FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The problems with Flint... and Michigan !

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic

My family and I have been in Colorado the past week or so and the differences between Denver and Flint are astounding !

My wife is from Douglas county (and her mother and step-father still reside there). A county that calls Denver home (even though there is a Denver county). But the counties are small and irregular shaped out here.

I've talked to some people here and have done my homework ( I know it's summer, but learning and asking questions should be done year-round).

I've compared both Flint/Denver and Genesee/Douglas county along with Michigan/Colorado.

Douglas county stats:
175,000 people
Average housing per month $1250.00
Average income per person $83,000
Ranked #1 in the COUNTRY for new residents (191% increased since 1999)
37% of people in Douglas county have a Bachelor degree
Average age of persons living in Douglas 35 years old

Genesee county stats:
440,000 people
Average housing per month $850.00
Average income per person $41,000
Had an increase of 1.4% in popluation since 1999
10.5% of people in Genesee county have a Bachelor degree
Average age of persons living in Genesee county 35.5 years old

Denver stats:
550,000 people call Denver home
Average age 35 years old
23% Bachelors degree
$1,150 average mortgage
$39,500 average income
Violent crimes 3531
Murders 63
6.2 violent crimes per 1000 people

Flint stats:
122,000 people call Flint home
Average age 35 years old
7.2% Bachelors degree
$640 average mortgage Ranked #1 in COUNTRY for lowest morgatage
$28,000 average income
Violent crimes 1,484
Murders 28
12.2 violent crimes per 1000 people

Now remember; Denver has 5 times the number of residents as Flint.

Colorado stats:
4.3 million people (24th nationally)
9th in income in the nation ($37,000 per capita)
$1,197 monthly mortgage
22% Bachelors degree
25% in college
$5,917 per pupil spending

Michigan stats:
10 million (8th nationally)
24th in income in the nation ($32,00 per capita)
$972 monthly mortgage
13.7% Bachelors degree
22% in college
$6,875 per pupil spending

The thing that really blew me away was that Michigan has 26 Fortune 500 companies compared to Colorado's 6 !

Even though it cost more to live in Colorado and the per capita is higher in Colorado. Michigan and Colorado are basically the same in every category.

Colorado is growing leaps and bounds and the population has increased rapidly since 1990 where as Michigan has declined in population.

I think these stats are EXACTLY what Devos has said. Our young people are leaving in hugh numbers along with their college degrees.

The biggest disparity between Michigan and Colorado is that Michigan is the waterway of the US, where as Colorado is land-locked with NO water. You can barely grow grass out here.

My question? How can these people here in Colorado have such higher living standards with less opportunity?
Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:35 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Only one mistake. Flint only has 118,000 now. Not 122,000. his is the newest survey. I'd have to go back and look it up. But these are the 2005 numbers. I know it doesn't help. But I thought I'd point it out.
Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

So what is your take on this Ted?

If you were a young person with no links to Flint or Michigan. Would you stay here in Flint or even Michigan for that matter?

Flintteach Cool

By-the-way... this place is GORGEOUS !
Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:43 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Teach, on this issue your saying the same things I've been saying to people. Flint complains about all the Young people leaving. The ones who went to college and earned a degree. The Flint journal had a full page of stories about "Black Flight" this was about all the young black people that were leaving Flint to work in Atlanta Ga.

Flint doesn't seem to want them to stay. Flint has fought to keep businesses out of Flint that create jobs and opportunities.

I was saying in the mid-eighties that Flint should move toward being a college town. Flint had some resolution a few years back that they were going to move that direction. (towards a college town) What has been accomplished since. Nothing! Nothing accomplished.

Downtown Flint for years didn't have cable internet. Does it now? I don't know. But, downtown should have been the first. Flint for years and even today. Refuses to act on it's own. They've relied on GM and the Mott Foundation to everything for them. Look at all the schools that the UAW built new play grounds for.

If I didn't have family ties to Flint. I'd probably leave also. Flint Police have told me twice that I remember. Why do I live here? if the crime is so high I can't stand it. Why don't I move? Yep. Flint wants honest and hard working tax payers to help it develop. Flint makes excuses for bad behavior (criminals) Poverty, or unemployment or lack of opportunities. Yet they discourage people who could help come wanting to stay.

It's an attitude that has got to change. And I don't see it changing any time soon. It starts at the top. It starts with the Leadership. I voted for the Don because I believed what he was saying. Boy was I wrong. I'm starting to think that many voted for him hoping he was going to give them a hand out.

Just a few weeks ago a man got up in City Council meeting and was talking about how the Don will show up at senior Centers put peoples names in a hat and raffle out the change in his pocket. I was sick. People in this town are too quick to accept a hand out. Too many lack the dignity or understanding to even comprehend the problems. All's they see is someone is giving them something for nothing. I doubt I'd see you accepting money from the mayor as a hand out. I sure wouldn't.

So when people like you or I come around and start talking about, and living off what we have made for ourselves. We are demonized. Plain and simple. We are negative when we point out the problems. Because, Flint doesn’t want to solve the problem. They just want someone to do it for them. Those with Education and training leave for opportunities that they have made for themselves. They created their own opportunities because they WORKED for their education. Since they didn’t fit in with the “hand it to me” attitude
Flint ran them out.

Now these are only opinions. But they are based on what I’ve seen over the years of living here in Flint.
Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Ted ! I totally agree with what you said !

Flint is a welfare city, and Michigan is a welfare state !

I see it in school everyday. These kids have the mindset of " I want something for nothing". They expect to be given hand-outs !

I preached to my freshmen about this very thing. I have told them... " Why do you want to perpetuate the myth of young black kids or poor white kids?" Why do you want those outside of Flint to think you are stupid, lazy, and criminals in the making? My freshmen were doing applied conceptual physics !

Most of my seniors couldn't WAIT to go to college and get outta Flint. Most of them are going down south and some of them are going to Wayne State with the intentions of obtaining a degree and moving down south. Very few were going to U of M-Flint or Mott. The theme was " I wanna outta Flint !"

This trend will continue as long as the apathy and bleak outlook remains in this city and STATE !

And those who are left behind (young people) will be those who continue to sell drugs, procreate, and live off the system (and accept free hand outs from whomever will give them out !).

I've traveled a lot and there are problems everywhere.. but not to the magnitude of Flint and Michigan.

The biggest problem out here seems to be the lack of water and the threat of wildfires and whether the Broncos will make the playoffs.

Flintteach Cool
Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:24 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Hey Teach,
I'm in the process of writing out my first five Channel 17 TV shows. I'm not saying who my 2nd guest is. That is a Earth Shaking guest. Who is starting to have second thoughts for political reasons. I'm hoping to convince him to appear. I believe Flint needs to hear his words. His way. I believe it will ultimately help him. In his goals. Besides, a little truth never hurt anyone. LOL

however, My 1st Guest I wanted going to get a MARINE who was recently released from the Corps to discuss Leadership.

I know you've seen quite a bit of what I’ve written on leadership. But, I wanted to get a fresh view. A view from someone, who still have every word, and every meaning engrained into their brain housing group. That can effectively express how Marine Corps leadership traits can benefit them in Civilian life.

__________Marine Corps Leadership Principles and Traits_________________
• know yourself and seek self-improvement.
• be technically and tactically proficient.
• develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates.
• make sound and timely decisions.
• set the example.
• know your marines and look out for their welfare.
• keep your marines informed.
• seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
• ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
• train your marines as a team.
• employ your command in accordance with its capabilities.

___________________Marine Corps Leadership Traits______________________
• dependability
o the certainty of proper performance of duty.
• bearing
o creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance and personal conduct at all times.
• courage
o the mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.
• decisiveness
o ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.
• endurance
o the mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.
• enthusiasm
o the display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.
• initiative
o taking action in the absence of orders.
• integrity
o uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.
• judgment
o the ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.
• justice
o giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. the ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.
• knowledge
o understanding of a science or an art. the range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your marines.
• tact
o the ability to deal with others without creating offense.
• unselfishness
o avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.
• loyalty
o the quality of faithfulness to country, the corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers.

I wasn’t thinking about you until just now. I don’t know I didn’t think of it sooner. I want to start taping next week. Are you willing?

No politics, just how living by a set of prinicples can help mold and shape ones destiny. And how they can be used in every day life. How they help.
Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:15 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Ted!!

If you need any help with your show let me know.
Run equipment what ever.
Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

steve, I was going to hire Paul herring for the first few shows. I need to have a sponsor in order to have it aired. Ie I haven't finished the courses and I don't have all the classes yet. I have three left and they aren't available until aug. I'm still writing out the programs then I need to do some run throughs.
Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:06 pm 
Adam

I think cities like Flint are a lot to blame. What have we done to bring in jobs? Pay 100,000 for some study? If you really look into things it seems to me like we've done more to kill jobs than create jobs.
Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:43 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

you forget one thing about armed service, like the Marines, that they don't tell you in the brochures:

It can get you killed.

Just ask the Marine recruiter in Flint who woke up dead in Iraq.

There are plenty of other places to learn leadership skills, like starting your own business, going to school, volunteering at and organizing charities, etc.
Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:09 pm 
flintteach9

A civilian has a greater chance of dying in a car accident than a Marine dying in Iraq.

No one said war was fair ! But these young men joined with the purpose of serving their country, and leading by example.

Things they learn while becoming a 'Jarhead' !

My son is joining the ANG which will teach him to become a better person and foremost a better American !
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:57 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: