FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor created new $45,000-a-year city job for Larry Ford

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Former Patsy Lou Williamson campaign spokesman Larry Ford, was hired Aug. 20 as a customer relations official in Flint's water and sewer department. It is a new position that pays $45,000 a year with no benefits.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/115711879977580.xml&coll=5

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

DEFINATELY NOT A PAY OFF POSITION!
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
DEFINATELY NOT A PAY OFF POSITION!

Of course it is a payoff.....but not a big one [Don is sending a message, PLW lost, so no steak position, just a "throw me a bone" payoff].

Kind of underneath Ford's capabilities....

Plus as someone who always focuses on governmental services I am surprised you didn't focus on the fact he is going in there essentially as a customer service rep/troubleshooter, WHICH SHOULDN"T BE REQUIRED.

As far as customer service goes, any clerk in the water dept should be trained AND required to treat customer inquiries civilly and properly. We shouldn't need a $45K ex-CEO type executive to work as a doorman for the department. To hire him OR anyone, is not fixing the fundamental problem, its trying to remediate the lack of quality [correct billings and handling customer complaints] AFTER THE FACT. The "donald" would have been better hiring him to analyze the WHY do we have water complaints....identify the source [maybe its training, firing/redeploying resources, changing the process/system, equipment etc.. who knows]

Second, if there are issues, and people are not getting satisfaction, that is what we just FUNDED the OMBUDSMAN's office for [remember her], she has about a quarter milllion from the mayor and growing to do the same thing.

Third, Larry Ford is one man...how many scores of complaints does he really have time to investigate, communicate with all parties, troubleshoot/negotiate resolutions etc? He doesn't have the capacity. he shouldn't be employed talking to John Doe on his specific problem.

I predict he'll soon find reasons to go to many conferences & seminars in Las Vegas, Malibu and Orlando to attend on topics such as conflict resolution and "How to read a water bill".......

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:25 pm 
Bryan

This is an unecessary position. Complaints should be resolved by well trained customer service reps.
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:38 pm 
arturo

Of course this is a payoff, it's done so often: Federal, State, local, business, the list goes on. I think larry is very well capable of this job, he's been in the business and flint community for a long time and has a fantastic job with talking to people or people skills.
Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:14 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Biggie9

Well Said! I kind of felt it was too obvious to give it a full response. Just a sarcastic statement. but thank you for saying it like it is.
Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

It was interesting at the investigation when Larry siad he had not been given orientation in the week that he had been there. He also took a minute to remember his official job title. Chucky (Hcarles Young) also started out at the water department and now wokrks for the mayor and gets to drive a city vehicle home and to church unlike our police.
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: