FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The disappearing middle class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Did they ever fire that lady who heads up the UofM who decided she was gonna continue with race based admissions the voters be damned? If they have not they should.

Mary Sue Coleman...I haven't heard much about that issue lately, but she's still there.

http://www.umich.edu/pres/
Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm 
last time here

ronnie is smiling in his grave Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
A little John Edwards History ....Edwards, who opposes legislation that would cap damages in liability lawsuits, would not respond to repeated requests through his campaign offices for comment.
We should know the position of all the candidates on this issue. It drastically affects the cost of our insurance premiums.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:55 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

So if a doctor butchers you or a corporation willfully poisons you, leaving you unable to work, pay for college, raise a family, walk, experience happiness, or live a life that even a discriminated-against white male would not envy, what is the limit on the damages an individual could receive in order to save the doctor, the for-profit hospital, the for-profit health insurance provider or the poison-spewing corporation from having to raise your premiums (or the price of leaky breast implants)? If they are found guilty, they, not the victim, should pay for the damages. That's how our justice system is suppose to work. All cases are considered unique. Capping what all victims can receive ahead of time is punishing that unique victim and giving a pass to those who cause such damages –  before 'the accident' ever even happens. Is that fair? And what should that cap be for say, rendering a single mother with two toddles to a listless vegetative state for the rest of her life? $25,000? $250,000? $2.50 in food stamps? ¢25 worth of HMO stock? I know, whatever saves the consumer the most money, right? Heck, maybe people shouldn't be allowed to file malpractice suits at all. Yep. Hack away, doc. I trust you. I trust anyone who saves me some scratch on my premiums by screwing innocent, but victimized, people – as long as it isn't me. Go ahead. I'm all yours, doc. 100, 99, 98, . . .
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:29 pm 
last time here

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:18 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I guess when we get Hillary care that means Edwards will be sueing the government everytime he needs a couple million more. By the way tort reform is more than caps it includes reimbursement from those who lose an action taken against you. A good example would be the big city mayors trying to sue gun manufacturers out of business by making them responsible for the actions of some whack job, or when some drunk kills himself or someone else in one of GMs rides and some lawyer goes after GM forcing them to spend millions to defend against the action. My favorite one is so and so is extremely overweight and just keeps getting fatter. Lets find an attorney to sue the fast food industry since they are obviously to blame. Actually I believe if the attorney is Edwards he will probably find them. Anyhow the fact that you and so many are in agreement that 12 jurors should have the right to give unlimited amounts of someone elses money away even if the facts prove differently speaks volumes of what is wrong with the legal system. John Boy would love ya.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Anyhow its good you are so in agreement that 12 jurors should have the right to give unlimited amounts of someone elses money away even if the facts speak differently.

Both sides present their cases, their understanding of 'the facts,' to a jury, and the jury reaches a verdict. It's not about it being the jury's 'right.' It's how the system works, a system designed to ensure that Constitutional rights are protected: like the right to a jury trial. You cannot turn the tables and blame the jury for the amount of money a negligent act costs a guilty party. That blame belongs squarely with the guilty party. Period. If they don't like it, maybe they should take a hard look at the negligent actions that resulted in this loss of precious money. Not that it matters to your concerns, but heeding the lessons of such penalties might also prevent the loss of precious lives.

If you don't think National Healthcare is a good idea, that's too bad. But this scenario speaks directly to competitiveness, the justified ideal for all Capitalistic adventures. If hospital A can perform a surgery without killing a patient and costing shareholders monetary losses from the resulting lawsuit, but hospital B kills patients and costs shareholders money, won't more patients and investors go to hospital A? Won't hospital B be forced to get its act together? Isn't that the glory of capitalism? Isn't that why you want the health care system to remain privatized? You can't have it both ways.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:23 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

You seemed to have dodged the examples of tort abuse I gave you and moved on to Healthcare. Confused
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:42 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

You sighted examples of frivolous lawsuits. I, and more importantly, a judge, would likely agree with you. Next case. I'm just not convinced there should be a fine for pursuing any litigation – again, every case is unique and legal fees are a pretty hefty deterrent against frivolous cases as is. Mostly, I don't think we should set a precedent whereby we discourage the use of the legal system to peacefully resolve disputes.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:59 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

OK Very Happy
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:38 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: