FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Summary of My ideas on helping to fight crime.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski

Technically they can but this council so far has refused. They just approve everything Don asks for no questions asked. And if they do ask a question they settle for Don's answer and His reasoning. (never mind what the facts are or where they lead) They have no authority over the Police dept. Nor can they tell a garbage man to do his job. Before they can talk to anyone they must have the mayors approval. They do seem to have a way to get things done though. Like when someone is evicted on the eastside, and the trash piles up for weeks. You can call the city dept in charge and get no results. You can call the Mayors office also and not get any results. But, if you call your councilman who technically cannot do anything about it. It does seem to get done. And it doesn't matter which council man you have they all seem to be able to get stuff like that done.
It seems to me the process for the city budget was the Mayor submits it to the council it's open for discussion, they make a few changes and send it back to the mayor who says yeah or nay it is amended and then back to council for approval. Before the city council could line items out. Now they can't. It's Don's way or the highway.
As far as public pressure, It obviously doesn't work. The prior council approved funds for 8 officers and they still haven't been hired and that was at least 6 months ago. People in Flint just focused on the bickering between the Mayor and the council. Instead of focusing on the fact that Don never once moved to hire the officers that had been approved.
Now I like your thinking about just making a phone call and it gets done. That should be how it works. but it doesn't. The Violence meetings that Rep. Clack is holding I doubt will bear any fruit. I doubt this other task force appointed by the council and Mayor will have any effect. We need a Chief!! A Chief that is a LEADER. Someone to come in Kick Ass, take names Instill discipline and then the Morale will come back and a sense of duty. As long as there isn't discipline and there are some bad cops still left on the force. Nothing is going to change. We need those few good cops to turn in the criminal cops. It would be confusion for a short time. But it would change the whole attitude at the dept. We really need someone from outside who has already changed a dept like ours and made it successful.
Now to continue to pressure the council about the police isn’t going to do any good. That needs to be done with the Mayor. Good Luck. Don sure talked the talk when he wanted to get elected. But I walk the talk. What happened to accountability he ran on? It’s just like the petting Zoo, the racetrack. If you try to get answers about his Campaign promises he blames everyone else. That’s why maybe we did need a new council. These guys have thrown out reasoning and just rubber stamp everything Don sends down the line. I’m wondering who he will blame next year? Probably Me! LOL It will be because of people like me who are so NEGATIVE that we cannot see the greater good that he is doing. Maybe he plans to just burn down the city like he did with his plant in Owosso. If you don’t watch it you’ll end up with a pile of manure in your front yard. LOL On a more serious note. The problem with dealing with government is knowing the right person to talk to get things done. Usually, after you’ve followed the ‘Chain of command” and you get to the guy at top. Things start to happen. Usually before it ever gets that high. Unfortunately, In Flint it doesn’t matter what level you get to. When it comes to crime, nothing will get done. The Mayor isn’t concerned or he wouldn’t be dragging his feet hiring more officers once he had approval. The Chief or acting chief isn’t. He wouldn’t take the job for fear of being replaced and loosing his pension or retirement. He must not be very confident in his own ability if he is worried he won’t be able to retire as the chief.
Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:41 pm 
rapunzel

What is the difference between a deputy police chief and a police chief?
Answer...$10,000
Post Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:22 pm 
Ted Jankowski

Well Let's get back to the subject.

quote:

Where have all the hot goods gone .The role of pawn shops.
The markets for stolen goods pawn shop act as incentive the burglary.
See:
http://jrc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/41/2/156.pdf

[ Found by a google scholar search key words: policed pawn shops]

Summary: Terry Bankert 12/28/05

1. The pawning of stolen property is a significant issue.
A. Pawn brokers are omnipresent offering thieves an easy way to dispose of stolen goods, especially goods with no markings.
B. Many people who pawn have significant arrest records.
C. There are many criminals that rely on pawn shops as outlet for stolen goods.
D. If a small percentage of the goods pawned were stolen this number would be a huge percentage of stolen property reported.
2. It is difficult to intentionally disrupt the market for stolen goods.
A. Enforcement of pawn shop regulations is too perfunctory to interfere with reciepts and disposal of stolen goods.
B. W here the enforcement is effective it displaces the theives to a different stolen comondity.[i.e] Precious metals, antiques, [ aluminum siding], flea markets
C. Most stolen goods are not identifable as such.Most households do mot mark goods or record serial numbers.
D. The cost of recording each stolen item is too great for local government.
E. We must lower the cost of marking, recording serial numbers and
F. We cannot know what is stolen and what is not without greater police resources.
[cost of police tracking stolen item lists against pawn shop records.]
3. The most effective thing we can do is monitor pawn shop records.
A. Monitor suspicious pawners and goods
B. strengthen our pawn details
C. speedier transfer of pawn shop records to police computers.
D. Most police units that monitor pawn shops are underfunded and under staffed.
E. Decision makers do not recognize the value of monitoring pawn shops and the pawn shops do not cooperate.
F. Police units are usually behind on data collection.
G. We will have immediate benefits if monitoring activities were increased.
H. The pawn brokers actively obstruct police monitoring.

ACTION
Question the staffing and policy of the department that monitors pawn shops. Question the budget priorities arguing for greater funding of these police units. Advocate policy that would allow Flint Citizen volunteers to assist the police in date collection. Advocate for public reporting and police accountability.

Note. For general use in developing a data base for others to advocate public policies this outline format is a start. We should cite the primary source, I suggest we work off of internet documents when possible. We should explain how we found the source, ie google search words.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:36 am 
Ted Jankowski

Just wanted ot add another thought on this idea of additional state or Federal funds for fighting crime. I personally don't care if they give the money directly to the FLint police dept or not. They could give the County Sheriff more funds to support the Flint Police, or the State the money to have the State polic Support the City. But we truly do need more officer and more effective crime fighters on the street here in Flint.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:38 pm 

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Well Let's get back to the subject.

quote:

See:

A. Pawn brokers are omnipresent offering thieves an easy way to dispose of stolen goods, especially goods with no markings.
D. If a small percentage of the goods pawned were stolen this number would be a huge percentage of stolen property reported.
A. Enforcement of pawn shop regulations is too perfunctory to interfere with reciepts and disposal of stolen goods.
B. W here the enforcement is effective it displaces the theives to a different stolen comondity.[i.e] Precious metals, antiques, [ aluminum siding], flea markets
C. Most stolen goods are not identifable as such.Most households do mot mark goods or record serial numbers.
F. We cannot know what is stolen and what is not without greater police resources.
E. Decision makers do not recognize the value of monitoring pawn shops and the pawn shops do not cooperate.

ACTION
Question the staffing and policy of the department that monitors pawn shops. Question the budget priorities arguing for greater funding of these police units. Advocate policy that would allow Flint Citizen volunteers to assist the police in date collection. Advocate for public reporting and police accountability.

Note. For general use in developing a data base for others to advocate public policies this outline format is a start. We should cite the primary source, I suggest we work off of internet documents when possible. We should explain how we found the source, ie google search words.

There is already a great pawnshop reporting system in use in both Lansing & Mount Pleasant. Numerous communities accross Michigan are rewriting their local ordinances to compel pawnshops to report their transactions electronically. www.bwiusa.com Very Happy
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:33 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Attempt to summarize everything we’ve come up with so far. Let me know if I’ve missed something. I thought there were a few more ideas, but I couldn’t find them.

1. Civilian Volunteers:
***A. Review of reports:
******i. Review Home Invasion or break ins.
******ii. Check items stolen against pawn ship reports.
******iii. Look for patterns.
*********a. Type of items stolen
*********b. Times of break ins
*********q. Address/ map the area
***B. Reports to Police Chief:
******i. Follow-ups
******ii. Officer action
******iii. Reports progress
***C. Liaison to community:
******i. Can under direction of Officer Keep victim informed of progress.
******ii. Report to Council or a board
******iii. Make suggestions
***D. Liaison to Ombudsman
2. Community group with experts from major cities that have lowered their own crime rates.
***A. If it worked for New York. It can work here.
3. Petition Federal and State agencies for Funding for Police officers and jails.
4. COMPSTAT: Updated computer management program for better tracking:
***A. “..police action can effect crime and public safety.”
5. Pawnshops
***A. The pawning of stolen property is a significant issue.
******i. Pawn brokers are omnipresent offering thieves an easy way to dispose of stolen goods, especially goods with no markings.
******ii. Many people who pawn have significant arrest records.
******iii. There are many criminals that rely on pawn shops as outlet for stolen goods.
******iv. If a small percentage of the goods pawned were stolen this number would be a huge percentage of stolen property reported.
***B. It is difficult to intentionally disrupt the market for stolen goods.
******i. Enforcement of pawn shop regulations is too perfunctory to interfere with receipts and disposal of stolen goods.
******ii. W here the enforcement is effective it displaces the thieves to a different stolen commodity. [i.e] Precious metals, antiques, [ aluminum siding], flea markets
******iii. Most stolen goods are not identifiable as such. Most households do mot mark goods or record serial numbers.
******iv. The cost of recording each stolen item is too great for local government.
******v. We must lower the cost of marking, recording serial numbers and
******vi. We cannot know what is stolen and what is not without greater police resources.
***A. The most effective thing we can do is monitor pawn shop records.
******i. Monitor suspicious pawners and goods
******ii. strengthen our pawn details
******iii. speedier transfer of pawn shop records to police computers.
******iv. Most police units that monitor pawn shops are under funded and under staffed.
******v. Decision makers do not recognize the value of monitoring pawn shops and the pawn shops do not cooperate.
******vi. Police units are usually behind on data collection.
******vii. We will have immediate benefits if monitoring activities were increased.
******viii. The pawn brokers actively obstruct police monitoring.

ACTION
Question the staffing and policy of the department that monitors pawnshops. Question the budget priorities arguing for greater funding of these police units. Advocate policy that would allow Flint Citizen volunteers to assist the police in date collection. Advocate for public reporting and police accountability.

Attempt to solve all crimes, not just the ones the Flint Police feel are worth solving. Murder vs Car theft, Drugs vs Home break-ins. Treat them all as priority. If we need more detectives HIRE THEM!!

There is already a great pawnshop reporting system in use in both Lansing & Mount Pleasant. Numerous communities across Michigan are rewriting their local ordinances to compel pawnshops to report their transactions electronically. www.bwiusa.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ref: Where have all the hot goods gone .The role of pawn shops.
See:
Summary: Ted Jankowski 01/17/06

Note: When I went to that link before I was able to read it. I didn’t save it and wanted to copy some of the data. How do I get back into it. I tried the link and it didn’t let me view the whole thing this time. I don’t have 500.00 plus to join. LOL

Please add some more.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

So many threads????
I replied under gun violence thread pertaining to this agenda. Finance committee January 18, 5pm City Council. This meeting has a long agenda should possibly run until 8 pm. [rap]
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:59 am 
rapunzel

PS. Jerr Bear.. darn good work. Organizing info...found your niche...
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:47 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I wanted to bring this one back up. Becuase there seems to be a lack of imagination downtown. So I thought this might help. Plus I had another new idea.

My new idea. We might try also. A departmental officer exchange program. Say sending a few officers from Flint to Amherst NY and have a few of thier officers coem work here? Not just amherst, but other departments with much lower crime rates to see how they do it. Just anohter idea.

quote:
See:

ACTION

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

March 15, 7pm at brown funeral home. The councils task force on Crime will listen to community input. Ted please bring summary and proposed action items. We have ordinances on the books that are not being enforced or perhaps the state law superceeds? ie aluminum siding-permits for removal or logs that junk yards are supposed to be keeping.

Bring your ideas!!!!
RAP

Quote...
Attempt to solve all crimes, not just the ones the Flint Police feel are worth solving. Murder vs Car theft, Drugs vs Home break-ins. Treat them all as priority. If we need more detectives HIRE THEM!!

There is already a great pawnshop reporting system in use in both Lansing & Mount Pleasant. Numerous communities across Michigan are rewriting their local ordinances to compel pawnshops to report their transactions electronically. www.bwiusa.com
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:03 pm 

Bringing back to the front
Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:04 am 

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:05 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
guest schreef:

ok, we got you the first time.

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:24 am 
rapunzel

was watching Hurricaine Katrina after math...Looting, citizens dieing. What did the officer say...No place to take the criminals. Just moving them along, push them away from an area. They will reappear in another area.

Sound familiar?

Flint has had a slow encroaching hurricaine. We have similiar trash on the curbs and no place to take criminals.

Not the widespread extent as the gulf, nor every street but most.

Call the national guard, the criminals have bigger guns. No room on the court docket and no room in the jail.

No accountability.
Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:47 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: