FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: and the winners are............

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Looks like Weiss has a comfortable lead over challenger Zerka, though I haven't heard him projected as the winner yet. Still he's been running nearly 30 points ahead.

Granholm and Stabenow projected as winners..looks like DeVos starts selling closet organizers tomorrow. Wonder if he'll have a post election sale?
Bouchard can keep on chaperoning his daughter's dates for another 6 years.

May god grant the victors the grace and wisdom to lead and improve the state of the economy in Michigan.

didn't see any other surprises yet..still early in the statewide tabulations, though early on Prop 2 is surprising in the Yes vote...lets see if it prevails when all the state is in.

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:29 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

what a way to hit the sack LMAO to this last post LOL Thanks for the chuckle. Nice analogy. I guess I need to order an amway catalog if I want to support Dick Devos. LOL
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
Looks like Weiss has a comfortable lead over challenger Zerka, though I haven't heard him projected as the winner yet. Still he's been running nearly 30 points ahead.

Granholm and Stabenow projected as winners..looks like DeVos starts selling closet organizers tomorrow. Wonder if he'll have a post election sale?
Bouchard can keep on chaperoning his daughter's dates for another 6 years.

May god grant the victors the grace and wisdom to lead and improve the state of the economy in Michigan.

didn't see any other surprises yet..still early in the statewide tabulations, though early on Prop 2 is surprising in the Yes vote...lets see if it prevails when all the state is in.

well ted, I was suspicious of the prop 2 thing doing so well and I was right, apparently the large urban areas came in late, and Prop 2 was defeated.
So affirmative action is still in play.

Like former Supreme COurt Justice Sandra day O'Conner opined in supporting UofMs affirmative action, prejudicial but necessary expediant for NOW to make up for past behaviors. BUT she expressed a concern in that she didn't know how or when society would recognize that it would be no longer necessary, and stop this form of discrimination.

Human nature being it what it is, a group of people receiving a benefit over another group, is unlikely on their own to agree its no longer necessary or required. We don't give up a superior position willingly, without any other stimulus. Who would give up free money because some other guy or group wasn't getting it? So it means at some time in the future, some person will have to bring action again to address the issue again.

and so it goes.......

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:49 pm 
luke sabucco

Proposal 2 Affirmative Action -- precincts reporting (99%)
Yes 2,131,488 58% (X)
No 1,539,431 42%
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:42 pm 
ellwoodflint

"May god grant the victors the grace and wisdom to lead and improve the state of the economy in Michigan."

Do you think as a people that we will ever let them for the greater good of everyone?
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:08 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

The problem is we don't have the money to buy the right votes to benifit the average person. That's what I believe is the Bottom Line!
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
luke sabucco schreef:
Proposal 2 Affirmative Action -- precincts reporting (99%)
Yes 2,131,488 58% (X)
No 1,539,431 42%

Luke you are correct, I mispoke, in that affirmative action went down, not the proposal went down.

Which by the way, I also agree with,

Affirmative action is discrimination. If we ever want to achieve ML King's vision, we must stop creating differences in treatment. While no government can control what is in the heart/mind of an individual, thus personal prejudices will always survive, we establish the foundations of how institutions should see & treat individuals. Thus we have laws forbidding discrimination on a number of criteria. We should not at the same time then add to the other side of the scale, laws giving preferences and creating distinctions.

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:39 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Even with the defeat of affirmative action. I think we could do "affirmative action" by improving our minoritty schools, legalizing home business, lessening crime, hiring black and wite officers from Flint etc. Another way to do "affirmative action" is going after racism. They had some problems in California after the end of affirmative action but that was lessened greatly by attacking racism.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:05 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Here again, Government has attemptted to legislate attitudes and opinions. Only through working together, or learning to work together, acccepting peoples differences can racism be abolished. You cannot create laws that legislate thought! Laws that control people thoughts (hearts and minds) are the reason the Founding fathers created a wall of seperation between the Chuch and State. So that the Church can affect government but Government cannot affect the church. (That is if you take the quote IN CONTEXT) You cannot make someone "Love thy Neighbor." That can only happen through the changing of peoples hearts!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Hmmm what a novel idea.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:06 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: