FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Homeless shelters for single fathers

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
kingtorrell
F L I N T O I D

Flint we have a minority group thats on the rise and growing rapidly its SINGLE FATHERS/DADS, and for some of us the task at hand is very humbling. I've had legal custody of my son for over 10 years now and it has truly made me have more respect single moms and their daily struggles, because I have been placed between a rock and a hard place, in a city like Flint I find it disheartining that there is not a homeless shelter for single Fathers in our city, I am sorry there is a womens shelter that will take in Fathers, but they have only one bed and just looking for a place this past weekend I personally talked to two other Fathers who are going thru the same perdicament. As a Vetern of the US Marine Corp and Desert Storm I was under the impression that it would not be a problem to get help but it is, for the first couple of nights we stayed at the local hospital in order to stay warm and safe, but thanks to a few friends they were able to provide temporary shelter for my son while I stay in a homeless shelter, but this has caused another problem, my son and I being away from one another hes been by my side for 10 years. I really hope that this can open up some type of forum so we can get this situation taking care of, so that along with single moms, singles dads will be given the same chances.
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
pan8
F L I N T O I D

The Marine Corps will raise it's end strength to 202k. Assuming you received good paper upon your discharge then re-enlist. Many single parents in the Marines.

Pan8
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

If you can contact a gent by the name of Rev. Bobby Jackson on the corner of Industrial and Wager? I think that that's the name of the cross streets. The address is 4618 Roberts St. in Flint. Phone: (810) 282-2510

He is running a shelter for people during the day, hopefully by Nov. or Dec. one will open up for people in your predicament. I don't know if you are going to be able to get internet access again soon.

But first and foremost this is a shitty way for vets to be treated.....Your situation HAS been spoken of in light of women not having custody, trust me on that.

Do you have ANY relatives that you can count on in the area at all? Others here are ready to help you find information on the board. I am signing off for awhile, but use the resources that others here will provide and give Mr. Jackson a call...please!!!
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:35 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

damn.. dan kildee needs to see this post. he holds lots of unused property. surely something could be done! Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

This is a serious topic for sure. kingtorrell, I copied your post to the political side of the forum seems to be many more folks reading that maybe someone has some helpful suggestions. Thats about all I got for you but good luck.

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:13 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Is your son enrolled in summer school? He could be getting breakfast and lunch there.
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:08 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: