FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Rob Coffman is "snarky"

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
watchdog66
F L I N T O I D

Northern humor makes it okay for Rob Coffman to introduce a black woman as the local crack ho

Railey says elections director could go unless somebody sees the light

John Railey/Winston-Salem Journal | Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 5:00 pm

Any day now, the executive director of state elections will decide whether Forsyth County Elections Director Rob Coffman stays or goes, a decision that’s been forced on her by the Republican majority of the three-member county elections board.

I agree with Coffman’s supporters - who include former county elections board member Jerry Jordan, a Republican - that Coffman has run smooth elections. I generally respect Coffman’s work, and like him because he’s accessible and always gives me the right info.

Forsyth Board of Elections Chairman Ken Raymond and board Secretary Stuart Russell want to oust Coffman over his handling of Winston-Salem State University voter mailings, and, more seriously, problems with Tobaccoville Village Council recounts. Raymond and Russell raise credible questions in their petition to the state board. They also claim that Coffman made disparaging remarks to Raymond and provided incorrect information to Russell.

In his response to the state director, fighting to retain his job, Coffman denies any misconduct. But I suspect he’d acknowledge that he isn’t perfect. He’s had past troubles, including calling a former temporary employee who is black “a crack ho.” The board majority cites that incident in its petition. Coffman says he underwent anti-racism training after that incident. He needed it.

I don’t believe Coffman meant the term maliciously, as hard as that might be to explain. But I joke around with him pretty much. I haven’t heard him use a term as bad as “crack ho,” but the Michigan native does have a certain irreverent Northern sense of humor, pushed to the extreme at times, that doesn’t always fly well here.

He’s also smart. Sometimes too much for his own good, as in this voice mail Coffman left for Raymond that the majority cites in making the case against Coffman for disrespect:

Ken, this is Rob Coffman. Would you call me please? Even though I say you never return a damned call, it’d be nice if you would just once.

Can we say “snarky”?

In his response, Coffman doesn’t exactly back off that tone:

The voicemail I left Mr. Raymond demonstrated my frustration in not getting returned calls from Mr. Raymond. I’m not sure how one would define a disrespectful tone? I believe there is lack of respect by not returning my telephone calls.

But Coffman also notes missteps Raymond has made, including prematurely stating that the WSSU early voting site might not be used in 2014. And Coffman notes that he enacted safeguards in the wake of the Tobaccoville recount problem.

I suspect he’d been pushing back against his board before all this. Whether he was right or wrong in doing so, his resistance didn’t serve him well when he got sideways with the board over his handling of the mailings and the recounts. If he’d been in the board’s good graces before those incidents, Coffman probably wouldn’t be in the trouble he is now.

The previous board, dominated by Democrats, stood behind Coffman through his challenges. Things are different under the current board, dominated by Republicans. That’s not to say Coffman’s troubles are partisan. One of his most fierce critics is Gardenia Henley, a Democrat who lost to Mayor Allen Joines in their primary last year.

But it is to note that the reigning governor’s party gets the majority on the state elections board and on county boards. These days, that’s Republicans. And after years of Democratic rule, it’s understandable that boards like Forsyth are itching for change.

In doing so, however, they shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

In its petition, the local board’s majority suggests that Coffman is not up to leading in the elections coming this year. But he’s led through several crucial elections, making sure all votes were counted in contests from presidential races to city council races, contests in which Republicans and Democrats won.

So now it’s up to the state board. A five-day suspension for Coffman would be in order, as local board member Fleming El-Amin has suggested, but not a firing.

And state elections director Kim Strach should mandate that Coffman and his board try to work out their differences, with the understanding that one more serious problem should mean Coffman is out. The path toward reconciliation would not be an easy one for Coffman and his board, but it’s worth trying.

That would be a reasonable path for dealing with a generally good, but outspoken, elections director who would be hard to replace.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When he worked at Career Alliance, Coffman was part of a sexual harassment complaint. It seems he told colleagues a black female with a well endowed chest who was wearing a pink jumpsuit that she looked something like an uncircumcised penis. He had to take training then too.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 pm 
watchdog66
F L I N T O I D

He bragged that he only stayed for 30 minutes of the day long class. Not surprising. But beyond his severe behavioral issues, he conducts dirty elections. That's what is most concerning.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

CLOSED DMO CASE REGISTER OF ACTIONS 01/06/14 PAGE 1
95-037855-CK JUDGE WASHINGTON FILE 06/21/95 ADJ DT 04/30/96 CLOSE 04/30/96
GENESEE COUNTY JDF SCAO LINE 110

P 001 JACKSON,SANDRA,R VS D 001 JOBS CENTRAL,,
ATY:MUAWAD,BRIAN E. ATY:ROSENTHAL,ERIC
P-41209 586-778-8570 P-24816 313-596-9314
DISPOSITION 04/30/96 DMO
SERVICE/ANS 07/25/95 ANS

D 002 EASON,GREGORY,