FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: City of Flint Police Millage Proposal

Would you support a 3-year 6.9 mill property tax increase for police?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
No
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The City of Flint presently has a 2.0 mill property tax for Neighborhood Police.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:07 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

The monies currently supplied to Community Police does not reach where it is intended. Community Police officers are NOT doing Community Policing as the funds for the 2. millage was asked. They are not in communities but instead answering regular police calls all over the city.

This is a blatant misuse of funds!

Community block clubs and volunteers at police mini stations will concur.

There was almost a movement to vote against the Community Policing millage. Not Because it wasn't needed but because funds were needed for regular policing in addition to Community policing.

An additional 2 mills could have been placed before voters for regular police services in addition to the 2 mills renewal for community policing.

This was not considered- some thought it would pass easier as is and use the funds as needed not as voters intended.

6.9 mills is over the top and not even considered. This is nothing more than an excuse to cut services and to lay blame elsewhere.

Wake up and smell the city admin.

Peace,
RAP

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:19 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
6.9 mills is over the top and not even considered. This is nothing more than an excuse to cut services and to lay blame elsewhere.

code:

That's it exactly. This is exactly how this whole administration works!

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well if they do hire a bunch of new officers it looks like they had better assign half of them to patrol the halls and cafeteria of Northwestern.

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:41 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

BTW, I didn't support the renewal because of the reason the rapunzel11 stated.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Well if they do hire a bunch of new officers it looks like they had better assign half of them to patrol the halls and cafeteria of Northwestern.

At the Tuesday Northside Ministation meeting, someone's there every now & then asking for volunteers to help out in the hallways at Northwestern. What's been going on there lately could be the reason.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I saw on Ch 12 they interviewed NW some students who said the place is basically out of control.

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:18 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

RAP states: "Wake up and smell the city admin."

Are you saying admin should wake up and smell the city, or telling readers to wake up and smell the city admin?

The 6.9 mills under discussion is a pipedream. Watch voters who don't own property vote for it though--like for the Genesee Health Plan. We're all suffering budget crunches and having to cut costs, city hall needs to do it, too.

I agree with RAP's statements about the Community Police but supported continuation of the 2.0 millage for Neighborhood Police so the mini-stations would not be closed. You can call it misuse of funds, or blame the person responsible for assigning the officers all over town.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:27 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 RAP states: "Wake up and smell the city admin."

Are you saying admin should wake up and smell the city, or telling readers to wake up and smell the city admin?

The 6.9 mills under discussion is a pipedream. Watch voters who don't own property vote for it though--like for the Genesee Health Plan. We're all suffering budget crunches and having to cut costs, city hall needs to do it, too.

I agree with RAP's statements about the Community Police but supported continuation of the 2.0 millage for Neighborhood Police so the mini-stations would not be closed. You can call it misuse of funds, or blame the person responsible for assigning the officers all over town.

That would be "The Don" who is responsible!

I'm pretty sure I understand where Rap is coming from. I figured it out as soon as his third month having received the power back from the takeover!

It wasn't too difficult to see.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:57 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
I saw on Ch 12 they interviewed NW some students who said the place is basically out of control.

A NW student told me a week before this happened ...a girl was hit in the face with a lock in a sock and was running down the hall bleeding.

Told me about a gang of girls. Said security staff is non-responsive. Said you can carry anything past the metal dectectors, when it beeps they just wave them through.

Last year there incidents at Central. (that we heard about)

Truth is Flint Schools try to keep incidents quiet. Security staff are lacadaisical and have been for years.

Under No Child Left Behind parents can transfer children from "Persistantly Dangerous" schools.

Peace,
Rap

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: