FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dozens of Cases Pending in Court Against Flint Sewer System

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/115711879977580.xml&coll=5&thispage=2

We have a huge liability facing the city of Flint with our decaying sewer system.

FLINT - Mayor Don Williamson has created a new, $45,000-a-year city job for the spokesman of his wife's recent failed state Senate campaign.

Larry Ford, who retired May 1 as president of the Flint Area Chamber of Commerce, was hired by the city on Aug. 20 to solve residents' problems with Flint's water and sewer services. He has no clear job title.

The mayor said the hiring was not a political favor.

"That's a ridiculous question," he said. "If you've noticed, we have a lot of problems with the sewers and people having complaints, and I thought it would be very nice to get to the bottom of the problem."

Critics attacked the hiring, which came 12 days after Patsy Lou Williamson finished second to John J. Gleason in the 27th District Democratic primary race.

"Let me say it: The mayor's taking care of his friend. That's all it is," said 9th Ward Councilman Scott Kincaid. "That's a nice campaign payback."

Ford, 69, said he was unsure how long he would stay in the post, calling it "kind of like a temporary position."

"People can think whatever they want. I can't control that," said Ford, a prominent community leader who led the chamber for 30 years. "I'm just surprised anybody is paying any attention to me. I was important when I was president. Now I'm 'Larry Who?'"

Ford has been looking for a job. He recently said he had approached Flint Township officials about getting a full-time job or becoming a consultant.

Ford's new city position consolidates work covered by different people, Williamson said.

The mayor said it's an attempt to improve customer service, one of his goals after being elected in November 2003.

"I think the qualifications for that job is how to be nice to people when they're having serious problems," Williamson said. "He's a gentleman, and he can represent the city."

Ford will try to resolve such problems as incorrect water bills, a responsibility traditionally handled by the city ombudsman.

He said his goal isn't to attribute blame.

"I'm about finding some middle ground," he said.

He should be busy.

The city's aging sewer system has been blamed for numerous backups that have damaged residents' homes. More than 200 people have sued the city in recent years, and separate juries this summer have awarded more than $2.5 million to 34 residents who sustained flood damage six years ago.

Dozens of cases are pending in Genesee County Circuit Court.

The job is the latest reincarnation for Ford, who also serves on the Flint Township Planning Commission.

"He's a problem-solver," said 8th Ward Councilman Ehren Gonzales. "He'll probably do a hell of a job."

Ford was criticized in 2003 for questionable travel expenses as a member of the Genesee County Intermediate School District Board.

He took 23 trips in five years, charging taxpayers almost $30,000 for such expenses as dinners at lavish restaurants, laundry service, mini-bar snacks, room service and tips.

Flint resident Alex Harris, a frequent mayoral critic, said he was disgusted by the hire.

"He's not providing a service for the city," Harris said. "It's a drain on taxpayers' pocketbooks."
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:36 pm 
Wood Ether

I had chronic problems with sewers 10 years ago on Mabel and B-Way. Nothing since I woved to the westside. The city told me it was my problem something about my line to the street being clogged.They never came out to check, just told me it was my problem. Much of the city's infrastructure needs to be rebuilt: roads, schools, sewers, etc. Cities (not just Flint) need federal dollars... don't hold your breath. Now I'll predict many posters will say the dems ruined Flint and we can't afford another handout. Just remember, GB, townships, Clio, SC, etc. are sitting pretty from suckling at the teat of Flint for years.
Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:19 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"Now I'll predict many posters will say the dems ruined Flint and we can't afford another handout. Just remember, GB, townships, Clio, SC, etc. are sitting pretty from suckling at the teat of Flint for years"

Huh?

You must be mistaking this place for the MLive Flint Forum.

Didn't know Flint had teats. Where are they? I'd like to see them.

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:05 am 
Wood Ether

The teats are located at Buick City, Chevy in the Hole, Truck and Bus, AC/Delphi etc. All of the places that allowed suburban sprawl in Genesee County to occur, while in turn resulting in a loss of property tax revenue and rampant pollution IN the city. People can live wherever they want, but they should also recognize that their suburb wouldn't exist without Flint.
Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:08 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Wood Ether schreef:
The teats are located at Buick City, Chevy in the Hole, Truck and Bus, AC/Delphi etc. All of the places that allowed suburban sprawl in Genesee County to occur, while in turn resulting in a loss of property tax revenue and rampant pollution IN the city. People can live wherever they want, but they should also recognize that their suburb wouldn't exist without Flint.

Dang, I've been to most of those facilities...never saw any teats; unattached to others anyway. I'm calling HR to find out where they've been hiding the teats. I've got over 32 years in and missed that benefit somehow!

Yep, the suburbs developed BECAUSE of Flint. Flint's decline, like Detroit's, is the reason for the exponential growth of the suburbs. Eventually the city crosses a crucial threshold of loss of tax base etc...and goes into critical mode where the loss of population accelerates even more, with an attendant decline in revenues and thus city services, infrastructure etc. people have a right to live where they find the things they want, like safety, services, good schools, shopping etc.....hard to find those things in Flint these days.

It doesn't have to be permanent however. Decades ago, cities like Royal Oak and Ferndate were ghost towns...now they are vibrant destination places for metro-Detroiters. They've remade themselves. So can Flint, with the right mix of leadership, vision and execution.

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:44 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flint not giving up in sewer lawsuits

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
By Robert Snell
rsnell@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6302

FLINT - Despite four jury verdicts awarding homeowners $2.5 million, the city will continue fighting dozens of homeowners who have suffered sewer backup damage.

The legal stance comes despite the possibility the city could be ordered to pay millions more to about 160 homeowners who have trials scheduled through March related to flood and sewer backup damage in 2000

Assistant City Attorney Angela Watkins said the city
will follow its policy of appealing any damages awarded by juries hearing the flood and sewer backup cases in Genesee Circuit Court.

Dean Yeotis, an attorney representing 208 plaintiffs, made an offer to settle some of the remaining cases but said he was rebuffed. The case has been divided into several groups of about a dozen plaintiffs.

One group of 17 people was awarded $325,000 on Wednesday, a month after two separate juries awarded 26 people more than $866,000.

"I'm trying to settle," Yeotis said. "The city continues to ignore me."

City Attorney Trachelle Young could not be reached for comment late last week by The Flint Journal.

Two more jury trials are scheduled between Sept. 12-15.

The civil lawsuits were filed after the city refused to settle and officials rejected case evaluations in May that would have paid residents less than most of the jury verdicts, Yeotis said.

The city already has lost the cases, and the only remaining question is how much, if anything, the residents will be paid in damages, Yeotis said.

He said the real dollar totals could climb once attorney fees and sanctions are included.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/115746780230330.xml&coll=5

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: