FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Importance of neighborhood crime watch groups

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Tip leads Flint police to more burglary arrests
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
By Bryn Mickle
bmickle@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6383

FLINT - A resident who called in the license plate number of a suspicious car helped police bust three men last week suspected in a series of break-ins of homes in the Glendale Hills neighborhood.

Police already have recovered about $10,000 worth of merchandise, including flat-screen televisions, laptop computers and video game consoles.

Cortney and Dreko Callaway and Antjuan Fairfax have been arraigned on charges of second-degree home invasion in the case and are expected to face more charges.

Their arrests Thursday were among seven burglary-related arrests last week, including:

# Jason Malm and Scott Gronau, who were arrested Feb. 27 and arraigned on break-in charges.

# Emanuel Adams and Stacy Lynn Oaks, arrested Feb. 26, who are suspects in several break-ins still under investigation.

Acting Flint police Chief Gary Hagler hailed the busts as a sign of the department's efforts to cut down on the number of break-ins in the city.

Burglary in Flint has risen steadily since 2003, according to city police statistics.

"Property crimes are a priority, just like violent crime," said Hagler.

He said the department has used several bureaus to address the problem, including members of the city's traffic enforcement.

In one case, detectives latched onto the addresses of suspects after a resident at a neighborhood meeting recognized photos that were passed out by police.

Since mid-October, Hagler said police have arrested members of four organized crews suspected in numerous break-ins throughout the city.

Three of the men arrested in October already have pleaded guilty, with two sentenced to jail and one awaiting sentencing.

Hagler is confident that news of the latest busts will result in more arrests.

Anyone with information about burglaries is asked to call Flint police at (810) 237-6900.

©2008 Flint Journal
© 2008 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.
Source:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-49/1204728613240990.xml&coll=5
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:46 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

People have to get over the fear of "getting involved". Bad things happen when good people stand around and do nothing.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Oh now that Flint Police are asking for a millage they actually follow up on community tips?

Block clubs and NBHD watch groups have been making reports all along.

Yet, they are only listened to and maybe followed up on when a millage is forthcoming.

Yes, Homicides went down BUT the Community Policing Millage we already pay for is to address crimes in the community like hmmm... Burglaries.

Metal theft in rentals is at an astounding level. Perhaps they will finally address that while thinking a millage may be approved.

Someone stole the gas pipes in a house on my block for the copper. NO one investigated. The house could have blown up with children playing next door. Police have other things to do.

No taxation without representation! Do your job all the time instead of only when asking for more money.

When a millage is approved by the voters to fund community policing and is used instead to fund regular policing. It is a misappropriation of funds.

A millage is asked to fund regular policing so half the money now funding policing can go to the general fund. Which has been used to pay a variety of non-approved items.

Yes, neighborhood groups need to keep up the good works but FPD needs to support them even when a ballot issue is not forthcoming.

Peace,
Rap

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:39 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: