FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Judge Weiss campaign

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
TRB

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
This Friday, September 29 is the parade in Swartz Creek, as Lisa said we
need to make a strong showing. October 6 we are handing out balloons at the Grand Blanc Homecoming parade.
October 13 is a parade in Davison, our participation is still not confirmed.
Every Friday night we will be at football games around the county handing
out WEISS literature.

Starting in October, each Saturday morning we will be handing out balloons
and literature at the Farmer's Market.

Lisa Lang is coordinating the volunteer effort; please contact her at llang39@sbc.global.net to sign up or for more information.

YARD SIGNS
Chuck Desotelle has kindly agreed to work on getting the yard signs up!
Forward addresses to Chuck at crdeso321@netscape.net. If you are willing to
help in this effort, I know Chuck could use a few hands.
~Main thoroughfares are a PLUS~

POLL WORKERS
Tuesday, November 7 we need volunteers at the polls throughout Genesee
County reminding voters to VOTE for WEISS. Polls are open 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Contact Patty Rockafellow at prockafe@gfn.org to sign up!

FAMILY FUNDRAISER
Steve Iamarino has graciously opened his farm to Weiss supporters on October
21, 2006. The cost is $50 per family. There will be hayrides, horses and
more. Look for an invite next week!

As you can see there is something for everyone. Please get your friends and
family involved and sign up to RE-ELECT JUDGE WEISS. Thanks for your
continued support!
If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 248.420.4386.
Thanks, Pam

posted here by
Terry Bankert
Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:41 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Can anyone comment on the benefits of Judge Weiss over his challenger, Albert Zerka?

In essence, why is Judge Weiss the better choice over Zerka?

Probate Judges is one of those positions, frankly I think most voters don''t get info on. Oh we get plenty of literature on national & state legislators, even state supreme & federal court positions. Maybe even Circuit Court campaigns. But rarely do I know much about District and Probate court candidates, to the extent that I can discriminate between them for performance. temperment etc. I suspect I am not alone. Usually these candidates are running lower cost campaigns and can't afford the exposure to the electorate like the bigger offices can.

So why should one prefer Weiss over Zerka?

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:15 am 
rapunzel

The Flint Area League of Women Voters is working on a forum for the judgeships. The third branch is very important and little understood by the average voter. We hope to be of service.

peace,
Rap
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:48 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel schreef:
The Flint Area League of Women Voters is working on a forum for the judgeships. The third branch is very important and little understood by the average voter. We hope to be of service.

peace,
Rap

Looking forward to it. I hope it is something whereby each candidate responds to the same specific questions etc perhaps including something on their judicial philosophy and perhaps what they see as the key success factors and challenges of the office they are seeking. What can be improved in delivering the product of the position?
Justice delayed is justice denied.

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:02 pm 
Zerka for judge

As most of us are aware, judges are supposed to be non-partisan. Weiss chooses to disregard this and claim he is a "life long democrat." In addition, he posted an edorsement list; interestingly, he did not ask permission from those individuals/ groups to post their name on his list. Ironically, those same 'Weiss endorsements' have ZERKA signs in their businesses and in their personal front yards. Clearly, it's time for a change.
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:31 pm 
Biggie9

quote:
Zerka for judge schreef:
As most of us are aware, judges are supposed to be non-partisan. Weiss chooses to disregard this and claim he is a "life long democrat." In addition, he posted an edorsement list; interestingly, he did not ask permission from those individuals/ groups to post their name on his list. Ironically, those same 'Weiss endorsements' have ZERKA signs in their businesses and in their personal front yards. Clearly, it's time for a change.

Well.

Frankly, every person has some affiliation or another, even when they run for a non-partisan position, they still have their own personal beliefs and affiliations. Ok, so Weiss should be more private about which party he supports. Its a problem only if his personal affiliation colors his actions and decisions. So far I haven't seen nary a clue that may be an issue.

As far as his endorsement list; it is impressive. IF he has padded it with people/groups who truly do not wish to be on the record as endorsing him, then lets hear about it. They should speak up.

So far as I can see, the only reason for replacing him is that he's, what? very experienced in all kinds of things relating to the judicial system and yes, possibly the political system. hardly the criteria for removing someone.

Wish Zerka or someone would come right out and say what the reasons they are a BETTER choice for the position..seems there is a lot of beating around the bush..
IS Weiss late? does he run his court inefficiently? Does he treat the people before him [attorneys, families, admin etc] badly?
Does he make poor decisions? Is he unfair, does he have biases? what?

Otherwise, I can't see any reason to elect Al Zerka, regardless how nice a person he may, or how good an attorney he may be....

Need some real reason NOT to re-elect the incumbent; record, personal problem etc..its like boxing; when you are the challenger, you have to KNOCK the champ out...no decisions on points.

So?

BTW, does endorsements from attorneys who appear before them [Judges] create ANY concerns for impropriety [ie favoritism?]? Shouldn't they just support their choices with [private] campaign contributions vice public pronouncements when in the future they could gain undue benefits for their support? better, yet keep their donations anonymous.

I think as a candidate I'd not solicit or accept any public support from a person[s] who might practice before me..just to avoid the possibility or appearance of a conflict of interest etc.

YMMV.
Biggie
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:20 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Electing Judges, an important democratic process.

In the Nov. 7th election for Family Court [probate] in Genesee County MI, between Robert Weiss and Albert Zerka, Judge Weiss is the best choice. We want judges that have no favorites and make decisions. Judge Weiss has proven himself as a judge who makes decisions, protects the rights of all people and holds the attorneys toes to the fire. We need stability in the Family Court. We need Judge Weiss.

Judges are important!

“We are under a Constitution, but the constitution is what the judges say it is, and the judiciary is the safe guard of our liberty and our property under the constitution.”
Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes, speech, Elmira N.Y. 1907

Judges protect justice!

“Justice is the tolerable accommodation of the conflicting interests of society, and I don’t believe there is any royal road to attain such accommodation concretely”
Judge Learned Hand, in P. Hamburger, The Great Judge 1946

To be politically active is good citizenship!

“The voice of protest, of warning, of appeal is never more needed than when the clamor of fife and drum, echoed by the press and too often by the pulpit, is bidding all men fall in and keep step and obey in silence the tyrannous world of command. Then, more than ever, it is the duty of the good citizens not to be silent.”
Charles Eliot Norton, True Patriotism, 1898

Attorneys have an obligation to be active politically!

“... all Genesee County attorneys..[should]... stand up for what they believe, regardless of consequences. That is our highest duty and responsibilities as citizen attorneys in a free democratic society.”
Jerome D. Winegarden Jr. 2002

I support Judge Robert Weiss and his candidacy for the Genesee County Family Court November 7 2006.

Terry Bankert
10/31/2006
Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Probate Court
A clear case for re-electing Robert E. Weiss
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
http://www.mlive.com/columns/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1162306426205600.xml&coll=5

Genesee Probate Judge Robert E. Weiss has had a long and respectable record
in public office, including the last four and a half years on the county's
Family Division bench. In this oftentimes emotionally draining duty, he is
viewed as having made good decisions involving children, whose welfare have
been an overriding interest for him his entire professional life.

If Weiss is re-elected to a six-year term Nov. 7, that service would
conclude the 67-year-old's judicial career, as he would face mandatory
retirement. There is no reason he shouldn't be retained in this post, and we
recommend voters select him over his opponent, family law attorney Albert A.
Zerka, 43.

While Zerka is personable and appears energetic, we're not persuaded he
would make a better judge than Weiss, whose 13 years as county prosecutor
adds enormously to his community and legal knowledge. He's seen firsthand
the results of family disintegration and drug use that often lead to the
courts taking children from their biological parents.

Weiss sees himself as a no-nonsense jurist, who demands parents get off
drugs if they want custody of their children. In delinquency cases, he says
forcing children to face consequences might keep their misbehavior from
escalating. To his credit, Weiss also calls for more government help to
solve these profound social ills, specifically speaking out for more
residential mental health facilities for youngsters who desperately need
such care.

Zerka faults the hours Weiss keeps, as well as his rulings and the
incumbent's courtroom demeanor. However, Weiss' work output is in line with
other judges and the incumbent notes that none of his 21,000 cases is more
than a year old. Considering all of this, along with the vast difference in
experience between the two, and Weiss is the obvious choice.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ZERKA8181

I personally know somebody that has a case with Weiss for the past 5 years and 4 months.He does not get everything done in 1 year.I also know another person who has a 1 year 5 month year old case!They are still not yet finished.
I heard a lot of people do not like Weiss and personally don't know Zerka,but they are voting for Zerka because they hate Judge Weiss.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:27 am 
ZERKA8181

I personally know somebody that has a case with Weiss for the past 5 years and 4 months.He does not get everything done in 1 year.I also know another person who has a 1 year 5 month year old case!They are still not yet finished.
I heard a lot of people do not like Weiss and personally don't know Zerka,but they are voting for Zerka because they hate Judge Weiss.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:29 am 
ZERKA8181

quote:

I strongly agree.I saw him say he is a life long democrat.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:30 am 
ZERKA8181

quote:
Well.

Frankly, every person has some affiliation or another, even when they run for a non-partisan position, they still have their own personal beliefs and affiliations. Ok, so Weiss should be more private about which party he supports. Its a problem only if his personal affiliation colors his actions and decisions. So far I haven't seen nary a clue that may be an issue.

As far as his endorsement list; it is impressive. IF he has padded it with people/groups who truly do not wish to be on the record as endorsing him, then lets hear about it. They should speak up.

So far as I can see, the only reason for replacing him is that he's, what? very experienced in all kinds of things relating to the judicial system and yes, possibly the political system. hardly the criteria for removing someone.

Wish Zerka or someone would come right out and say what the reasons they are a BETTER choice for the position..seems there is a lot of beating around the bush..
IS Weiss late? does he run his court inefficiently? Does he treat the people before him [attorneys, families, admin etc] badly?
Does he make poor decisions? Is he unfair, does he have biases? what?

Otherwise, I can't see any reason to elect Al Zerka, regardless how nice a person he may, or how good an attorney he may be....

Need some real reason NOT to re-elect the incumbent; record, personal problem etc..its like boxing; when you are the challenger, you have to KNOCK the champ out...no decisions on points.

So?

BTW, does endorsements from attorneys who appear before them [Judges] create ANY concerns for impropriety [ie favoritism?]? Shouldn't they just support their choices with [private] campaign contributions vice public pronouncements when in the future they could gain undue benefits for their support? better, yet keep their donations anonymous.

I think as a candidate I'd not solicit or accept any public support from a person[s] who might practice before me..just to avoid the possibility or appearance of a conflict of interest etc.

YMMV.
Biggie

It is an issue.I have spoken to victims of Weiss and they are just broken hearted about how Weiss handles things in the court!She thinks it's time for a change,so do I.My friend is getting divorced and Judge Wiess is her judge,and her husbands friend.Weiss favors him and always takes his side.She also isn't gettin enough child support money.For 3 children she gets a total of $24.THERE NEED TO BE A CHANGE ON THE BENCH.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:33 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Judicial candidate forum held from 6-8 p.m. Sunday at the First Presbyterian Church, 746 S. Saginaw St.
This event was sponsored by the Genesee County Bar Association, NAACP and the League of Women Voters.

All the chairs were taken some standing room. The audience was 50% the campaign committees of Judge Weiss and his challenger Al Zerka. Judge Perry was present with the balance of the Crowd being a mix of regular participants and supporters of Judge Marble, Crawford and challenger Ward.

Mayoral candidate Dale Weighill was present. No other elected officials were present with possibly Lee Gonzales being represented by his wife Brenda.

Ms. J. Hall of the league was the moderator.

The 68th District court candidate went first then the Probate Court candidates.

68th District Court

#1 Civility

Judge Herman Marable- The impact of a judge on the civility of litigants and other attorneys is under rated. But the 68th District Court is the peoples court. Many People are unrepresented.

Lynette Ward- Judges must act civil. If the judge does not the litigants will not. The burden falls on the judge.

Judge William Crawford- Judges must start on time and end on time. Judge must explain what is going on. Judges should not allow cross talk.

#2 Widen the access to justice and legal assistance to the unrepresented.

Ward- The public defender program is based upon need. We need more money from the city.

Crawford- Reward the pro bono service of attorneys... put a spot light on attorneys that offer free help.

Marble- Our public defender only shows up once a week. We need more. The public defender should be present every morning.

#3 Organization of the court.

Crawford- We have a major under funding, lack of resources, need more staff to process cases . The 68th District court is top heavy in administration. We need fewer chiefs and more workers.

Marble- Lack of funding led to problems. There are also problems that do not relate to money. The 68th District Court is top heavy in administration. There is a lack of cohesiveness in the court with moral problems. Marable talked about the “ pink elephant in the room” charges concerning competence against him.

Ward- The court has deficient resources. The 68th District Court is not top heavy in administration. [She is a court administrator-TRB]We have working supervisors, and the court needs their experience. We have employees afraid to go into certain courtrooms. Inference was that Marable was not carrying his load.

#4 Over crowding in the jail affecting sentencing.

Marable- Our jail has been obsolete since it was built. Judges are under pressure to give lighter sentences and to release early. He advocates innovative sentencing, making the penalty equal the crime. We need a comprehensive strategy.

Ward- There needs to be a drug court in 68th District court. Drugs and domestic violence need to be treated this way.

Crawford- Driving while intoxicated the second time and domestic violence need to be harshly dealt with. He ensures punishment. Young people have too much time on their hands.

Audience
Q#1 Collecting fines

Ward- We need judges to enforce the court rule to pay fines.

Crawford- Need to run this part of the court like a business and go after collections. When people are poor order community service.

Marble- I advocated a contract with an outside firm and the other judges did not support me. We have the highest poverty rate in the state people cannot pay.

AudienceQ #2 Why vote for you

Crawford- I treat people with respect and lead by example.

Marble- I have been a positive active community leader, fair, people can be heard.

Ward- I stay competent, I have kids, stay positive, encourage others to do better.

Audience Q#3 should community people be able to give a statement like direct victims of a crime for nuisance crime.

Marble- I sentence community service for nuisance crimes.

Ward- She supports victim impact statement did not address nuisance crimes.

Crawford- We have to keep a balance. Sentences are to punish.

AudienceQ #4 Civility

Ward- If you give respect you get respect.

Crawford- You have to be tough when you need to be. I am tough on domestic violence. A judge has to be even and tough minded.

Marble- I do my best. I do not believe in assembly line justice.

Closing

Crawford- Talked of his many endorsement and humility.

Marble- Talked of the campaign promises he made when he first ran that he has lived up to.

Ward. I am fair and competent.

Probate Court Judges/ Family Court.

Q#1 Is DHS too powerful

Challenger Albert Zerka- I have practiced for 16 years, they are much too powerful. The Judges delegate too much too them.

Judge Robert Weiss- We cannot protect children when we have cut the ranks of DHS workers the way we have.

Q#2 Should the parents of truants be jailed.

Weiss- Judge Beagle has created a truancy court, He handles these cases and I think it is a great program.

Zerka- Parents need to be made to get kids to school.

Q#3 Cost of representation

Zerka- Attorneys charge too much. Judges don’t get to work on time. Judges delegate too much to referees.

Weiss- When people are not represented it take a lot of time from the court. We need more pro bono attorneys.

My cases are on time. I have no cases more that a year old. I am proud of my record the job is getting done.

Q#4 Civility

Weiss- We need to change how we treat each other. It’s a sign of our times that people do not have respect for one another.

Zerka- Civility starts with the judge. Go to court any Monday and see what the litigants get away with.

Audience Q#1 What is your strongest attribute

Zerka- I don’t make promises I can’t keep.

Weiss- Integrity , honesty I treat people with respect.
I do not label my self as partisan.

Audience Q#2 FOC setting support outside of the guideline.

Zerka- It’s the judges role to make FOC do it right.

Weiss- FOC must follow the guidelines.

Audience Q#3 Peoples lack of faith in judges.

Weiss- We make tough decisions somebody loses in the adversarial system.

Zerka- There is a lack of faith in judges.

Audience Q#4 Pet attorneys get favored treatment

Zerka- Attorneys should not meet with the judge without their clients.

Weiss- Meeting with the attorneys in chambers settles cases. Our combative family law system is out of date.

Audience Q#4 Flint Youth Crime

Weiss - I help kids every day in Family court.

Zerka - Society must punish then rehabilitate.

Audience Q #5 Court funding

Zerka - I will work with the decision makers.

Weiss- The Supreme Court has just asked me to work on a project to break the cycle of kids in family court, Juvenile. This will save money by inference.

Audience Q# 6 Endorsement

Zerka- Attacked Weiss Democratic Party endorsement.

Weiss- I was appointed by a republican governor and supported by a cross section of the community to include democrats.

Closing

Weiss- I have history, background and am a role model. From city attorney, to staff attorney for the National Democratic Party during Watergate, 13 years as MSU Trustee, to Prosecutor to Judge I have served the community.

I have integrity and have never been prosecuted for a crime anytime.

[This is the 800 pound gorilla that was hanging in the air-TRB]

Zerka- Its time for a change. A judge should be held in high esteem.

I am example of being wrongly accused. Weiss did not charge me when he was prosecutor but Bush did , [for arson-TRB], I was found not guilty.

I was wrongfully accused. The jury found me not guilty.
End

Submitted By Terry Bankert [TRB]
10/30/06
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:56 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: