FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Temp World
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
But the lyrics are suggestive of some of the avatars you post, too!
Well I changed my avatar just for you OO. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:

Temp workers are supposed to be just that, temporary, not for long term use.

Right on, Andi03. I was a Manpower temp for a spell too. Honestly, I really enjoyed the diversity of the work. But when you realize that nearly every single short term assignment used to be some one's stable career, you begin to see that you've unwillingly walked straight into one of the most efficient components of the wealth transfer machine. When working people can't make a living doing work, bosses win big by paying less in wages, through more lax safety standards and other worker considerations that temps let slide, and most importantly, by creating an atmosphere of job insecurity and low expectations that eats away at entire populations until they believe that they really are 'just lucky to have a job.' Only if 'good luck' includes being systematically exploited and having your fears played upon until they have you convinced of your own desperation and ready to act accordingly. Realize, putting one's skills 'on discount' is only 'good luck' for bosses.

I understand that not all jobs are permanent. But when this practice is used on computer programers, IT folks, the guy who installs your steering wheel, how can we even say to people, "Go spend more money on higher education or retraining to learn high-value skills of the future," when those skills are being price-rigged on the back-end by the those expounding this as a 'solution.'

http://www.tech-jobs.com/view.php?job_id=591

In the long-run, as that original articles points out, there are fewer and fewer people with enough disposable income to buy the products they make or services they provide, at clearance wages, for fewer and fewer global conglomerates. In time, that severely teetering, off-balance system will just tip over.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Don't you think it's just the redistribution of wealth, moving from industrialized to third-world economies?

I feel that the global economy is a zero-sum game. If there are winners, there must also be losers. I know that no self-respecting economist would probably agree with me.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:51 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I know that no self-respecting economist would probably agree with me.

How about those that have no self-respect? Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:53 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****When working people can't make a living doing work, bosses win big by paying less in wages, through more lax safety standards*****

I don't know about that, my opinion anyway. Smile More or less, I remember taking classes and being instructed to look for things that would be construed as work place hazards for "our" employees, plus just because a place is utilizing temps that does not mean that they are not absolved of adhering to OSHA and or MIOSHA standards. Again, my opinion.

*** and other worker considerations that temps let slide,****
Most of that I can honestly say is 50/50. The employers that have the employees train them, sometimes roll their eyes and train the employees just enough to get by until "Johnny or Sue get back" and then the other side of the coin is that the employees have the attitude well, I am here for x amount of time anyway. This is NOT true of everyone that uses temp services in anyway shape or form, just a real life example of what you speak of through my eyes. Yes, there are also wonderful points about the temp agencies, one lady I will never forget came out of an abusive relationship and got custody of her son and gained confidence and employment after her assignment ended. Everyone has to work somewhere and start somewhere.

****and most importantly, by creating an atmosphere of job insecurity and low expectations that eats away at entire populations until they believe that they really are 'just lucky to have a job.'****

In this day and age I am blessed to have my 10 hour at the max per month job and a contracting job that I am working on now....can't wait for it to end though. Smile Yes, I see what you mean. Not so much low expectations, but expectations from the point of "I am miserable, this job market stinks, I will be lucky with what I have." Unless I am not understanding you. Smile

***Only if 'good luck' includes being systematically exploited and having your fears played upon until they have you convinced of your own desperation and ready to act accordingly. Realize, putting one's skills 'on discount' is only 'good luck' for bosses. *****

I will argue from the point of the fact that I am in the same boat as you describe to a tee....But it is money and it will pay the taxes on the place Up North, that's because hubby took another job that paid 10k less than the last position that he had doing the same job.....same ol same ol, I guess. Do we need the place up north? No, did we want it? Yes. Am I able to do odd jobs to maintain some of the things that we don't want to give up? Yes, I am "lucky" because I can get the jobs....dunno.

*****I understand that not all jobs are permanent. But when this practice is used on computer programers, IT folks, the guy who installs your steering wheel, how can we even say to people, "Go spend more money on higher education or retraining to learn high-value skills of the future," when those skills are being price-rigged on the back-end by the those expounding this as a 'solution.'*****

I saw the job posting, unfortunately, there will never be an IT union, too many people and too many different facets...oy.

*****In the long-run, as that original articles points out, there are fewer and fewer people with enough disposable income to buy the products they make or services they provide, at clearance wages, for fewer and fewer global conglomerates. In time, that severely teetering, off-balance system will just tip over.******

I agree but there is nothing that we "peons" can do about it. Unless everyone stages a sit in and then everyone else that doesn't have a job will walk in and take over their job....cyclical.

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:10 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for this, Andie03. Good to hear more about all of this, especially from your unique perspective. Mostly I think that as larger economic trend, it's bad news for more of us than it is good for some of us.

And on your point that, "unfortunately, there will never be an IT union, too many people and too many different facets." I'd only add that that's the perfect recipe for a powerful union! : )
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:43 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****Mostly I think that as larger economic trend, it's bad news for more of us than it is good for some of us. *****

You are correct.....sigh.Smile

****And on your point that, "unfortunately, there will never be an IT union, too many people and too many different facets." I'd only add that that's the perfect recipe for a powerful union! : )****

Oh, yeah....

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:29 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: