FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: College tuition and the middle class...

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
flintteach9

MEAP money running dry ! Tuition hikes every year (some in double digits). Less money through state and local grants.

What is becoming of our HIGHER education in this state?

My son is attending MSU this year and my wife and I have to take out mega loans. He received 550.00 dollars for 'aid'. The rest we have to incur out of our pockets !

Even with the scholarships he received. We checked with the UNCF, but he has to attend a 'black' school. What the hell is that? My son is black, isn't that the #1 prereq? I checked with the Urban League, LOL. What a joke !

Now, if we were on welfare... he could go to any university in this state FREE ! If we were poor, his tuition would be paid and he would satisfy the requirements for grants.

This proves there is no reason why young people of Flint don't attend college !
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 am 
Adam

Exactly expeically when there are so many jobs in other states you can get.
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm 
ellwoodflint

Soon there will not be a working class at all. My daughter is in the 9th grade this year. a straight A student. My husband is an engineer(until they send his job to India with the rest of them) We are a middle class white family. What options do you think we will have? I'm worried sick what it will be like to get her through college when the time comes.
Do you realize that Flint has no educational lobbiest in Lansing? I wonder how many other districts do.
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:13 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: