FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Real time Flint CIty Council 10/9/06 5:55 pm
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
trb

quote:
TRB schreef:
Council person Sims told the group of a memo from Don Williamson that she should make her referral through Darryl Buchanan not to send separate referrals to her,

the Audiance shouted we need a new council present...
Buchanan defended himself, the crown reacted with approval and shouts for ms Sims that criticized Buchanan

Neely said I agree I agree with Sims, I am getting ready to get on the bandwagon... the crown eruted in cheer,

Neely my mother taught me the difference between right and wrong, my moma taught me the difference,
Neely ripped up the mayors 26 proposals the crown erupted in appaluse...

SIMS moved for a no confidence vote for no confidence in Don Willaimson

moved and supported
poplar yes nelson yes

sims yes
yes neeley
annanich yes
kincaid yes
Darryl Buchanan voted yes

THE CITY COUNCIL JUST VOTED A VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE AGAINST DON WILLIAMSON

I mixed up Neely and Nelson here. It was Nelson who announced to cheers when he said he was about to join the anti mayor band wagon. Neely has been there all along.

Terry Bankert
Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:30 am 
TRB

Even Flint mayor's allies on City Council rebel against moves
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONTuesday, October 10, 2006
By Robert Snellrsnell@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6302

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-39/1160491815180050.xml&coll=5

FLINT - The mayor's police restructuring plan and closing of a neighborhood safe haven helped trigger a City Council rebellion Monday.
About 150 people attended the council meeting, which illustrated the erosion of support among council members perceived to be closely aligned with Mayor Don Williamson - namely 3rd Ward Councilman Kerry Nelson and Council President Darryl Buchanan.
Despite the absence of members Sandy Hill and Ehren Gonzales, the council took several moves, including:
Approved a unanimous no-confidence vote against Williamson.
Ordered its independent attorney to ask a Genesee Circuit judge to force Williamson to appoint a permanent police chief.
Scheduled an Oct. 25 hearing to decide whether to fire Utilities Director Bob Misekow, a Williamson appointee, for lacking certification to run the wastewater treatment plant. Misekow's lack of certification, first reported Sept. 22 in The Flint Journal, could expose the city to a $4-million fine.
Overrode the mayor's veto Friday of a sewer repair program created by the City Council.
"Tonight we're taking a stand," said Nelson, who received support from the mayor in winning office last November. "When you're right, I'll stand with you. When you're wrong, I can't stand with you."
Williamson said the council is overstepping its authority.
"They have nothing to do with running the city," he said. "Thank God."
However, he said he will appoint a permanent police chief if the court orders him to do so.
Misekow said he was shocked by the council's actions. He said he was unaware that his certification had lapsed when he was hired this spring, but he is qualified to run the facility.
The meeting capped a tumultuous few weeks in which the mayor overhauled the police department - a move that prompted a lawsuit from the Flint Police Officers Association. Williamson also has been embroiled in a council investigation into whether city resources were used during his wife's failed state Senate campaign.
Some of the outrage stemmed from his decision last week to close the Haskell Community Center.
Williamson said it was a budget decision, but residents and some council members called it retaliation against Councilwoman Jackie Poplar, whose ward includes the center and who opposed the police plan.
The center offered children a place where they could get after-school snacks and tutoring.
"We need Haskell. Kids in our neighborhood need it," said neighborhood leader David Starr.
Keeping the center open would cost $85,000, which the city doesn't have, mayoral aide Joe Conroy said.
The closing came a week after Williamson announced his police restructuring plan and the union's no-confidence vote on acting Police Chief Gary Hagler.
Williamson has ordered police officers to patrol alone, eliminated police dogs and withdrew officers from area drug-fighting teams.
Nelson held a copy of the mayor's 26-point police plan Monday - and tore it in half.
"It felt good," he said later.
Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:26 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
TRB schreef:
HASKEL SPEAKER
1.WE NEED HASKELL, KIDS WERE LOCKED OUT TODAY.
2.Speaker gave complements to the police in the audience.
3.This city looks like a circus
4.LAwsuits
5.Value of community police officer.Why was the officer cops officer moved to 7 am to 3 pm...these officers help us and are valuable
6.One man cars are they crazy to eliminate...two person cars in Flint
7.Dogs are valuable, peiople respect those dogs, mabey

That was me. As usual, I thought of something else after the meeting. I sent a letter to the Journal - don't know if they'll print it - with this in it. The city is sending a message to the kids in the area thay they'd rather have the kids on the street instead of in a safe enviroment with structured activities.
It was one of the best council meetings I've attended. I got the impression that everything has blown up in Don's face.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Rapunzel

STARR,
Welcome to the forum!
All 7 points right on the money!

Thank You for being an involved citizen.

RAP
Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:56 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: