FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: GM, Delphi buyouts will hurt hospitals

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

I'm pretty sure this WILL and not could hurt area hospitals. I'm sure it Will hurt most local businesses. I feel like chicken little yelling the sky is falling with no one listening but I do see rough times ahead. Sad I'm glad for Lapeer as it seems like they are at least trying to get jobs and having some success. I do not see Flint currently even trying or having any success. Lapeer is under a blanket enterprise zone for new and expanding business. There's a lot of things Flint could do but is not doing. This could add to the crisis we are facing. 4,000 workers times 50,000 a year salaries = $200,000,000 taken out of the local economy.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-37/1153147822104580.xml&coll=5

GENESEE COUNTY - What was good news for struggling General Motors and Delphi Corp. could create a crisis for Flint-area hospitals.

The automotive industry companies plan to save money by shedding 4,678 local workers through retirements and buyouts, but that exodus could wipe out a chunk of paying patients for doctors and hospitals.

"It's not a crisis yet, but it's definitely something to be concerned about," said Stephen Skorcz, president of the Greater Flint Health Coalition. "It's true: GM is still the backbone of the hospital business."

Hospitals are bracing for the fallout, considering GM spends $433 million a year on health care in Genesee County.

Genesys Regional Medical Center took the buyouts into account when setting its goal of a 1.8 percent profit in the fiscal year starting July 1, said hospital spokeswoman Cindy Ficorelli.

Hurley Medical Center expects to lose money again in 2007 and laid off dozens of workers effective June 30.

McLaren Regional Medical Center ends its fiscal year Sept. 30 and is making money, said spokeswoman Laurie Prochazka, but numbers were not immediately available.

"The issue of why doctors have been attracted to Genesee County," and the financial health of hospitals, are linked "with the rich benefits of the auto industry," said Skorcz, who said the health coalition will monitor the ramifications of the GM buyouts.

GM reports that as much as $1,500 is added to the price of each vehicle to cover health care costs for workers. That figure is much higher than that of other car companies, such as Ford at $1,300 and Toyota and Honda at $200 or less.

Company-backed health benefits are one of the things workers taking the buyouts of $70,000 to $140,000, depending on years of service, had to give up.
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:15 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: