FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Success - Council to probe first lady's influence

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1153839026273540.xml&coll=5

While I think crime is a more important issue. It is nice that citizen activism has finally brought results in Flint. A rare investigation by the council. I think people like Josh Freeman, Alex harris, Eric Mays as well as other lesser know people should be commended for bringing results from citizen activism. I'm a huge fan of results and feel this is a major step in the right direction. Even if the investigation turned up nothing I think it's great the council is doing their job.

FLINT - The City Council took the rare step Monday of agreeing to investigate whether city employees were forced to work on the state Senate campaign of Flint first lady Patsy Lou Williamson.

The decision gives the council power to force city workers and others to testify and could cost city officials their jobs if it can be proven they coerced employees to help the campaign during work hours.

The move comes six days after a union president raised concerns employees were spotted painting and making other improvements to Woodlawn Park, where Williamson held a recent campaign picnic.

Mercedes Kinnee, who organized the picnic event, said she lobbied to have the work done.

"I respect the mayor, and I respect Patsy Lou, and I respect their integrity, but I must look into it," Council President Darryl Buchanan said. "I have an obligation."

A special hearing soon will be set and subpoenas could be issued to city employees. An attorney likely would help oversee questioning witnesses, Buchanan said.

"It's a victory for our side," said former Councilman Josh Freeman.

He staged a rally Monday outside the Flint Police Department protesting the administration's conduct.

The inquiry is unfair and politically motivated, 8th Ward Councilman Ehren Gonzales said.

A Williamson spokesman has said the campaign operates separately from city business, and Mayor Don Williamson said any improvements were part of a citywide park improvement effort.

City employees have been instructed by the mayor not to assist political campaigns during work hours, said Joe Conroy, the city's governmental operations director.

One or two members of AFSCME Local 1600 complained that members of the union were being ordered to distribute campaign literature and erect campaign signs, union President Sam Muma said.

"We'll go through the investigative stage," Muma said. "I have no problem with that."

The union has endorsed one of Williamson's opponents in the Aug. 8 Democratic primary: state Rep. John J. Gleason of Flushing.
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:06 pm 
Young Dem

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Conroy: City workers say they weren't forced to help Patsy Lou's campaign
By Robert Snell
rsnell@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6302

FLINT — Parks & Recreation employees say no one within the city administration forced them help Flint First Lady Patsy Lou Williamson’s state Senate campaign during work hours, a top Flint leader said.
Joe Conroy, the city’s governmental operations director, met with about 12 employees the morning after the City Council launched an investigation into whether employees were forced to work on Williamson’s campaign.

The inquiry follows complaints aired by the head of AFSCME Local 1600 that his members were distributing campaign literature and erecting campaign signs.

Mayor Don Williamson was not at a Tuesday news conference held on the issue by Conroy and AFSCME Local 1600 Sam Muma.

Muma said he has not had time to verify the complaints, though he was reassured by Tuesday’s meeting with employees.

“I’m very confident they did nothing wrong,” Muma said.

It’s unclear whether Conroy’s meeting and the workers’ comments will satisfy City Council members’ concerns.

The council is expected to schedule a hearing date soon and could start sending subpoenas to city workers.

A Journal article last week detailed how parks and recreation workers spruced up a city park days before a Williamson campaign event there.
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:46 pm 
Adam

Is this Mr. Snell posting this? I can't even find this article on mlive today? Even if this turns out to be nothing which would be a good thing, I think it is great that the council is doing its job and actually investigating citizens' complaints.

Adam Ford
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:27 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: