FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: County Commissioner Benefits too costly?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Curtis: Benefits way too costly
GENESEE COUNTY
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Monday, February 18, 2008
By Ron Fonger
rfonger@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6317

QUICK TAKE
Cadillac benefits

Heres a look at benefits afforded to Genesee County commissioners:

Salary is $32,000-plus per year for eight commissioners; $37,000-plus for the board chairman.

Health insurance for commissioners is projected to cost as much as $19,377 per year.

Optical and dental insurance for commissioners is projected to cost as much as $10,605 per year.

GENESEE COUNTY - A member of the county Board of Commissioners says its time to end Cadillac-style medical benefits for the part-time work he and his colleagues are doing.

Jamie Curtis, D-Burton, said he wants commissioners to vote on ending medical, dental and optical benefits before they start cutting what's projected to be a $10-million deficit in the coming fiscal year.

"We should look at the whole fringe benefit package," Curtis said. "Health-care costs are just running rampant (and) we still have packages that represent the heyday of General Motors."

Each commissioner costs the county up to $47,000 per year in salary, benefits and fringes, according to county records.

Commissioners are up for re-election this year, but Curtis said he's serious about his proposal, not just setting himself up to look good.

Curtis said he supported a similar measure to cut back benefits for the Burton City Council.

But support for cutting benefits here might be hard to come by for Curtis.

Commissioner Archie Bailey, D-Flushing, said he would support the idea if a majority of commissioners do, but two key commissioners - Chairman Woodrow Stanley, D-Flint, and Rose Bogardus, D-Davison, aren't enthusiastic about a sudden vote on the idea.

Lone Republican Miles Gadola, R-Grand Blanc, also said he's willing to talk about the proposal but isn't necessarily ready to support it.

Stanley would not offer an opinion on the idea but said the suggestion should be a part - not separate from - other discussion on the budget.

The current fiscal year runs through Sept. 30 and the most serious discussions about next year's budget are months away.

"This comes out of the blue," Stanley said. "What is the motivation?"

Bogardus, chairwoman of the county's finance committee, also said it's not time to deal with Curtis' suggestions now, and she doesn't plan to support it in the future.

"It's great to give away someone else's benefits," Bogardus said. "I think the time to vote on it would be December unless, you're trying to make political hay."

County attorney Ward Chapman said commissioners have the authority to change fringe benefits for the next set of commissioners, provided its done before the next group takes office.

Source:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-48/1203348012129340.xml&coll=5
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:31 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Wow looks like they are all getting rich to me... Doesn't the journal got something substancial to cover. Now, they may have pointed out that we possibly have too many. But they aren't getting rich off our tax dollars. 32K-37K is a drop in the bucket. Barely enough to live on.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I'd say $32,000 - $35,000 is pretty good pay for "part time" work. Here's a photo of Commissioners Miles Gadola (who also works for the Probation Dept.), Chairperson Woodrow Stanley (who is also on the Land Bank, and what other organizations?), Rose Bogardus, Ted Henry, John Northrup, Jamie Curtis (now also making $1 year working for the Flint Parks Dept.), Raynetta Speed, Archie Bailey, and Patricia Lockwood.

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/boardofcom/Default.asp

Do you think that's their only source of income? "Regular sessions of the Board are held on the second and the fourth Tuesdays of each month at 9:00 a.m., and at such other times and days as may be established. Committee meetings of the Board are held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays of each week, and subcommittees meet throughout the week." How many hours a week do you think they work for that salary and the benefits shown in the article? How many have health insurance available through other employment or retirement?
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:09 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I just think with the cost of living today. 32k - 37k is not outradgous. Even with the benefits. I would argue though that we have too many officials in government for an area this size. I would rather see a cutback in manpower than a cutback in pay.

Oh and this is strictly my opinion.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

That salary with the "Cadillac benefits" cited for a full time job isn't bad in this city/county. I question the part-time statement because that is typically considered less than 28 hours per week. Under normal circumstances part-time employees are not eligible for insurance and other fringe benefits paid by an employer. $32,000/year for 28-hour week is about $22 hour.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:02 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I can see your point about the benefits. Part time rarely receives benefits.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Jamie Curtis (now also making $1 year working for the Flint Parks Dept.),

What is Mr. Curtis doing? When did this begin?
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Unfrigginbelievable. I'm speechless. I literally can't put into words the anger and disbelief I have towards our supposed leaders.

What happened to the day when they were "public servants" who did it for the common good...not for personal enrichment?
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:30 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

And don't forget about that unfunded retiree health liability:

"We estimate that we have almost 18 million dollars in our pre-paid retiree health care fund, with a projected $180 million liability."

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/boardofcom/STATE%20OF%20THE%20COUNTY%202005.htm
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:42 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
What is Mr. Curtis doing? When did this begin?
Commissioner joins Flint's parks team
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, February 14, 2008
By Ron Fonger
rfonger@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6317

QUICK TAKE
Jamie W. Curtis

The Genesee County commissioner becomes an assistant director of parks and recreation for the city of Flint on Monday.

History: Curtis is a former Burton city councilman and union representative for UAW Local 599.

FLINT - Genesee County Commissioner Jamie W. Curtis is about to start collecting a second paycheck from taxpayers, but this one will net him just $1 a year.

The Burton Democrat has agreed to start working Monday for the city of Flint as an assistant director of parks and recreation for Mayor Donald Williamson.

Williamson, who also takes $1 in annual salary from the city, confirmed the hiring, saying his is impressed with Curtis' energy and enthusiasm.

Curtis' county commission district includes Burton as well as the college and cultural area and east side of Flint. He said he will waive any fringe benefits he might have received connected with his new position.

He worked previously for General Motors in skilled trades as a millwright.

"There are some things more important than money. Public service leads that list for me," Curtis said in a written statement.

"Flint is the heartbeat of this county. I believe in making things happen in the city of Flint."

Rumors of Curtis' hiring have been swirling inside City Hall for weeks, and earlier this month he acknowledged talking to the mayor about doing something more.

"We have talked in the past about what I could or couldn't do," Curtis said at the time. "I'm like anybody else, I listen to what people have to offer."

Williamson said he wasn't prepared to discuss specific areas of the city's parks and recreation system in which Curtis would work.

Curtis won't be the first commissioner to work for another unit of government while serving as a county board member.

Miles Gadola, R-Grand Blanc, is employed by Flint's District Court in the probation department, and Patricia Lockwood, D-Fenton, was elected commissioner while serving as the state of Michigan's emerald ash borer policy director.

Source:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-48/1203002420308140.xml&coll=5
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:34 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

State and local government justifies exorbitant pay and benefits by pointing to the private sector competing for talent. In this economy, the private sector prevailing wagesand benefits are dropping- laws of supply and demand must apply here and decrease wages and benefits to government institutions.

Furthermore, tax sucking entities aren't practicing good stewardship with their revenue stream(s).

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:06 pm 
last time here

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing "tricky mutha" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Any relation to tricky dick?
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:49 pm 
last time here

"i am not a crook" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing another kremer Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: