FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Will crime make you leave Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I hear from individuals frequently who feel trapped in Flint and want out. Some are planning an exodus in the future.

Tell me what you think? It is easy to get a Flint talk ID and you can remain anonymous if you are fearful.

What do you think about plans to build new homes in Flint?

October 9, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Poll: Crime drives Detroiters out; 40% expect to leave within 5 years
By Christine MacDonald
The Detroit News

Detroit — Detroit's crime crisis is prompting such pessimism that 40 percent of residents plan to move within five years, according to a comprehensive poll of Detroiters' attitudes about their city and leadership.

Residents overwhelmingly believe the city is on the wrong track and have no faith that city leaders have a plan to turn it around. Crime is by far their biggest worry — even higher than finding a job in a city where some put the true unemployment rate as high as 50 percent.

The survey suggests that, unless city officials can combat violence, efforts to halt decades of decline will fail. The city's population already has fallen by 1 million over the past 50 years, and residents including Michael LaBlanc said they are ready to leave.

"There's an aura of fear that just pervades the whole neighborhood," said LaBlanc, 63, who installed a security system at his northeast side home last week because he's weary of car thieves and gunfire.

"It's almost like being in prison. We always like to have at least one person home for security sake."

The survey is believed to be the most authoritative of its kind in years. Commissioned by The Detroit News and funded by the Thompson Foundation, the survey provided a rare, statistically sound measure of public opinion. Detroiters have been traditionally difficult to accurately poll.

Eight hundred residents were surveyed by land and cellular phone Sept. 22-25 by the Chicago-based Glengariff Group Inc. The survey — which has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points — asked residents' feelings about city leadership, schools, transportation, quality of life and overall optimism.

The results were stark — and despairing.

Nearly two-thirds, 66 percent, say the city is on the wrong track. The poll found low support for all city officials except Police Chief Ralph Godbee, who retired Monday amid a sex scandal that emerged after the survey was conducted.

The survey's author said crime is the biggest obstacle to stemming an exodus that has seen Detroit's population drop to about 700,000. The city lost a quarter of its residents from 2000 to 2010, an average of one every 22 minutes.

"Crime is the pre-eminent challenge facing the residents of Detroit," said pollster Richard Czuba, Glengariff's president. "That was a defining element of the survey. It's absolutely the driving factor.

"It shows a tremendous mindset of exodus. If you want people to stay, you have to deal with crime first. That's devastating for the future of the city and it needs to be dealt with."

Nearly 58 percent of respondents said crime is their "biggest daily challenge." That far surpassed unemployment and the economy at 12.8 percent.

The survey suggests that many residents who remain would like to leave but are stuck: More than half, 50.9 percent, say they would live in another city if they could, while 39.9 percent plan to move in the next five years

LaBlanc has little confidence things will improve.

About a month ago, thieves stole his mother-in-law's 2004 Chrysler Sebring from their driveway. The thieves tried to get his 2003 Neon but failed, although they destroyed the steering column and transmission. Last week a stolen SUV showed up on blocks at the burned out house across the street.

"At night you can sit here and listen to the gunfire," said LaBlanc.

Police officials said the media make perception worse than reality. Violent crime is down 12 percent from 2010 to 2012 and police patrols have increased, said Deputy Chief Benjamin Lee.

He pointed to policies that put more officers on street patrols. Police no longer respond to burglar alarms unless security companies verify the need for officers. "Virtual precincts" close some precincts at night, freeing officers from desk jobs. And the department is partnering with the state Department of Corrections to better track recently released prisoners.

"The perception is there is lawlessness and that ordinary citizens aren't safe," Lee said. "The reality is … that violent crime is down."

Police Dept. faces challenges

The bleak attitude of residents comes amid an extraordinarily bad year for the Detroit Police Department.

Police union members, upset over 10 percent pay cuts in a city the FBI deems the second-most violent in the nation, handed out fliers Sunday to baseball fans near Comerica Park. They warned: "Enter Detroit at your own risk."

Homicides are up 10 percent this year to 298, and the city has endured a string of high-profile, brazen crimes that made international headlines, including the carjackings of gospel music star Marvin Winans and state Rep. Jimmy Womack.

Residents don't believe city leaders can change things.

Nearly two-thirds of residents, 63 percent, say city leaders have no plans for a turnaround. The poll found an "extraordinary lack of support" for elected officials including Mayor Dave Bing and the City Council, Czuba said.

"I don't see any forward movement," said Charles Wilson, a 62-year-old retiree, who added that high crime prompted him to get a concealed weapon permit and plan for an out-of-state move.

"I don't see the administration doing anything about it. I think they are asleep at the wheel," he said. "Where does this stop? Show me some milestones, give me some objectives. I don't see a strategy."

The downtown resident said he'd like to buy a new Corvette but doesn't want to make himself a target.

"It's difficult at best going out," said Wilson, who is concerned about recent violence including the August shooting at the Detroit Princess riverboat cruise. "You want to be able to dress the way you want to dress. You want to be able to go where you want to go. You don't want to be looking over your shoulder walking down the street. You just want to be at ease."

Income, safety divide

Perhaps more worrisome to city officials: 57 percent of those who plan to leave are families with children.

Safety fears are widespread, but greater among women and those making less money: 53 percent of women feel unsafe, compared to 43 percent of men. Fifty percent or more feel unsafe in households with incomes at $50,000 or below, compared to about one-third of those making $75,000 or more.

Demographer Kurt Metzger said the city is becoming a tale of "the best of times and worst of times." The media have focused on pockets of revival led by prosperous young people moving to Detroit, but many more thousands of residents lack the means to leave, Metzger said.

"It is glum," Metzger said. "The population of kids in Detroit is going down faster than the overall population. If you can provide a feeling of safety, it would go such a long way."

The Rev. Jerome Warfield, chairman of the Detroit Police Commission, said he hears "emotional appeals at almost every board meeting from citizens who are fed up with crime."

"People want a change," he said.

Wayne State University officials wanted change four years ago — and got it through a unique program that pools resources of nearby police agencies, analyzes real-time crime data and has helped make Midtown one of the city's most thriving neighborhoods.

The CompStat program, modeled after efforts in New York and Baltimore, attacks emerging crime trends, targets repeat offenders and has cut crime in the neighborhood by 38 percent, said Lyke Thompson, director of the university's Center for Urban Studies.

Since the program started, rents have soared, vacancies have dwindled and investments have skyrocketed.

"There's no question in my mind that the improvements in Midtown are because of the creation of a greater sense of security," said Thompson, who helps lead the effort.

"We can do this citywide if we get the right people in the room — and it's important because personal safety is the first priority."

Austin Black II, a Detroit real estate agent, said city leaders need to try to replicate Midtown's crime prevention successes.

"Detroit has a lot to offer people, but crime is a huge issue," Black said. "Something needs to be done and done fast.

"Whoever wins the election for mayor next year will be the person who best connects with the neighborhoods and offers a real solution to crime."

Gary Brown, the City Council president pro-tem, said the department has enough resources and should primarily focus on getting more patrol cars in neighborhoods.

"We have to start taking responsibility for our police department taking a stronger role in preventing crime," said Brown, a former deputy police chief. "If (residents) see a proactive approach, there wouldn't be this feeling of hopelessness."

Residents look past borders

In the meantime, residents like Denai Croff are making plans to leave.

The 44-year-old single mother of two is socking away $200 a month from her job at Gethsemane Cemetery to move to North Carolina.

She recently witnessed a carjacking near her duplex at Kelly and Morang and imposes a 9 p.m. curfew for her family most days. The windows have bars and she had her landlord install flood lights.

She lives next door to a memorial to a neighbor who was shot and killed last year, several months before Croff moved to the neighborhood.

"I just think Detroit is not happening right now," Croff said. "It's hard to come outside and even feel comfortable."

"The economy is bad everywhere, but the crime here has really gotten out of hand."

cmacdonald@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2396

Detroit News Staff Writer George Hunter contributed.

About this poll

This report is based on an 800-sample survey of Detroit residents and conducted by Chicago-based Glengariff Group Inc. The live operator telephone survey was conducted on Sept. 22-25, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.
Among the respondents, 35 percent were contacted by cell phone and 65 percent were contacted by land-line.
This survey was commissioned by The Detroit News and funded by the Thompson Foundation.
The Thompson Foundation
Bob and Ellen Thompson founded the Thompson Foundation in 1999 with $100 million from the sale of the Thompson-McCully Co. The foundation’s mission is to help low-income people rise out of poverty and become self-sufficient.
According to its website, the foundation has:

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121009/METRO01/210090369#ixzz29emC9w8G
Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Financially, we're stuck here - BUT - even if we could move, we wouldn't. We have good neighbors, some have become good friends, and we all look out for each other. We keep uip out yards and mow the yards of the empty houses. We will NOT be driven from our home!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Guest commentary: Addressing the crisis of crime and urban terrorism in Detroit

10:28 AM, May 21, 2012 |

By Carl S. Taylor

Detroit Free Press guest writer

Urban terrorism is what many citizens and communities in Detroit are experiencing. Robberies, home invasions, random shootings and homicides of innocent citizens, including babies, young children and families, have left a mark that is much more than crime. Many citizens in our Michigan Gang Research Project have found their quality of life steady declining. The solutions to address this criminal-driven terrorism lay beyond the police. This is not a police problem, it is a societal problem. Surges of serious crime terrorizing Detroit’s middle class communities threaten a balance of power leaving a discomfort that disconnects many from a once stable and safe city.

Our research team has interviewed many in Detroit who are in a revolutionary moment that finds them either progressing within mainstream America or in the third city of disconnection and discontent. Third city is the term used to address the social and economic networks of an underground and underworld separate from traditional American mainstream. Detroit with its long tradition of blue collar work ethic is struggling with the transformation of the post industrial era. What will become of Detroit with a massive exodus of citizens? Some might smirk at my contention that terrorism is in Detroit. I understand terrorism; it is global with terror in Asia, Africa, Middle East and in American urban centers. In the city of Baghdad terrorism had lots of firepower, exploding bombs and severe brutality between warring factions and U.S. troops. Is Detroit similar? Many young men have become mesmerized and hypnotized by a neologism of gangsta street culture that seems to forsake all humanity.

I say terror because of the many fine citizens trapped in their homes and apartments being held captive much like the ordeal in the dissolving Yugoslavia that found its citizens terrorized by armed conflict, bombings to settle differences. Why is this taking place in Detroit? Why is Midtown Detroit experiencing a 34% decline of crime? How can Detroit children learn in the midst of a daily campaign of gang-related violence, or in a gangsta environment?

The terrorism in Detroit leaves anyone open to risk. Two prominent religious leaders have experienced violence in their lives this year. Reverend Wendell Anthony’s mother lives in a subdivision of middle class homes with strong neighborhoods. Two young assailants invaded Mother Anthony's home similar to an incident some years ago when an assailant invaded the home of civil rights icon Rosa Parks. In both cases the assailants knew nothing of their victims’ status or contribution to American society. In the case of Rev. Anthony’s mother, law enforcement officials reported that the young boys knew nothing about Anthony or his civil rights leadership of the NAACP. The other prominent clergyman, Rev. Marvin Winans was battered, robbed, and carjacked in broad daylight last week. Many reports in our field gathering of data underscored from Detroit citizens outrage that this prominent pastor would be harmed in this manner. An elder senior citizen, a retired autoworker offered, "I don't go anywhere anymore. Now, see if they jump on a man of God...well, I am scared and I am worried in my own house at night. They respect nothing, they rape old women, kill babies and now they beating Rev. Winans. They killed that old man who was a church parking lot security guard. He had a gun and they still killed him. Nothing is safe; I am scared all the time..."

The normalization of ignorance and violence is upon Detroit.

The fact that Detroit is one of the poorest big cities along with Michigan’s own financial struggles underscores the challenges. This is much more than a Detroit or a race issue when we consider similar problems in the suburbs in recent months, such as the young man charged with murder of his father in Farmington Hills. Can the terrorism spread? The complexity of illicit narcotics, growing violence, poor education, strained public health and the failure of drug treatment and mental health support gives birth to terrorism when all else fails.

Gandhi said, "The deadliest form of violence is poverty." The Detroit with struggling fiscal matters is not part of the General Motors Detroit. The city, state, and federal government need to work with all members of different communities. The prison community is left out of many relevant discussions. Those coming out of prisons will either re-enter society or join forces with crime, terrorism that connects to their pain. That pain needs to be better understood and resolved. Urban terrorism is criminal, it is isolation and it is nurtured by poverty, ignorance and resentment.

Stable communities cultivate jobs, safe schools, homes and neighborhoods. Public safety and relevant education that trains and prepares its citizens for a level of skill development that is marketable is paramount in having successful communities that will prevent the conditions that breed disconnection and discontent.

Carl S. Taylor is a professor of sociology and African-American and African Studies at Michigan State University.
Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I was listening to an interview from Washington DC where Roland Martin was discussing how the black exodus of blacks from Detroit (black voters) was creating a loss of black leadership. His guest stated 235,000 people left Detroit during the years between 2000 and 2010.

In some areas Detroit was said to be populated with third world immigrants. I saw another site where immigration was advocated to increase urban populations.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Thursday night was a bad night for those of us in the near north end.

I live in the area some call the new Northern area. I have large dogs and from 1:30 a.m. to about 5 a.m. they were running through the house, barking and growling. I did not hear shots fired, but young people were roaming the streets most of the night. I am told there were shots fired in the vicinity of Brenda and Floyd Clack's home, about four blocks away. Last night seemed quiet.

But the real problems were in the metawanenee area south of Welch. For two nights families have been unable to sleep because of the gunfire. Thursday night they had loud mini explosions, probably fireworks. Last night there was shooting near the corner of Welch and Dupont, which is a frequent source of problems.

I listened to part of the radio show of Pastors Flynn and Threkhold this morning. The Pastors are recommending a no vote on the public safety millage request. They were told at recent meetings how the Mott foundation and others feared without the millage, they would not be able to get people to move into the city. Kurtz and Brown also indicated they realize what a burden this new tax will be on the low income and seniors on a fixed income.

The Pastor discussed the worsening impact the rising water bills and special assessments were already having on vulnerable populations. Pastor Flynn of Foss Avenue said his church, Foss Avenue Baptist, runs a child day care that cters to low income families and runs on a small profit margin. The water bills have risen from $300 a month to nearly a thousand a month, threatening the viability of the center.

They are awaiting the recent audit and stated rumors are that the deficit has more than doubled under Snyder's Emergency Manager law. They looked at salaries for this EM and noted the duplication of duties and high salaries for the newly appointed. They discussed Duane Miller as Brown's assistant. What wasn't said is who is paying Miller and can the city resolve the Conflicts-of-Interest that Miller brings to the table. Remember that Kurtz eliminated all of Rutherford's volunteers when he first became the Emergency financial manager after Stanley left.
Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Water bills - gotta pay for the Smith Village infrastructure.

Police millage - replace the general fund money used for police & free up the general fund money to pay all the cronies.

Trash fee - promised to have leaf pickup. Signs are already up in some areas although leaves have not started to fall.

Street light fee - my yard light, which costs me $30.00 per year to operate is brighter than the street light across the street.

Gun fights in the street - none this summer, those involved in last year's 4 shoot outs are either in jail, moved away or hiding out.

Maybe all the fees, millages & lack of police officers in the war zones are an attempt to drive low income people out of the city so it can be remade into a "Little Ann Arbor"

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I understand that raids are taking place but that Snyder has decided they will not be on the news.

In the meantime people are moving at a rapid pace because of the crime. Two nights ago my dogs and I were startled when someone kicked at the door at 1:48 am. Third time they have attempted a B&E. Really need to evaluate whether to continue living in Flint.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:03 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

My take on it also,powers that be making Flint into a little A2, forcing the poor people out with high water,garbage,light fees,,,is it a bad thing if crime leaves with them ? As to moving, not I , I like my home ,I have good neighbors and am well provisioned.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Website ranks Flint as third most dangerous place to live in the nation

David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com
on October 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM, updated October 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM

FLINT, MI -- A website says the city is the third most dangerous place to live in the nation.
Neighborhoodscout.com ranked 100 cities with 25,000 people or more based on FBI statistics. East St. Louis tops the list followed by Camden, N.J. West Memphis, Ark. and Saginaw follow Flint on the list to round out the top 5.

Flint reported 23.9 violent crimes per 1,000 residents in 2012 compared to the nationwide average of 3.9 violent crimes per 1,000 residents. The site also shows that "my chance of becoming a victim (of violent crime): 1 in 42."

The site also says residents have a 1 in 15 chance of becoming a victim of property crime.

Flint was No. 7 on the list last year.

FBI statistics for 2012 showed the city was the most dangerous city in the nation with more than 100,000 people.

Officials in Flint say crime is down so far in 2013.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:13 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I was looking at the home listings on M-live when I came across a simple home , 1018 Remington, priced at $502,800. Turns out it is a landlord selling 42 Flint area "turn key investment properties" all fully rented. (MLS #30031037)

Nor is this the first time I have encountered mass sales of rental properties in Flint. A friend of mine told me he is selling 39 Flint rentals. Landlords say their properties are targeted by metal thieves and vandals as soon as they become vacant.

Terry Hanson of Hanson Realty has assessed the value of some of his properties in Flint. Two bedroom rentals in shaky neighborhoods have minimal maintenance, but are allowed to enter tax foreclosure. Hanson gave some properties away to nonprofits. Even banks are donating properties to nonprofits, whether or not the nonprofit can adequately invest in the property.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Some of my friends have followed my lead and drove the streets from Flushing to Welch and Dupont to ML King. Many of these streets are devastated. When you compare the streets named on the scanners for problems and look at the homes, it is apparent that the problems are driving people away.

I was in one of the Home Depot stores and saw people coming in and asking where the moving boxes were. They stated they have had enough and wanted to leave Flint. I here that after rounds of shooting and other crimes this happens.

White, Green, and Newell Streets look more like a rural area than an urban one. Overgrown trees and vines surround very few homes. Mason, Dupont, Frances and Adams are in a serious decline.

I remember a discussion about the HUD monitoring report on Salem Housing and their inability to sell their rehabbed homes. It seems they had rehabbed homes in an area with signs warning drivers they were entering a drug area. Nolden was specifically asked about some homes north of Hamilton because he is on the grants committee. He shook his head as he stated the homes had been trashed by vandals. Once again poor planning and use of resources created issues with HUD.

I believe the estimates on the amount of population loss will be greater than anticipated and will occur sooner than projected.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:18 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: