FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kate Fields saves Flint $2.9 million

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

In response to kate Fields speeches at the city council yesterday:

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1156951216155090.xml&coll=5

Mayor: City won't lose federal housing money
FLINT- Despite a housing official's fears, the city will not lose more than $600,000 in federal money earmarked for helping low-income people repair their homes, Mayor Don Williamson said.

The city Tuesday agreed

to spend $793,675 on three contracts, which should

satisfy a Thursday deadline set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The announcement did not provide any information about the contracts.

The announcement came a day after Kate Fields, executive director of the Greater Eastside Community Association, warned the City Council that the city risked losing the money if it went unspent by Thursday.

In October, the city had to give back $1.4 million in federal money because it missed a deadline to spend the money.

Fields feared the city would miss Thursday's deadline and a Sept. 30 deadline to spend more than $2.9 million.

Williamson said he believes the city will meet that deadline.

"We fully expect that

all of our HUD funds, now and in the future, will be

utilized efficiently and effectively to provide quality services to our residents," he said.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:45 pm 
young demm

U can't hoenstly say Kate Fields saved us 2.9 million.... Honestly, no biased opinion,ubt come on.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:33 pm 
young demm

City plans to meet its CDBG requirements
By June Urdy
The city receives HOME Investment Partnership (HOME) grant funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development each year. These funds have annual commitment and expenditure requirements. The commitment requirement means that contracts must be in place by HUD’s measurement date of Aug. 30 each year. Today, the city is committing three contracts totaling $793,675.51.

Mayor Donald Williamson said “We have been working with HUD staff over the past year to make sure the city meets its federal funding obligations. Today’s commitment amount well exceeds HUD’s requirement for executing HOME contracts in accordance with all HUD regulations.”

HUD also measures the city’s expenditure of HOME funds on Sept. 30 each year. Over the course of the past several months, the city has worked with HUD to improve the contract process to enable the city to administer and expend these funds in a timely manner.

According to Councilman Darryl Buchanan, “These changes in our contract processing will allow us to meet our expenditure goals. We firmly believe that the city has expenditures in the pipeline that will enable us to meet HUD grant disbursements by the deadline date of Sept. 30. The Flint City Council has been working, and will continue to work cooperatively with the Department of Community and Economic Development to ensure that the city continues to meet its funding requirements.”

Williamson further said that “We have a good working partnership with HUD in Detroit and Washington, DC. Under their guidance, we fully expect that all of our HUD funds, now, and in the future, will be utilized efficiently and effectively to provide quality services to our residents.”

The city held a press conference May 19 to report to the community on the status of meeting its community development block grant expenditure requirements. After Sept. 30 the city will hold another press conference to inform the community of the status of meeting its HOME grant obligations.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

NOW I could be wrong, because this isn't my specialty. But, it seems to me the money had to be spent by the 30th of Aug Not just a commitment to spend the money. Also, all the requirements have to be met before the money can even be spent or committed. Meaning the Environmental studies, signed contracts, etc has to be in place...and then the money spent. Hmmm If the Mayor gets this through, ATTABOY! However, when questioned in committee. The Grants Department didn't have any answers. Least wise up to date and acceptable ones.

Also. doesn't seem that the administration is cutting it awful close to the deadline in order to meet the requirements.

This kind of reminds me of the Grass Cutting incident not too long ago. The Mayor ran his campaign on being on top of getting city services accomplished. One of his campaign Messages (incidentally) was from out in a over grown lot. Then when confronted with with his FAILURE TO PLAN. He blew it off because it was raining! That one just sent me rolling on the floor with laughter. Was it raining in his office? Maybe it was raining in the Hallway? Did his office get moved outside?? Maybe he strictly used the elevator and it was raining in the elevator so he didn't send the proposal up to council because it was raining in the elevator?

understanding his track record... Loss of 1.4 million in HUD dollars, 140,000 for violating Citizens Constitutional rights, approx, 140,000 in paid to Sgts in the police force for violating the Contract with the union, Using City employees to paint a park for his wife’s campaign... etc. It doesn't surprise me that it takes someone hearing about the problem through the grape vine then checking the facts for themselves then presenting it to Council so we don't get screwed by the Administration again.

If he fixes even in a last ditch effort. GREAT! but if he's blowing smoke again. We shouldn't keep letting this stuff go on without accountability! Anyone besides myself remmember someone running under the premise that he was going to bring accountability to City Government.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

NEWS RELEASE

To: All Media

2804 N. Franklin Avenue
Flint, MI 48506

Contact Kate Fields
Person: (810) 233-0507 Telephone
(810) 233-7322 Fax

Event: “Hands On” Celebration of Community Mural

Event date: Wednesday, September 6th, Noon

For Immediate Release

The public is invited by Greater Eastside Community Association to attend a “Hands On” celebration of the completion of a new community mural. The mural is completed but the finishing touch is going to be the imprinting and signing of hand prints by Eastside residents, project partners and other attending celebrants.

The mural artist, Amanda Simons, received input for the design from a focus group held during an Eastside Business Association meeting. The resulting theme is “Community Through Unity.” Additional information about the artist and examples of her work can be viewed on her web site at www.thisartlife.com

Funding for this project was a joint effort involving Keep Genesee County Beautiful (via a Ruth Mott Foundation grant), the Eastside Business Association, the Chinonis family (owners’ of the building and YaYa’s Chicken), and the Greater Eastside Community Association with assistance from a Home Depot beautification grant.

The celebration will be held at the corner of Franklin and Davison Roads on Wednesday, September 6th at noon. For more information contact Kate Fields at (810) 233-0507.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 pm 
young dem

Well Ted I really disagree with you on many issues , but 2marrow, we shall see, who is using city employees illegally or whatever kate fields and her group is accusing of. when the light and truth come out I want yo to comment immediately after the hearing.
Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

This has got to be Joe Conroy. Just keep trying to spin it. I'm betting no one “gives up” the Don. And they don't ever figure out who actually painted the Park Red White and Blue, Blue and Gold, Green and White.

Ms. Kinney lobbied for it. But it magically happened. City workers didn't do it??? Who did? If they didn't paint the park, then someone vandalized it.

Now, Mr. young dem, The reason you don't agree with me. Is you tend to use baseless ideas and claim them as truth. Your Imaginary analogy of Crime verses officers. I find it funny that the Williamson administration has to go back TEN YEARS in order to a crime decrease (claim they are responsible) But it was the YEARS before the Don took over that Flint lost those Officers you are talking about. Crime was still going down with that loss from WELL PRIOR to this administration! As soon a the Mayor took over. Crime started going up. because he was and currently still is. Using police for his own personal whims. Having officers respond in an attempt to intimidate people collecting signatures for his recall, THREE COPE CARS, Sending officers out to the Rock to stop people from painting it "Don't vote for Patsy Lou" TWELVE Officers at a housing commission Meeting, Using Police to detain a Journal Carrier, Or even, using a police officer to transport documents to Lansing everyday. Instead of using a more economical currier service.
Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
young demm

Anyone who supports the Mayor/administration dosn't have to be paid by him or he's prolly going 2 say an idiot. I honestly believe they will find him/ the administration idiot and in the process prove Kate fields/ alex harris wrong. And you keep saying city workers didnt paint it as being sarcastic, they did.Its the matter of for what reason, who ordered it or something in that nature.
Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:06 am 
Ted J

Exactly!
quote:
And you keep saying city workers didnt paint it as being sarcastic, they did.Its the matter of for what reason, who ordered it or something in that nature.

Who Could have ordered it?

Did Employees just go off on thier own and paint it the way they wanted?
Isn't there a plan?
Doesn't safety items have to be painted one color apposed to another?
If Employees didn't do anything wrong? Who gave the order?
If my boss tells to me paint the park, I'm going to paint it the color it has been painted before. I'm not going to go out and look for new colors?
THen there is the simple logical response. RED, WHITE and BLUE. Never painted at the other parks. Why just days before Patsy Lou's Picnic? How did Blue and GOld and Green and White come into play?
Who reqresitioned the Paint? That has to be done before the painting even begins?
You don't just show up and go..."Hey let's paint it Maze and Blue Green and White And Red White and Blue.
It had to be planned that way. Do you think they showed up to paint the park with all those colors in the truck without planning it that way?

Since the parks have been painted DEEP Green and Brown with Safety Yellow. It sure seems strange none of those colors were even used. Since that would be what would have been purchased for that project.

You keep missing the whole point. Someone "IN CHARGE" had to tell them to paint it the way they did. They didn't do it on their own.
Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:05 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I may have went for the shock value but it does seem interesting that the day after this the city spent/committed the money. Kate Fields teaches a graduate level course on stuff like this. I'm definately no expert. For all I know Kate did save us the money by getting the city to spend it. Isn't this what happened last time around. Kate said it was and that she went to the council and they didn't get it fixed. This time it appears to have gotten fixed.

Page 31 has the totals Kate was referring to:
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/affordablehousing/reports/deadline/04-01fo073106.pdf
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:08 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"Kate Fields teaches a graduate level course on stuff like this. I'm definately no expert. For all I know Kate did save us the money by getting the city to spend it. Isn't this what happened last time around. Kate said it was and that she went to the council and they didn't get it fixed. This time it appears to have gotten fixed."

Adam, maybe that is part of the problem. The process and red tape is so byzantine, that one may need an advanced degree just to understand & act in accordance with it. I doubt very many in the city grants department have post-grad degrees.

Of course that is also the sign of an overly complicated process; the sure by-product of bloated, big-government.

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:34 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: