FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Council-Manager Government

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
flintsalive
F L I N T O I D

Why don't some of you local activists put together a petition to amend the Charter to a Council-Manager form of government instead of wasting your time crying about mismanagment and ethical violations be elected officials. We can take much of the daily decision-making away from the elected idiots (including Williamson) and hire someone to actually run the City. I know we already have Ms. Cook . . . but really, where did she get her MPA? Oh wait, probably does not have one (or any other REAL credentials to manage a city of 100,000+ people). If you're going to pay nearly $100K for an employee, they better have the appropriate education! ANd they better be the top dawg (not answering to some bonehead Mayor)!

Mayor and Council would still be elected to part time spots - Mayor would be President of the Council, and they would agree to appoint a professional manager and maybe an assistant manager to take care of regualr business, propose policies to the Council, take care of media relations, economic dev, ect. It works very well all over the country (especially in municipalities where the residents are smart enough to invest thier tax dollars in a professional rather than a politician).

Check out the prospering cities in MI - most are Council-Manager . . . also check out the prospering states - their best Cities are typically Council-Manager, too.

Sorry, I don't post on here much; has this been discussed in the past?
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Al Garcia

amen to that flintsalive!
Ive been preaching that for a while now. You hire an management team to run the city. Let the mayor cut ribbons and toss dirt with a golden shovel. Maybe if Flint made the change, the city could ACTUALLY have more oppotunities to cut ribbons and use that golden shovel. That would mean Flint is moving forward, bringing jobs and people back to Flint.
Here in Portland maine, we have had a small group of people try to bring back the strong mayor type of government. Both times, it was shot down soundly by voters. Our "part time" mayor ($2,500 a year) and council ($2,000 a year) are citizens first, not politicians!
Our outgoing Mayor James Cohen used that golden shovel recently to break ground on a new Ocean Gate Terminal to bring bigger cruise ships into town. We are looking forward to that new 10,000 seat civic center. Both projects and the 2 major hotels coming soon spearheaded by own great Town Manager and his team. Theyre not worried about the next election or getting their "mug" on the 6 oclock news. They were hired for one thing....to get the job done!
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:06 pm 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:32 pm 
Al Garcia

Hey Larry, Jim Cohen is a great guy. Yes, Munjoy Hill guy, was our mayor for the past year, the council chooses a new mayor every year. Nick Mavadones is Portland's mayor and just took office on Monday. It is such a diverse area now. All types of color moving here, and all are welcomed with open arms. A couple years ago, Portland even made an african american lesbian as mayor. The Portland area is busting at the seems.Beautiful Double "AA" baseball stadium downtown on Park Ave by Deering Oaks Park, state of the art 9,000 seat home of the defending Eastern League Champions, Portland SeaDogs, "AA" team of the Boston RedSox, top attendence in all AA baseball, airport is huge now, New Cabela's coming to town next year, Turnpike expanded, Portland Pirates (Ducks top club) play at the Civic Center, Cruise ships bring 2-4 million dollars to local shops, resturants and stores each visit, QE2 makes two stops a year. Voted the second most livable city recently. The Maine Mall is the biggest shopping area north of Boston now. I could go on and on. Local businesses continue to thrive and grow. Things are good. How often do you make it home? Doesnt sound like it is to often. If you come back, you wont want to go back to Flint!
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:16 pm 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:56 am 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:12 am 
trb

quote:
flintsalive schreef:
Why don't some of you local activists put together a petition to amend the Charter to a Council-Manager form of government instead of wasting your time crying about mismanagment and ethical violations be elected officials. We can take much of the daily decision-making away from the elected idiots (including Williamson) and hire someone to actually run the City. I know we already have Ms. Cook . . . but really, where did she get her MPA? Oh wait, probably does not have one (or any other REAL credentials to manage a city of 100,000+ people). If you're going to pay nearly $100K for an employee, they better have the appropriate education! ANd they better be the top dawg (not answering to some bonehead Mayor)!

Mayor and Council would still be elected to part time spots - Mayor would be President of the Council, and they would agree to appoint a professional manager and maybe an assistant manager to take care of regualr business, propose policies to the Council, take care of media relations, economic dev, ect. It works very well all over the country (especially in municipalities where the residents are smart enough to invest thier tax dollars in a professional rather than a politician).

Check out the prospering cities in MI - most are Council-Manager . . . also check out the prospering states - their best Cities are typically Council-Manager, too.

Sorry, I don't post on here much; has this been discussed in the past?

OKAY FLINT

Some are talking about changing the form of Flint Government. Changing the form of Flints government is meaningless unless we change this communities expectations of and demands for good government.

Its not the form of government , it’s the expectation of the community, the good people who choose to become involved in policy debate, the perspective they bring and those who choose to run for public office.

To cause change we begin with the community.

But how!

Become leaders for government accountability.

Become leaders for the value of good government.

Become a leader for helping good people become active in their community.

Don’t wait to follow just lead!

To do my part I am sponsoring a workshop the last Sat in Feb. 2007 at the Church on the R.O.C..

This workshop with your help will give good people information on the Flint Board of Education to become involved in policy debate. Additionally material will be presented on how to run for public office.

I need your help. To help email me at attorneybankert@yahoo.com and I will update you with additional details.

Why this topic. We cannot separate the school system from the future of this community. Activating new people under this umbrella will over flow into other areas.

I need sponsors to help promote.

I need presenters.

I need an organizing committee.

Let me know if you are interested in attending or helping.

Terry Bankert
12/07/06
Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:27 am 
flintsalive
F L I N T O I D

quote:
trb schreef:

OKAY FLINT

Some are talking about changing the form of Flint Government. Changing the form of Flints government is meaningless unless we change this communities expectations of and demands for good government.

Its not the form of government , it’s the expectation of the community, the good people who choose to become involved in policy debate, the perspective they bring and those who choose to run for public office.

To cause change we begin with the community . . .

Terry Bankert
12/07/06

TRB -

I agree that our community has to change, but the elected officials must take the first step. Most of our residents are disinterested and jaded because of all the crap that has went on since Stanley and Williamson started their terms. It will take quite some time to change the way that the people of Flint view government; but at least we can start correcting it now, so future generations don't start off with the government distrust and disdain that the current generation shows.
Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:33 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Flint used to have a Council-Manager form of government. The charter was changed because people wanted a direct say in who was running the city. Under the Council-Manager system, the manager is appointed by the Council and serves at their pleasure. He/She either does things THEIR way, or he's gone. Back in the late 50's, the City Manager was Harold Chirgwin, a former neighbor, was City Manager.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Is harold still alive?
Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:17 pm 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:28 pm 
Don

I say not until after Mayor Don has completed his work.
Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
Is harold still alive?

No, he died several years ago. As far as I know, his wife is still alive.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: