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(12/13/13) - Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley has issued an executive order, he said, that addresses actions of Councilman Eric Mays.

It's the latest in the back and forth following Mays' arrest last month. Flint Police allege he was driving drunk, the wrong way on I-475 and on four flat tires, was in possession of marijuana and refused to be fingerprinted.

A special assistant city attorney has been appointed to prosecute the criminal case. Mays has been charged with four misdemeanors. City officials have since called for him to resign. He has refused.

An emailed press release, from the city, indicates the order sets forth stringent guidelines intended to address a pattern of persistent disruptive behavior and inappropriate, intimidating communication with staff by Councilman Mays.

It also sets guidelines for Mays' continued presence on City Council in light of his dismissive response to calls for his resignation, according to the release.

"This is a very serious matter. Without this action, it is my opinion that the issues surrounding Councilman Mays will be a distraction and therefore will interfere with my ability to manage the City," said Earley. "The City cannot afford these types of distractions to our efforts of addressing the many important challenges that confront the community. City Council members serve a very important role as public officials and their leadership must not be compromised by their individual actions as we begin talking about the future of the City of Flint post-emergency management. "

Earley's Executive Order #3, effective Friday, reads:

1. Councilman Mays shall not directly communicate with City of Flint staff, including the
Emergency Manager, except for the following:

a. to report an emergency or to respond to Police or Fire Departments;
b. in association with payment for his personal utilities or taxes;
c. in association with starting or stopping his personal water service;
d. as permitted by the Emergency Manager.

2. Councilman Mays shall not make referrals to the Emergency Manager or any other City
staff.

3. Councilman Mays shall inform residents of the 1st Ward to direct matters to the City
Clerk, who shall then submit those matters to the Emergency Manager.

4. Councilman Mays shall communicate with the Emergency Manager via email only,
unless otherwise directed by the Emergency Manager.

5. Councilman Mays shall not be disruptive during City Council meetings and other meetings to which the Emergency Manager directs him to attend, and shall not:

a. address Council during the public comment period;
b. address Council unless he is first recognized by the Council president;
c. address Council about matters that are not on the Council agenda.

6. Councilman Mays is permitted access to City Hall only on Monday through Friday from
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and during Council meetings, but otherwise shall not be permitted on the
premises.

7. Councilman Mays is no longer permitted to utilize the City Hall parking garage and shall
immediately return to the City Clerk the parking garage opener he was issued.

8. The Council President shall enforce the above directives at City Council meetings and, in
the event a person persists in disturbing the orderly conduct of a Council meeting after
having been clearly informed that he or she is unreasonably causing a disturbance, shall
request that the police arrest that individual under Flint City Code §31-12(6), Disorderly
Conduct and Disorderly Persons.

For a complete copy of the press release, click HERE.

Additionally, Earley issued another order canceling Monday's scheduled council meeting.

Also, the Michigan Secretary of State's office says it has been asked to look into one aspect of Mays' election.

Earlier this month, there was a recount of the First Ward at the request of runner up Anita Brown. Mays actually gained one vote in the process, but during the recount, absentee ballots were not included because the seal numbers on the ballot boxes didn't match numbers in a log book.

The Genesee County Clerk wants the state to look into why those numbers didn't match.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

5 highlights of executive order that limits Flint City Councilman Eric Mays' actions as elected official

t
Follow on Twitter
on December 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

FLINT, MI – Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley said Councilman Eric Mays’ behavior following an arrest on suspicion of drunken driving and possession of marijuana has “disrupted and interfered” with Earley’s ability to manage the city.

In his executive order No. 3, Earley spells out what he called loud, uncivil, unprofessional, aggressive and erratic behavior by Mays.

“If allowed to continue, Councilman Mays’ disruptive behavior will significantly undermine efforts to strengthen the city council in preparation for its very critical leadership role as the city of Flint moves toward a transition advisory board,” the order reads.

The order comes a week after Mays rebuffed Earley’s, Mayor Dayne Walling’s and numerous council members’ calls for Mays’ resignation after Mays was arrested on Nov. 30 and subsequently charged with four misdemeanors, of alleged drunken driving and marijuana possession.

Related: Read the order here

Here are some highlights:

1. Mays must now communicate with Earley via email only.

2. Mays must tell First Ward residents to direct concerns to City Clerk Inez Brown, who will then forward the matters to Earley.

3. The order spells out that Mays may contact city staff only in the following instances:

•To report an emergency or to respond to police or fire departments.

•In association with payment for his personal utilities or taxes.

•In association with starting or stopping his personal water service.

•As permitted by the emergency manager.

4. The order also threatens Mays with arrest if he doesn’t follow council President Scott Kincaid’s and Earley’s directions during meetings.

5. Mays can no longer use the city hall parking garage and can be on the premises only from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and during council meetings.

Gerald Fisher, a professor at Thomas M. Cooley in Auburn Hills, expects the matter to end up in court.

“To pick out one person on a suspicion like that when he is an elected official,” Fisher said, “It sounds like there will be a challenge.”

Dominic Adams is a reporter for The Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

EMERGENCY MANAGER
CITY OF FLINT
GENESEE COUNTY MICHIGAN
ORDER No. 3
DIRECTIVES TO COUNCILMAN ERIC MAYS
BY THE POWER AND AUTHORITY VESTED IN THE EMERGENCY MANAGER
(“EMERGENCY MANAGER) FOR THE CITY OF FLINT, MICHIGAN (“CITY’)
PURSUANT TO MICHIGAN’S PUBLIC ACT 436 OF 2012, LOCAL FINANCIAL
STABILITY AND CHOICE ACT, (“PA 436”); DARNELL EARLEY, THE EMERGENCY
MANAGER, ISSUES THE FOLLOWING ORDER:
Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager has broad powers in receivership to rectify the financial emergency and to assure the fiscal accountability of the City of Flint and its capacity to provide or cause to be provided necessary services essential to the public health, safety and welfare; and

Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager acts in place of local officials, specifically the Mayor and City Council, unless the Emergency Manager delegates specific authority; and

Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager has broad power to manage the local government, and may issue orders to elected and appointed officials necessary to accomplish the purpose of the act. An order issued under PA 436 is binding on the person to whom it is issued;and

Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager may prohibit a local elected official from access to the local govermnent’s office, facilities, electronic mail, and internal information systems for failure to abide by an order which disrupts the Emergency Manager’s ability to manage the local government; and

Emergency Manager Order No. 2, City Council’s Responsibilities and Partial Restoration of Compensation, effective March 28, 2013, provides that “[a]ll communication with staff must be in writing and directed through the Emergency Manager”; and

On November 22, 2013, Councilman Eric Mays signed the attached Acknowledgment of Receipt in which he confirmed having received and read Emergency Manager Order No. 2, and agreed to abide by its terms; and

On December 2, 2013, Councilman Mays violated Order No. 2 by verbally attacking a Police Department employee, to the point that she was brought to tears, as described in the attached
affidavit; and

On December 3, 2013 and December 4, 2013, Councilman Mays violated Order No. 2 by subjecting the Emergency Manager’s secretary to disjointed and lengthy diatribes, in which his behavior was highly agitated and seemingly out of control, as described in the attached affidavit; and

In both instances, Mr. Mays used his position as a Council member to intimidate City of Flint
personnel, and engaged in loud, uncivil, unprofessional, aggressive and erratic behavior; and Councihnan Mays has a history of disruptive behavior, with numerous occasions that the police have had to physically remove him from Council Chambers, as well as a February 22, 2013 conviction for disorderly conduct for persistently disrupting a public hearing; and

At the City Council meeting on November 16, 2013, his first as an elected official, Councilman Mays repeatedly interrupted and delayed the proceedings; and

Councilman Mays’ failure to abide by Order No. 2, has disrupted and interfered with the Emergency Manager’s ability to manage the local government; and

If allowed to continue, Councilman Mays’ disruptive behavior will significantly undermine efforts to strengthen the City Council in preparation for its very critical leadership role as the City of Flint moves toward a transition advisory board; and

Governance of the City of Flint is subject to extraordinary circumstances due to a financial emergency, such that action in response to Mr. Mays ‘ s disruptive behavior is necessary; and

Based on the above, and in order to allow for the effective management of the City of Flint, it is ordered that:

1. Councilman Mays shall not directly communicate with City of Flint staff, including the Emergency Manager, except for the following:

a. to report an emergency or to respond to Police or Fire Departments;
b. in association with payment for his personal utilities or taxes;
c. in association with starting or stopping his personal water service;
d. as permitted by the Emergency Manager.

2. Councilman Mays shall not make referrals to the Emergency Manager or any other City staff.

3. Councilman Mays shall inform residents of the 1st Ward to direct matters to the City Clerk, who shall then submit those matters to the Emergency Manager.

4. Councilman Mays shall communicate with the Emergency Manager via email only,
unless otherwise directed by the Emergency Manager.

5. Councilman Mays shall not be disruptive during City Council meetings and other
meetings to which the Emergency Manager directs him to aftend, and shall:
a. address Council during the public comment period;
b. address Council unless he is first recognized by the Council president;
c. address Council about matters that are not on the Council agenda.

6. Councilman Mays is permitted access to City Hall only on Monday through Friday from 8 a.rn. to 5 p.m. and during Council meetings, but otherwise shall not be permitted on the premises;

7. Councilman Mays is no longer permitted to utilize the City Hall parking garage and shall immediately return to the City Clerk the parking garage opener he was issued;

8. The Council President shall enforce the above directives at City Council meetings and, in the event a person persists in disturbing the orderly conduct of a Council meeting after having been clearly informed that he or she is unreasonably causing a disturbance, shall request that the police arrest that individual under Flint City Code §31-12(6), Disorderly Conduct and Disorderly Persons.

This Order is effective December 13, 2013.
This Order may be amended, modified, repealed or terminated by any subsequent order issued
by the Emergency Manager.
Dated: 12/13/2013 By: ____________________
Darncll Earley
Emergency Manager
City of Flint
xc:
Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

excerpt:

Eric Mays tells NBC25 that Earley informed him of the order Friday morning during a phone call. Mays said Council President Scott Kincaid, council members Joshua Freeman and Bryant Nolden and City Clerk Inez Brown were present in the room with Earley during their phone conversation. Mays said he was surprised by the directives in the order and that they were unfairly targeting him. He also said some of the incidents mentioned in the order, such as the Dec. 2 incident in which the order stated Mays was verbally abusive toward a Flint police employee, were not true.

“I feel sad that the emergency manager and or the leadership has not talked to me. They're just throwing out orders,” Mays said. “Between me and my constituents, we might have a class action lawsuit. This is unprecedented. And it's based upon fraud that has not been investigated."

Mays was elected to the Flint City Council by just eight votes. Mays was also arrested, and charged, for drunk driving. He was arrested after driving the wrong way down I-475, while impaired, with four flat tires, according to police.

NBC25 is going to speak with Councilman Mays later this afternoon. We have also reached out to Earley for comment as well.

Be sure to watch NBC25 tonight at 6 for reaction and more on this developing story.
WEYI TV 25
Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mike Killbreath

Eric Mays will be our guest Monday morning from 8 o'clock until 9 o'clock on The Morning Gazette Radio Show on Flint's News Talk WFNT 1470 AM ..... If you can't get to a radio listen in online from our streaming live feed at www.WFNT.com

1470 WFNT Radio - Flint\'s News Talk - Flint News

wfnt.com

1470 WFNT radio brings you the latest news and talk in Flint, Michigan.

·
Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Don't rush to City hall Monday for the council meeting as Terry Bankert on Facebook posted a cancellation notice on the door of City Hall.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Councilman Eric Mays charged with another misdemeanor

Follow on Twitter
on December 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM, updated December 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

FLINT, MI – Flint City Councilman Eric Mays has a date before a judge on multiple misdemeanor charges stemming from his arrest Nov. 30 on suspicion of drunken driving and possession of marijuana.

Mays was arrested about 2:50 a.m. when police said they found him trying to change a tire on a vehicle with four flats. Police said the vehicle involved had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of Interstate-475 on four flat tires.

He was slapped with another misdemeanor charge on Wednesday, Dec. 18 -- failure to report an accident. Mays previously was charged with four other misdemeanors including operating a vehicle while intoxicated, possession of marijuana, no proof of insurance and refusal to be fingerprinted.

On Friday, Dec. 27, Mays will be arraigned on all the charges before Flint District Judge Nathaniel C. Perry III, said Mays’ attorney Frank J. Manley.

“The city is spending thousands of taxpayer dollars on ridiculous misdemeanor charges,” Manley said. “This is clearly an attempt to throw things against the wall and see what sticks.”

Following Mays’ arrest, Emergency Manager Darnell Earley, Mayor Dayne Walling and multiple city council members sought Mays’ resignation.

After Mays rebuffed them, Earley signed an executive order that says Mays can only communicate with Earley using email, can’t talk to city staff and directs First Ward residents to discuss their concerns with City Clerk Inez Brown instead of Mays.

The order also says Mays cannot be disruptive at council meetings and can only address council when President Scott Kincaid recognizes him.

Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:44 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AFFIDAVIT OF SHERI ESTEP
STATE OF MICHIGAN )
COUNTY OF GENESEE )
NOW COMES Sheri Estep, being duly swotn, deposes and says:
1. I am the Property Clerk for the City of Flint Police Department.
2. On December 2, 2013, I was working the front counter when Flint City
Councilman Erie Mays was called to my window (as the next in line).
3. Mr. Mays told me he needed to get his vehicle out of impound.
4. Mr. Mays did not possess identification, but did produce a document provided
to him by the arresting police officer.
5. Mr. Mays provided a description of the vehicle.
6. Mr. Mays was not the title holder of the vehicle.
7. Mr. Mays became angry when I informed him that I could not release the
vehicle to him.
S. Mr. Mays repeatedly told me that he is a Flint City Councilman.
9. I advised Mr. Mays that in order to take possession of the vehicle, lie would
need to obtain title from the Secretary of State.
10. He told me that the vehicle belonged to the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership
and I advised that a representative from the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership would need to retrieve the vehicle.
Mr. Mays was very loud, confrontational and aggressive.
12. He stated that he was from the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership and
produced a business card.
13. I attempted to inform him that he needed a letter on the Patsy Lou
Williamson dealership letterhead authorizing release of the vehicle to him, but he was talking loudly and angrily on his cell and not listening to me.
14. I informed Mr. Mays that I was done conducting business with him and I
pulled the window shade down.
15. Mr. Mays remained in the lobby talking very loudly and was extremely
angry.
16. Mr. Mays’ conduct, including repeatedly saying he is a Flint City
Councilman, was very intimidating and upsetting.
17. After he left, I was in tears and had a difficult time performing my duties for
the rest of the day.
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH. NOT.
Sheri Estep, Afflant
Betty Grisi, Notary Public
My Comission expires: July 12, 2019

AFFIDAVIT OF MAXLNE MURRAY
STATE OF MICHIGAN )

COUNTY OF GENESEE
NOW COMES Maxine Munay, being duly sworn, deposes and says:
1. I am the executive assistant to the City of Flint Emergency Manager
Darnell Earley.
2. On Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at approximately 11:50 a,m., Councilman
Erie Mays appeared in the reception area of the Mayor’s office requesting to speak with Emergency Manager Daniel Earley.
3. Mr. Mays was upset and began to loudly express his displeasure at the
amount he was being paid and the power held by the Emergency Manager.
4. Mr. Mays repeatedly identified himself as an elected official.
5. Mt Mays expressed that he wanted to help the Emergency Manager fix
Flint and that “the people have spoken.”
6. Mr. Mays said he was “perturbed” and that the Emergency Manager might
want to talk to him. Mr. Mays said that he was getting checks for $215.00 and the
Emergency Manager is getting cheeks for $8,000.00. Mr. Mays said, “If I was getting that amount of money, I would give money to my girlfriend and use some to go to the casino,”
7. During the late afternoon of December 4, 2013, Mr. Mays returned to the
reception area of the Mayor’s office, this time accompanied by another man, and again requested to speak with the Emergency Manager.
8. After being told that the Emergency Manager was not available, Mr. Mays
loudly expressed his view on numerous subjects, including that he was the only one
working; that the powers held by the Emergency Manager were ridiculous; that the
Emergency Manager was only one man and that he held too~ much power; that he was there to help; and that he did not have sufficient access to the Emergency Manager.
9. Mr. Mays said that he was not going to leave and that he would stay all
day and return the next day if he had to. He stayed until 5:00PM, but did not return the next day.
10. Mr. Mays repeatedly said “you don’t hear what I’m saying,” and again
brought up the issue of the money earned by the Emergency Manager.
11. Mr. Mays’ comments were scattered among various issues and not always
coherent.
12. Mr. Mays again expressed his desire for more pay so that he could provide
money to his girlfriend.
13. During the time Mr. Mays was using the interoffice telephone, he was also
speaking very loudly on his cell phone and was pacing in the reception area and leaning over the front counter.
14. Mr. Mays’ behavior was agitated, erratic and very intimidating.
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NOT.
Maxine Murray, Affiant
Betty A Grisi

My Comissio Expires: July 12, 2019
Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:53 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Councilman Eric Mays says EM order won't change his behavior
Follow on Twitter
on January 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM, updated January 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

FLINT, MI – Order or no order, Eric Mays says he won’t let the city’s emergency manager dictate how he acts.

At his first council meeting since his arrest on suspicion of drunken driving, Mays did just that Monday, Jan. 13.

Despite an executive order from Emergency Manager Darnell Earley that Mays not disrupt council meetings and address council members only after he is recognized by Council President Scott Kincaid, Mays interrupted Kincaid and other speakers asking to be recognized.

One interruption came when Mays started to interject just before Kincaid was about to name committee appointees.

“Mr. President, may I have the floor?” Mays asked.

“No you may not,” Kincaid replied.

“Mr. President, may I speak?” Mays asked again.

“No you may not,” Kincaid said. “I didn’t interrupt you, now please don’t interrupt me.”

At times, some of the half-full council chambers cheered for Mays while other council members shook their heads at him.

On Tuesday, Mays said he didn’t behave any differently than he normally would at a council meeting.

“That’s how you address council,” Mays said Tuesday, Jan. 14, about needing to be recognized by Kincaid before speaking at council meetings. “I’m not ignorant. I’ve been trained very well in parliamentary procedure.”

Mays, however, did go back and forth with City Attorney Peter Bade and Kincaid throughout the meeting.

Kincaid would ask Bade for help and Bade would cite Earley’s executive order pertaining to Mays.

Mays’ behavior during the meeting was troublesome to Earley.

Earley was at Monday’s meeting and didn’t directly address Mays, although Mays spoke of Earley’s executive order numerous times.

“I know that (Earley) found it quite disruptive,” city Spokesman Jason Lorenz said about Mays’ behavior.

Earley signed the executive order after Mays refused to resign from council following Mays' arrest on suspicion of drunken driving and possession of marijuana.

“Eric doesn’t distract me, he’s just Eric,” Kincaid said. “He wanted to challenge me on the appointments and I of course went forward and made the appointments. I recognize that he’s an elected official. I did not have to recognize him last night – that’s just not my character.”

One change at the new year's first meeting was the way public comment took place.

At the end of the meeting, when each city council member has a chance to speak, Mays addressed each commenter.

At the last council meeting, Mays chimed in after every comment.

On Monday, 12 people who spoke during the public comment period.

In the first meeting under the new council, public comment took more than two hours and some people left before taking their turn to speak because it took so long.

“Last night’s city council meeting was professional and civil,” said Mayor Dayne Walling. “The purpose of public comment is that people can say whatever they want. The most helpful public comments are ones that add to council agenda items or ongoing city actions as opposed to individual city service issues.”

During the public comment period, multiple people spoke about Mays being an elected official and that Earley should allow Mays to represent citizens.

Mays has pleaded not guilty to five misdemeanor charges stemming from his Nov. 30 arrest. Police said the vehicle involved had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of Interstate 475 on four flat tires near Carpenter Road.
Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:18 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: