FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Council president wants crime summit
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Let me interject here.

Yes the council was taking the Mayor to court in order to get him to abide by the judge's (Judge Neithercut) prior order to appoint a police Chief. Basically the judge made a ruling but now is refusing to enforce it.

The Council has been patient in waiting on this "make believe" Nation wide search for a Chief. It's the people that are pushing the council into doing their job. Because the mayor refuses to listen to the citizens. His policies are a obvious failure to everyone but himself. Crime is going up under this administration. It's a fact. He has hired more officers than flint has had in four years. He has a smaller city to run. Yet Crime is still going up. An effective leader is necessary to any organization. We don't have a leader.

What the judge also dismissed was the case by the City attorney where she was taking the Council to court for her failing to do her job! YES that's exactly what she was doing. She was present at all decisions made by council then tried to claim they made the decision to take the mayor to court and hire their own attorney without going through her. Hmmm Where the hell was she the when they did it? Was she sleeping when they voted on it? Was she painting her nails when they were discussing it? If i was her I'd kept my mouth shut, rather than show everyone how miserably she had failed at doing her job! It was obvious and clearly a political move. On that point I believe the judge ruled correctly.

quote:
You'll see judges ignore "city charters" and the like.....they are all about of reaching compromises as solutions. You may find it surprising, even threatening...I just chalk it up to business as usual.

Personally I don't find it threatening. I find it deplorable. Who do we go to if those making the laws don't follow their own rules if not a judge? How do you on one hand swear an oath to uphold the laws of this city, state and country? Then refuse to live by them on the other. Then proclaim that the LAW no longer matters. They should find a way to compromise... C'mon! I'll try that the next time I'm pulled over for speeding. Hey officer, can't we compromise? I don't want to pay the fine, so I'm not going to. We get to court and the judge says. Why don't you guys sit down and figure out a compromise. It isn't going to happen. So it appears if you’re an elected official and got a lot of money. You don't have to worry about having to follow the rules. Just bully those around you and make them compromise. Make them accept only the part of the law you want to follow.

That’s the point. I hope this doesn’t sound condescending or rude. It’s just why have laws or charters or ordinances. If they are now only guidelines that don’t have to be followed unless both parties decide too. Better yet, from now on. Let’s all just follow the laws that are in each individual’s best interest. That way, no one ever breaks the law. They just follow the ones they want to.
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Hey Ted,
What if anything did neithercut say about enforcing his earlier order? Surely the council would have pressed him to enforce his own order?
Did he totally ignore the fact he himself ordered the admin to take action and they haven't? or did he wink wink accept "we're still working on it"....

Regarding your example. There is a world of difference between an example of a citizen breaking a law and having to answer for it, and one of the branches of gov't...the judiciary, having to to weigh in on a legal conflict between the other two branches of the gov't.

because our system of government has explicitly assigned powers and responsibilty between the justice, executive and legistaive branches, in order to create balance of government, it is my opinion when the case involves two of the three, the third usually steps very gingerly in resolving it, knowing the repercussions could come back to shake not only their branch, but the entire system of gov't. They don't want to create an imbalance, with their decision.
Thus if Neithercut rules for one side or the other, the result may be going forward, an imbalance in that one side gains some strategic advantage over the other.
Judges face no such potential ramifications when administering justice to you or I....

I haven't had a chance to review his decision in any detail. Is it available anywhere?

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 am 
Dave

Well, the crime has to stop for sure. But it will take a big plan to make it happen. Can it even be done?
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:20 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

well Biggie, I must admit. I'm using the Flint Urinal as a resource. How much can anyone really believe on anything it prints. It seems to me it was someone I trust to report the facts, however, not necessarily all of the facts. Although that may not be his fault. Editors have the real responsibility.

I must have a really screwed up paradigm that I view things from. I don't distinguish between an official abiding by the law and a citizen abiding by the Law. We should all be held accountable to the Law. To me right is always right and wrong is always wrong.

I too am interested in how or why the Judge ruled not to enforce his own court order. (seems tome council read it aloud in one of the meetings) The journal isn't always reliable as to the real facts in any story.

As I've discovered (by going down to the courthouse and reading the arguments myself) that what is reported isn't always what actually happened. LOL

I don't have the time to take off work to go down and do the research.

I do know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. People that recognize me from my show have asked me what I thought after they explained to me basically the exact same thing I've been saying on here.
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Whathappenedtoit!!!

What happened to the crime summit?
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:36 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Biggie to bring it back to the crime summit. If the city of Flint can not enforce the charter or ordinances which should be simple to do how do you expect it to do more complicated things like open a jail or hunt down criminals?

Also if the U.S. constituion, State constitution and city constitution are so easy for judges like Neithercut to ignore what kind of government do we have? Anartchy? or a dictatorshiup like here in Flint. If we don't need a police chief, master plan, planning commision ordinance enforcement we should put that in the charter. While we're at that should we legalize retribution killings in Flint? If your friend is killed and you really want justice that's your best chance for justice in Flint. If you do the retribution killing you'll most likely get away with it. This is the system of justice we currently have in Flint.

On another note the reason our sidewalks look like crap is we don't enforce the sidewalk ordinance.
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:43 pm 
pissed off ma ma bear

Adam Ford,,,,no first things first,,,,before a chief is appointed they present thier ideas,,,,and the best chief wins,,,the best ideas get the job
Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:37 pm 
William Shakespear

quote:
Adam schreef:
Biggie to bring it back to the crime summit. If the city of Flint can not enforce the charter or ordinances which should be simple to do how do you expect it to do more complicated things like open a jail or hunt down criminals?

Also if the U.S. constituion, State constitution and city constitution are so easy for judges like Neithercut to ignore what kind of government do we have? Anartchy? or a dictatorshiup like here in Flint. If we don't need a police chief, master plan, planning commision ordinance enforcement we should put that in the charter. While we're at that should we legalize retribution killings in Flint? If your friend is killed and you really want justice that's your best chance for justice in Flint. If you do the retribution killing you'll most likely get away with it. This is the system of justice we currently have in Flint.

On another note the reason our sidewalks look like crap is we don't enforce the sidewalk ordinance.

Dear Saints of Flint Talk

Every problem contains within it the seeds of its own solution. You from your sink hole of republican small government anti judicial activism raise judical activism as a charge against the good judge Neithercuit when in effect he chooses to not allow the court to be diminished and sucked into the council mayorial squabloe that is better resolved by the electorate through recall and primary and general elections. The juges chooses to not be a judicial activist and you then accue him of it. Either you are a fool and do not understand what judicial activism is or you are a lier! Which is it?

Part of the problem today is that we have a surplus of simple answers and a shortage of simple solutions. One would think that simple peoiple could give simple answers. But alas it is the opposite in life. SImple answer: Hold Don Williamson politically accountable for his bad political dees. It you are right you will prevail. If you are wrong you will be ground into dust and live amoung the mites. Recall Buchanan, defeat Don Williamson in the 07 mayorial. Otherwise shut up!

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. You are near sighted and blind in the left eye. Only your right wing works. Often flapping before your mind engages.

Any fool can criticize, complain, condem and most fools do. We are just disappointed that you have joined this club. We expected so much more from the tire guy and computer system guy.

It is much easier to be critical than correct. You have chosen the easy road.

Conceit wouldn't be so terrible if only the right people had it.

Pleeease splann yourself

" And thus I clothe my naked villany
with odd old ends stolen forth of Holy Writ,
And seem a saint when most I play the devil."

William Shakespear
Richard III
Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:01 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

You don't think what worked in carriage town would work in the rest of the city? I don't think we need to look at ideas we need to look at results. From what I have heard Gary Hartley brought results. We can talk all day about ideas but I think we need a police chief that can bring results and not just some ideas.

I guess I should have clarified things though. I'm not wordy like Ted. I assumed that the average person would know that when you are hiring someone you try and hire the best candidate. I believe Hartley/Williams are the best candidates.
Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:40 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Every problem contains within it the seeds of its own solution. You from your sink hole of republican small government anti judicial activism raise judical activism as a charge against the good judge Neithercuit when in effect he chooses to not allow the court to be diminished and sucked into the council mayorial squabloe that is better resolved by the electorate through recall and primary and general elections.

Oh why Yes!! Why would we want to diminish the Court by having it actually rule on a rule of Law? God Forbid! Why not just have Judges sit in their court rooms all day and listen to people complain about their injustice and then hand the two parties gloves and have them step outside. However, under this type of judicial ruling we wouldn't use a referee either. If Judges don't enforce the law or judge whether one of both parties violated the rules (INCLUDING THIER OWN) why would we need judges? Hey how about we just turn the system over to the Law of the Jungle? “Might Makes right” or “Only the strong survive.” If we are not a nation of Laws and have Judges to ensure that Justice is being done? Then why have them in the First Place. We are as the evolutionist suggests. Just evolved animals and he who has the most power wins. What am I saying… It’s already like that. LOL

quote:
Part of the problem today is that we have a surplus of simple answers and a shortage of simple solutions.
Can’t say that’s the truth either. As what can be more simple than opening the City jail (one of the Don’s Campaign Promises) which already has a proven track record of lowering crime in Flint. Instead of Hiring more officers to take criminals home because there isn’t any room in the county Jail! Why not open the City Jail, do what we need to, in order to get it State Certified and then start actually punishing crime? Simple enough suggestion and solution!

quote:
Any fool can criticize, complain, condem and most fools do. We are just disappointed that you have joined this club. We expected so much more from the tire guy and computer system guy.
I never complain unless I have a solution! You may not like the solution. But it will be one that will work. I always fall back on what has worked in the Past! Plus see if something can be done in order to help prevent it again in the future! Oh ad Speaking of Fools and criticism …

Ah, well, I am a great and sublime fool. But then I am God's fool, and all His work must be contemplated with respect. ~ Mark Twain
Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:30 pm 
pissed off ma ma bear

I got my own CRIME SUMMIT a 357 laying in my lap when I am out and about,,,,Think I shall now change my name to PISTOL PACKING MA MA
Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:25 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: