FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint to return to self-governance soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I find it interesting that the county says it costs $5 million to run the 68th District Court and Early tells Lansing that $3,5 million is allocated. My sources say this court is the most poorly run in the state.
Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:26 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: No retiree health cuts for Flint-Bankruptcy next?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

U.S. Court of Appeals halts health care cuts for Flint retirees | MLive ... http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2014/01/health_care_cuts_halted_again.html - - Cached - Similar pages 5 hours ago ... U.S. Court of Appeals halts health care cuts for Flint retirees ... “They are steadily

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

U.S. Court of Appeals halts health care cuts for Flint retirees

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on January 03, 2014 at 12:10 PM, updated January 03, 2014 at 3:00 PM

FLINT, MI – Cuts made to retiree health care benefits in Flint in 2012, aimed at saving $8.5 million over two years, are on hold after the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati, Ohio, upheld a preliminary injunction Friday, Jan. 3, that was issued last year against the cuts.

Six retirees and the Flint-based United Retired Governmental Employees association filed a lawsuit against the city following a decision in April 2012 by then-emergency manager Michael Brown that would make retirees pay more out of pocket for health coverage.

A final determination on the lawsuit protesting the proposed cuts is expected after the suit goes to trial.

The changes would have forced Medicare-eligible retirees to pay an additional $100 per person per month, increase the deductible from $50 to $1,000 and raise the co-pay from $1,000 to $2,500.

Flint officials have said that if the cuts aren’t allowed, it would cost the city $3.5 million in the 2013 fiscal year and $5 million this fiscal year and push the city toward bankruptcy.

“…The court theorized that the city had other options to balance its budget,” the appeals court opinion states. “The district court also reasoned that issuing a preliminary injunction was in the public interest because it ensures that retirees will not suffer harm because of lack of medical care.”

In a July opinion, however, an appeals court ruling paved the way for the city to begin collecting on those cuts.

The July ruling came after a judge had issued a temporary injunction in March 2013 stopping the cuts.

“They are steadily attacking the retirees' pension and benefits to balance their budget rather than looking at other options,” said Mary Bland, URGE’s president. “People don’t realize what they’ve done to the retirees. These are not big pensions we’re talking about.”

Bland said he expects the city to continue its legal fight in order to be able to invoke the cuts.

Attorney Alec Gibbs, who represents the retirees, could not be reached for comment.

“We are reviewing the court’s decision,” said City Spokesman Jason Lorenz.

Dominic Adams is a reporter for The Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: