FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: mississippi what??????????

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

mississippi legislators recently introduced a bill which would make
it illegal for any state licensed restaurant to serve obese persons.

is there something in the water down there?????

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:46 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Last time I knew it was a free country. My mom was morbidly obese, due to an undiagnosed thyroid disorder, that in turn caused some heart damage, not to mention the seizure meds that she is on makes her hungry. Even though she has lost 105 lbs, she has craving for sweets and meats. She has learned to control these urges and even though she is still overweight, I was going to treat her to a piece of cheescake at Big Boy. She was excited because this would be a "treat" and she has the will power to know when to stop now. So she would be denied even though she's obese and NOT morbidly obese anymore?

People are different. I've never had an eating problem, but knowing my mom and living with her and being her cheerleader....this is total bunk. And I am being nice about it.

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:23 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

House bans fast-food lawsuits
From Ted Barrett
CNN Washington Bureau
Wednesday, March 10, 2004 Posted: 6:42 PM EST (2342 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to ban lawsuits by obese customers who say they became overweight by eating at fast-food restaurants.

The bill, which passed 276 to 139, is one part of a broader Republican push to reform the nation's civil liability laws by banning what many consider to be "frivolous" lawsuits.

"Trial lawyers have targeted the fast-food industry as the next big tobacco by bringing these insane lawsuits," said the bill's author, Rep. Ric Keller, R-Florida, referring to cigarette smokers' litigation against tobacco companies.

"We've got to get back to those old-fashioned principles of personal responsibility, of common sense, and get away from this new culture where everybody plays the victim and blames other people for their problems."

Many Democrats opposed the bill, as they did a similar liability waiver the House passed for gun manufacturers last year. Rolling Eyes

"The courts are handling the cases as they should -- if they're frivolous, they're thrown out," said Rep. Bobby Scott, a Virginia Democrat who opposes the legislation.

"That's what everyone else has to go through, and I'm not sure why there's any special case to be made for this industry to have their cases tried in the United States Congress rather than the court."

The National Restaurant Association said the bill is its top priority this year. While only one such lawsuit has been filed -- a case involving New York children against McDonald's that was dismissed -- the industry said it is facing higher insurance costs because of the potential liability.

"It's a significant issue simply by the impact it could have on the entire industry if one of these suits were to be successful," said association spokesman Brendan Flanagan.

Some Democrats said they are concerned the bill will make a major sector of the economy exempt from negligence.

"There's no justification for that," a Democratic Judiciary Committee aide said. "These are not poor struggling businesses who can't defend themselves against unfounded legal claims."

Approval of the bill comes at the same time McDonald's and other restaurants are facing pressure to stop offering bargain "super-size" meals. Last week, McDonald's announced it would eliminate the super-size choice, citing the need to simplify its menu.

"It's hard to believe that trial lawyers want to make the claim that 'Ronald McDonald made me do it,' " House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said about the issue. "The point of this debate [is] all about personal responsibility . If you eat too much, you will gain weight."

Companion legislation is pending in the Senate, but a leadership aide couldn't say when or if it will be taken up.

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:26 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Soon we'll all be able to eat as much as we want, where ever we want, and not have to worry about gaining weight because our legislators will take care of that for us.

Gonzales Seeks Alternatives to Artery-Clogging Trans Fat
Legislation Aimed at Regulating Trans Fat in Food Consumption
— January 31, 2007
LANSING – State Representative Lee Gonzales (D-Flint Township) today introduced four bills aimed at regulating artificial trans fat in Michigan. This life-threatening, industrially produced fat has been linked to such severe health problems as diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer's disease, age-related macular degeneration (the most common cause of blindness) and clogging of the arteries.

"I want to get the conversation going here in Michigan that trans fat does cause serious health complications," said Gonzales. "This pervasive issue is not going away unless we deal with it head on. It's time to strike while the iron is hot and my legislation is intended to do just that."

House Bill 4194 requires all Michigan restaurants to indicate which food items contain artificial trans fat and include a state-established warning on their menus and table tents.
House Bill 4195 would phase out the use of artificial trans fat in Michigan restaurants that are owned or franchised by a person having 20 or more locations.
House Bill 4196 would phase out the use of artificial trans fat in Michigan restaurants statewide.
House Bill 4197 would require state agencies, when awarding contracts to contractors that operate public cafeterias in state facilities, to give preference to those contractors that provide foods of higher nutritional value and that do not provide food containing artificial trans fat.
Study after study has linked trans fats to increased "bad" cholesterol, decreased "good" cholesterol, heart disease and fatal heart attacks. The top nutritionists at Harvard estimate that replacing artificial trans fat with a healthier option would prevent from 30,000 to 100,000 premature deaths every year.

This is the first attempt to regulate trans fat in Michigan. New York City was the first city to phase out trans fat in restaurants in December 2006, and now many other cities and states are looking into legislation of their own to phase out artificial trans fat.

http://049.housedems.com/news/article/gonzales-seeks-alternatives-to-artery-clogging-trans-fat/legislation-aimed-at-regulating-trans-fat-in-food-consumption

Oh and, by the way...I'm not fat...I'm big-boned!
Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:37 am 
last time here

gonzales is doing a good deed eliminating trans fats.

yes, i would consider that some lawsuits are frivolous,
but many aren't which makes this proposed law dangerous.
some businesses have proven time and time again their disregard
for human life in search of profit. there has to be some type of
check and balance system.

mississippi is NUTS!!!

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:00 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: