FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint schools also hire outside of Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

Who needs Flint school jobs paying Flint property taxes when we can hire far away from Flint. This is great news for Flint schools administrators. This way they won't have to worry about sending their own children to bad Flint schools. Do our teachers also live outside of Flint and help support other school districts? By schools staff living outside of Flint we help support other school districts and other cities. I understand the reason behind this but it is frustrating.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-37/11530596518260.xml&coll=5

FLINT - New Flint School District administrators will be able to live farther away and current administrators won't have residency restrictions under a policy change the board of education is expected to approve.

The revised policy would let new administrators live 60 miles from district boundaries - far outside the 20-mile rule now in effect. A board committee passed the residency-requirement revision last week and the full board is expected to approve the changes at an upcoming meeting.

The change would affect about 90 members of the district's administration union. Larry Watkins, union president, could not be reached for comment.

Current administrators would be freed from all residency rules, said David Comsa, the district's executive director of human resources/legal affairs.

That's good news to Leonard Bianchi, the district's director of research and evaluation.

Before he was hired in early 2002, the school board turned down his request for an exemption from the 20-mile limit. He and his wife lived in Perry - just beyond the radius - and she worked in Grand Rapids.

"I asked because my wife has a 75-mile commute from Perry and to have moved another 10, that would have just been too much for her," he said. Bianchi said he has since moved to Flint, while his wife lives in Perry.

He was happy to hear that the policy changes would allow him to move back - or wherever he wants.

"I wouldn't go any further than Perry," he said.

Newcomers would be able to live as far away as Midland, Lansing, Ann Arbor or metro Detroit.
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:58 pm 
guest1026

I find only inner-city, urban, poor cities complain about city employees and teachers living outside of the area (i.e. Detroit, Flint). You never hear of Grand Blanc, Clio, or Montrose requiring residency for employment. So why should Flint? People who work in the city, but live outside of it, still pay non-resident city income tax. So, yes, they are supporting the city. They also likely frequent local businesse on their way to and from work, which supports the city. Besides, you'd probably lose a lot of valuable employees if you required them to live in the city in order to work here.
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:32 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: