FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ideas ways Flint could save or raise money

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Marcos

Here a just some ideas I think Flint could either save or raise money.

1. Conduct a citywide survey on commercial/industrial properties who use private waste collection. Look at how much they are charged for collection. Present a detailed plan to city council asking for about 4-6 new garbage trucks and employees to staff them and attempt to charge a cheaper city service(waste collection) than the private companies to these properties to raise money.

2. Eliminate Ombudsman office.
3. Collaborate with state, federal, surrounding communites, local institutions, nonprofits, private businesses to share cost on services and programs for city of flint.

3. Combine city departments such as planning and major grants. Possible fire and police department.

Then here is an idea I had to improve the police coverage for our city, and note that I dont show how to fund, but hey its a good idea, I think. Demolis PD Headquarters and construct smaller one. Then in each ward construct a small 24 hr. station with 10-20 police cops. All administrative and detective bureau/ other agencies in smaller pd headquarters, which will act as the station for that ward as well.
Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:16 pm 
Don

#5 Do not elect Dayne Walling, and let Don Williamson continue to improve our city, and bring more jobs here.

#6 Hire 100 more police officers

#7 Build Convention Center/Downtown Areana.
Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:07 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Here are my thoughts
1. Too complicated fro Flint to actually do. Businesses are typically more efficiaent than government anyways.
2. Can't be done without approval by the citizens or the council which would not do this and the citizens already voted to keep it.
3. Good idea. I think we could combine school districts with Beecher. I think a Flint township Flint merger would make sense if we had a competent government in Flint but we do not have that yet.
4. Good Idea. I think the budget and Finance departments could be combined. I think we could eliminate victims advocacy and instead focus on preventing victims.
5. I'd vote for Dayne over Williamson
6. Not a bad idea but I think we do need police dogs and more investigators particulary murder investigators. I think we should also pay snitches. Most snitches do not want to risk getting killed but for $100 they might be more willing to come forward.
7. Auto World, IMA we are number 3 in crime. I think this would be a bad idea but We could build another Oak Business center or a fela market or have Walmart build a store downtown. Malls generally have anchor stores. If we have a Walmart downtown perhaps that could be like the old Montgomery Ward or whatever they had downtown.
Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:53 pm 
dubalya

yea, why not walmart in a union town, they already surround it
Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:59 pm 
Al Garcia

WOW....throw out Dubalya's comments and there is actually some things to chew on. Way to go Adam and Marcos. The city can start with organizing some grassroots thinktanks made up of everyday people who actually give a damn, Im sure the city could start right here with people who are knowledgable about problems that the city faces and have unique enlightened ideas for starting to turn the city around.
The evil heads of educational issues and racial division need to be front and center, nothing can be done until the children of Flint are provided a quality education and black, white and brown faced children are not taught to hate each other. That is the type of "home school education" that needs to end. We all know that hate starts right in the comfort of ones home. Until the adults of Flint stop telling children to hate someone because they are "different", nothing will change in Flint. Not a damn thing and everyone knows it!
Things might not change in this generation but the people and parents have the power to change it for the next. Until then....nothing will change.
What do Dayne and Dale think????
Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:30 pm 
Joe

#11 RE ELECT DAYNE WALLING IN 2011
Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:48 am 
rapunzel

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
WOW....throw out Dubalya's comments and there is actually some things to chew on. Way to go Adam and Marcos. The city can start with organizing some grassroots thinktanks made up of everyday people who actually give a damn, Im sure the city could start right here with people who are knowledgable about problems that the city faces and have unique enlightened ideas for starting to turn the city around.
The evil heads of educational issues and racial division need to be front and center, nothing can be done until the children of Flint are provided a quality education and black, white and brown faced children are not taught to hate each other. That is the type of "home school education" that needs to end. We all know that hate starts right in the comfort of ones home. Until the adults of Flint stop telling children to hate someone because they are "different", nothing will change in Flint. Not a damn thing and everyone knows it!
Things might not change in this generation but the people and parents have the power to change it for the next. Until then....nothing will change.
What do Dayne and Dale think????

Herb Cleaves needs to rest in may 2007- he says teachers do not understand Black students, many have been suspended repeatedly.
He should have kept an eye on the super adding upper admin, high cost benefits and contracts. Leaving no money for in school suspension teachers- we have needed this long before the last two superintendents. He has been on the board for 8 years, he should have known this.

Sobey students had NO issues with color- were performing above AYP. children & teachers knew No color. That is not the case across the city but that was working here.

Civic Engagement meeting was well attended today...many that care about Flint!

Where was AL?
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:28 am 
Al Garcia

I'll tell you were I was, proudly making sure the bad guys become good law abiding citizens, earning a pretty good days pay to support my family, picking up dinner and my son from gymnastics after work and taking the whole family to my daughters soccer game. Coming home and reading books to my kids, putting them to bed and relaxing with my beautiful wife and checking e-mail and my favorite site before bed.
To bad more people around my age in Flint arent given an opportunity like that. Thats right, I said opportunity.
Sort of makes you think.....doesnt it?
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:50 pm 
Al Garcia

another thing.......I was one of the color blind Sobey kids!
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:51 pm 
Al Garcia

One of my heros in life??

Eugene Rutledge. He is an amazing educator.

He was my 3rd grade Teacher.......at Sobey!
Thanks Mr. R.
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:54 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
I'll tell you were I was, proudly making sure the bad guys become good law abiding citizens, earning a pretty good days pay to support my family, picking up dinner and my son from gymnastics after work and taking the whole family to my daughters soccer game. Coming home and reading books to my kids, putting them to bed and relaxing with my beautiful wife and checking e-mail and my favorite site before bed.
To bad more people around my age in Flint arent given an opportunity like that. Thats right, I said opportunity.
Sort of makes you think.....doesnt it?

Al,
what makes you think it doesn't happen here?

it does.

you just choose to believe that for every bad thing you read about here, you extrapolate it and multiply it in your own mind that its occurring to everyone.

it isn't.

no go make a hot toddy, get comfy, we'll carry on without you.

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:29 am 
Al Garcia

Cant get rid of me that fast Biggie, You know that!
Stop carrying on looking through those rose colored glasses. There have been NO REAL SOLUTIONS to the problems in Flint in decades.
Facts are facts, Flint continues to rate at or near the bottom for quality of life, jobs, education resources for children and opportunities for high school or college graduates. Flint ranks at or near the top in crimes, street violence, drugs and drop out rates.
Are these all lies? Come on Biggie. Its the plain truth.
How many Gen Xers are creating opportunities for themselves in Flint Michigan? Dayne Walling? Great, how about a majority of people his age?
The answer is no, people dont see a future in Flint. They look for opportunities elsewhere. Places to raise a family in a safe environment, where you dont have to live in fear, you know your children are safe at the bus stop and dont fear driving into a bad neighborhood.
Is it wrong to want that for your family?
The problems are mulitplied in Flint, you know, I know it and most of Flint knows it.
If you want to wear your glasses and lock your doors, thats your choice. Its a sad place when one has to look out their window through steal bars. Youre at home, not prison
The hot toddy is great, thanks for asking!
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:51 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: