FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: City Parks Millage

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

The ballot language for the City of Flint Parks, Forestry and Recreation millage RENEWAL, on the November 7, 2006 ballot, is not the same as it appeared on the Ballot of August 6, 1996.
The language at that time read as follows:

Shall Section 7-201(A) of the Charter of the City of Flint be amended to authorize an increase in the total tax rate limitation of .50 mil ($.50 per $1000) on the taxable valuation as finally equalized from January 1, 1997 through December 31, 2006 with ALL REVENUE RECEIVED BEING DEDICATED FOR THE PURPOSE OF MAINTAINING AND IMPROVING CITY PARKS, FORESTRY AND RECREATION SERVICES? It is estimated that .50 mill would raise approximately $781,659 in the first year of the increase. Yes___ No___

“The caps and italized are mine. The difference as I see it is that in 1996 it specified ALL revenue received would be dedicated for maintaining and improving, and the 2006 language reads for the purposes of funding a citywide parks, forestry and recreation program.”

The ballot language on the Official Ballot General Election. November 7, 2006… FLINT CITY CHARTER AMENDMENT CITY WIDE PARKS, FORESTRY, AND RECREATION PROGRAM MILLAGE RENEWAL
Shall section 7-201(A) (2) of the Charter of the City of Flint be amended to authorize renewal of the existing millage 0.05 mill ($0.50 per $1,000.00) on the taxable valuation as finally equalized from January 1, 2007 through December 31,2016 for the purposes of funding a citywide parks, forestry, and recreation program? It is estimated that 0.50 mill would raise approximately $840,418.00 in the first year of the renewal. Yes___No___

Forgiving any possible human typing errors--- this is correct to the best of my knowledge and was not EASY to investigate the original wording.

MY question is to minds more logically inclined than my own ...does this small change in wording change the original intent of the millage? Does this still qualify as a renewal?
RAP
Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:25 am 
rapunzel

Seeing that It has taken TWO years to get garbage cans emptied at the city park next to a public school. 8 broken bones on the playground and an election to get some gosh darn wood chips on a play area. Not to mention numerous other parks in the city with the same if not worse complaints. including GUNS found by children in a play area..... Not to mention constituents of the city will also be paying County parks millage that was OVERWHELMINGLY approved.

I don't believe my tax dollars are being used wisely. Hate to see what the parks look like without these funds?

Your thoughts please????
Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:39 am 
rapunzel

typo- existing millage 0.05 mill should have read existing millage 0.50 mill
Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:45 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

My thoughts would be Bob Cook is a horrible parks director. When I went down to Berston Field house to use the weight room it was like a museum. I've never seen equipment so old. I think some of it may be from when segregation ended and black people were allowed admittance in the 20's or 30's. I wonder if racism has played a factor in our parks management. There only 2 functioning tennis courts that I know of out of about 20. How much does it cost to put up tennis nets???
Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:06 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam I hear ya, but unfortunately I feel this is not a racial issue, but rather economical issue. The fact is, Police, Fire, Garbage, etc. take precedent over parks, pools, tennis courts, roads etc.

Our parks system needs a MASTER PLAN. People in Flint don't know how to use parks, like in other parks of the country. We are use to overgrown parks, with broken equipment.

I think we should focus on a community developed/oriented park plan. Implemented in phases, and paid for over 5 years. A good example of this is the Awesome job Kay Kelly has done in Kearsley Park. That park is still in the "renovation" phase.
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: