FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Board of ED President moves child

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Rapunzel

Board of ed president moves child
Daughter transfers out of troubled SWA
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Saturday, December 02, 2006
By Bob Wheaton
bwheaton@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6375
QUICK TAKE
At issue
The daughter of Flint Board of Education President Stephanie Robb-Martin has transferred to a school that's not part of the Flint district.
• WHAT CRITICS SAY: The switch raises questions about why the school board president would have her daughter go to another school.
• WHAT SUPPORTERS SAY: Families may have legitimate personal reasons for choosing where their children go to school, and that doesn't change because a parent is on the school board.
FLINT - The 11th-grade daughter of the Flint Board of Education president has transferred to a private school, a move that's being questioned by some parents.
Stephanie Robb-Martin said in a written statement that the move "was made as the result of a collaborative family decision with the best interest of our child as the only criterion."
"I am a parent first," she said in the statement.
She would not answer questions from the Flint Journal about her daughter's recent transfer out of Southwestern Academy, a school that's been plagued this year by parent and teacher complaints about overcrowding and discipline problems. The Flint Journal was unable to confirm where Robb-Martin's daughter is going to school now.
Southwestern parent Shanda Russey said she believes Robb-Martin's actions set a poor example.
"If you tell us that the school system is working, why would you sign your daughter out?" Russey asked. "We have to find out what's really going on with our school system for her to pull her child out."
Russey has criticized conditions at Southwestern this school year and headed a short-lived effort to recall Robb-Martin and six other board members. The recall effort has been dropped.
Seventh- and eighth-graders are set to move from Southwestern to the former McKinley Academy next week to alleviate the overcrowding.
Other Board of Education members defended Robb-Martin, saying school board members have a right to decide where to send their children.
"I don't get between a mother and her children," said board member Vera J. Perry.
Board members Erica Leverette, Herbert Cleaves and Paul Jordan said they don't fault Robb-Martin, either.
While her son now goes to school in the district, Leverette said she had pulled him from Flint schools to attend a private school and a charter school before she became a board member.
She re-enrolled him in the district this year because she saw progress under new Superintendent Walter Milton Jr.'s sweeping school reform plan, Leverette said.
Jordan said Robb-Martin told him about the transfer.
"I would hope that people would ask her what the reasons are and judge from that, as opposed to just going on whatever guesses they might have," he said.
Robb-Martin couldn't be reached for comment Friday, but she faxed The Flint Journal a written statement that didn't explain the reason for the move. When asked about the issue earlier in the week, she would not confirm or deny the transfer.
"My younger children remain in the Flint schools," she said in the written statement. "We are pleased with the care and education they are receiving from our schools."
Bette Bigsby, president of the Genesee County Association of School Board Members, said it's not common for school board members to pull their children from their school systems, but she said it happens.
Bigsby, an Atherton school board member, said that during her tenure on the board, her daughter chose to transfer from Atherton High School to an alternative school in the Carman-Ainsworth School District.
"As a parent, you have to know your child and you have to make the best educational decision that's going to fit your child, whether it's the district you're in, a private school, or a charter school," she said.
Fenton Board of Education member Winston Stoody said both of his children go to Powers Catholic High School.
Stoody said he believes Fenton is an excellent district, but his children decided to leave Fenton High School.
His son transferred because he preferred Powers' cross country track program, he said, and his daughter decided to follow him there last school year.
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:46 pm 
Don

Do you blame her??? LMAO kids get sub par eddducation in da flint publac schuls.
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:52 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

It could be for a number of reasons, many of which shouldn't be publicized...for example, what if some other students knowing that the student was the daughter of a school board member was threatening/picking on her?

It would be embarrassing for the child to have that come out, that she was being victimized by others, and we all know how cruel these kids can be...especialy if it was just verbal or anonymous harrassment...something that the student couldn't prove or identify the culprits.

And of course there is an issue for the school board member/parent if they respond. They may be subject to criticism for using their position to if the issue is addressed.

So you are damned if you do and damned if you don't and in the meantime, the child suffers.

So I could easily understand if I was a board member and my kid came to me and said they were facing pressures they shouldn't have to just because of who their parent was..that they would want to NOT attend the school I was a teacher or board member of.

I really have no problem with Ms Robb-Martin's decision.

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:06 pm 
Al Garcia

Come on Biggie.....stop making excuses. You know the truth about Flint schools.
When the President of the school board moves her kid, it means one thing...the school just isnt good enough. Plain and simple.
If Robb-Martin moves her kid for safety reasons, that means the school is unable to keep her safe, If she moved her because Robb-Martin thought she wasnt getting a quality education, once again who's to blame? Thats right, the Flint school system!
Why do you have to go and confuse people? Residents of Flint have big problems but they arent stupid Big!
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:47 pm 
rapunzel

I asked to have my child released from FCS to attend a neighboring public school. I support public schools. I was denied.

In Elementary FCS is a great choice, No charter schools can compare to the programs offered. IF you have a good principal your child is safe as can be. We have some excellent teachers and administrators that go the extra mile to include parents in the decision making process.

We do have a few that are not. It takes an involved parent to support great programs to be able to voice opinions on not so great changes. Otherwise only voicing negative ...further creates the belief that parents only complain.

Moving on to the subject of secondary schools.. Reform Plan-
# 25 under district challenges- "parents and community persons hold poor perceptions of the schools located in north Flint and unrealistic and inflated perceptions of schools located in South and Central Flint."

Milton has destroyed any inflated opinions (programs) of Southwestern Academy. So much so the FCS board president has removed her child!

I attended the appointment interview for Stephanie Robb Martin- she said something to the effect of she was returning to Flint to make it a better place for her children. That she had children in the district and had a vested interest in making it better for her children.

I will have to ask for the interview tape to get exact wording. I believe she was appointed on the premise that she cared about FCS and would have her children enrolled.

Every parent has the right to make the best personal choice for their child. That said, release my child... because you "the board and administration" has taken choice out of parents hands. I can no longer choose SW, I can no longer choose McKinley k-8. I can not afford a private school.

SoI no longer have a choice but to send my child to a building that should be condemned. Whittier and Central are the oldest buildings in the district. The mold and asbestos would make my child unable to breathe.

The board president can afford to make a choice for her child that those allowed a free public education can not.

This is her choice. My choice is free public education be equal to those that can not afford private schools. That all children learn in an evironment free from mold and asbestos. That parents have a choice in the environment that they send thier child to 180 days a year.

My choice is to vote for a board president that will make adifference in Flint Public Schools rather than transferring her child to a better environment.

Vote for anyone but Stephanie Robb Martin in May 2007 election.
Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:08 am 
rapunzel

Biggie,

I know principals that have children that they purposely put in other schools under different administrators. In this way the children do not suffer retribution for the sometimes schoolwide behavior adjustments. If many children are acting up and what I call double secret probation. (Animal House) is enacted.

At SW this student could have been under extreme peer pressure. As many at SW are not happy with changes that have made this school not function to its original levels.

We were to enact in school suspensions but that has not happened as we are 3.8mill over budget. Kids causing problems are disrupting classrooms.

1 problem can stop learning for 30. A #of principals can't address this if they are not willing to teach a suspension class.

RAP
Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:36 am 
Chris

SHAME ON HER!!
Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:42 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: