FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: State takeover of city audit, and budget (refresher)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Anticipated income not coming in. Like the 1.2 million Dan Kildee said he's ready to send from the Land Bank after they renegotiate the contract with the city that expired in JULY. Stuff like this is suspect with Carolyn Sims, Woodrow Stanley and Dan Kildee (part of that Dem party that supported and financed the mayor's opponent in November) sitting on the board of the Land Bank.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:40 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The mayor's staff says the financial picture has changed because of costly new union contracts and because the state and local economy is far worse than they projected a year ago.

Great, blame it on the Unions now. Who was it that needed the Union voted and gave them the costly contracts?? Who started writing checks before the funding for the contracts was even approved properly?? Wasn't there quite a few people stepping up to the plate warning that the budget wasn't correct. that things like a slowing economy had not been taken into consideration. Hmm I know I was one of them. I know Josh Freeman was one of them, Scott Kincaid was one of them. Personally, I think they are all Flint's Top thinkers... LOL well, at least we were all right!
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

If I recall correctly, the mayor submitted a budget the council rejected, and then the council submitted a "counter" or alternative (whatever you call it) budget. In the council's budget they were going to make additional expenditures so there wouldn't have been any money left over. That's with what they all thought it was at that time. And now it's changed for everybody.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 am 
last time here

well, there are quite a few "Flint's Top Thinkers".
unfortunatley, there is a "rift" between groups.

i would love to see all parties working together.

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:09 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
If I recall correctly, the mayor submitted a budget the council rejected, and then the council submitted a "counter" or alternative (whatever you call it) budget. In the council's budget they were going to make additional expenditures so there wouldn't have been any money left over. That's with what they all thought it was at that time. And now it's changed for everybody.

Technically, the budget was never approved by the City Council. Four of the nine voted for it. It takes 6 to completely overturn it.

The Mayor never resubmitted a counter offer back to the Council. He just did his own thing anyway.

Oh and don't think I supported everything the Council Wanted. I felt they wanted some things that were not needed. Like more officers.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

The issue is not whose budget is in effect, or that the Council was going to allocate more money than the Mayor. The issue is that they are spending more money than was budgeted. As of November 07, there were budgets that were over 90% spent. 4 months into the budget year and 90% of your budget is spent. That causes a problem. Poor budget management. Poor Administration.

I don't think that even with massive employee lay-offs that the problem would be fixed. The majority of the General Fund is employee costs, over 66% of it being public safety.

The COF has real problems.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

That is essentially the whole arguement in a nutshell.

They are over budget... not underfunded?
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:12 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

They cut public safety & I'll have to get more hollow points.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ya let the state take over after all old Jenny Granholm has proven to be very adept at financial matters. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
They cut public safety & I'll have to get more hollow points.

well they could start with the don's Consular Guard without impacting ACTUAL public safety on the streets.

maybe the sales people over at Patsy Lou could earn some OT working security in the city.

I think there are already too many "hollow points" at city hall. And they are all on top of the necks of the administration.

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:52 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Ya let the state take over after all old Jenny Granholm has proven to be very adept at financial matters.
Michigan's budget was so far in the whole. Remember when the Michigan State Police donated money to prevent lay-offs of their own? Now they're recruiting trainees and the State's going to build a $5 million dollar training center. Do you ever get the feeling the public is being duped ober the State's budget big time?
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:36 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: