FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Riegle accuses Clinton campaign . . . .

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Riegle accuses Clinton campaign with manipulating Michigan Dem ballot
Posted by Beata Mostafavi | The Flint Journal January 14, 2008 15:54PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint, Politics

FLINT -- Former U.S. Sen. Donald Riegle had harsh words for the only viable Democratic presidential candidate on Tuesday's primary ballot that he called "rigged" and a "manipulation by the Clinton machine."

Riegle, who now lives in Washington D.C., stopped in his hometown of Flint on the eve of the primary Monday to encourage Democratic voters to vote "uncommitted" if they support a candidate whose name isn't on the ballot.

That will help get delegates for the other candidates in the Democratic National Convention. Write-ins for candidates who withdrew names won't be counted.

Riegle accused U.S. Sen Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y of taking advantage of Michigan's early primary that broke convention rules by staying on the ballot after what he says was an agreement that all Democratic candidates withdraw names.

"It reminds me of the old Soviet Union. This is a tactic that should not happen in a democracy," said Riegle, who also spoke in Detroit and Lansing the same day on what he said was "a scam ballot."

"It's an absolute fraud. They very clearly waited until others had followed through with the agreement and then didn't follow through with it. This was not an accident. This is a very deliberate manipulation of the ballot."

But supporters defended Clinton, pointing to Florida, another state where convention rules were broken for an earlier primary date as an example of where candidates U.S. Sen Barack Obama and John Edwards chose to remain on the ballot.

Ron Duncan, chairman of the Genesee County Democratic Party and Clinton supporter, said Obama and Edwards likely withdrew names because they were behind Clinton in Michigan polls and the situation worked in their favor.

"I respect Mr. Riegle's opinion and everything he's done," Duncan said. But "to me, it's a choice Clinton made to stand up for Michigan and not to bow down to a national democratic committee. This was a personal choice each one of them made."

Riegle, who has not officially endorsed any candidate, earned fame when while in Senate he championed freedom of immigration on behalf of Jews in the then-Soviet Union. He switched from the Republican to Democrat side in 1973 because of disillusionment with the Nixon era and Vietnam.

"It destroys people's faith in democracy," he said of the primary, urging Democrats against voting on the Republican ballot. "That ballot is destroying the will of the people."

Permalink:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2008/01/riegle_accuses_clinton_campaig.html
Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:43 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well ill bet old Don will be on the short shitlist of those who wont be invited to the coronation. Laughing Laughing
Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:48 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

My hope is that the Dems go against all odds and actually stand to what they said about stripping all delegates...

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:30 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:

"It's an absolute fraud. They very clearly waited until others had followed through with the agreement and then didn't follow through with it. This was not an accident. This is a very deliberate manipulation of the ballot."

Clinton? Manipulate for personal gain? Naw, it must be that vast right wing conspiracy.

quote:
But "to me, it's a choice Clinton made to stand up for Michigan and not to bow down to a national democratic committee."

She made a choice to stand up for herself, not for Michigan.

quote:
Riegle, who has not officially endorsed any candidate, earned fame when while in Senate he championed freedom of immigration on behalf of Jews in the then-Soviet Union. He switched from the Republican to Democrat side in 1973 because of disillusionment with the Nixon era and Vietnam.

Yeah, and he earned infamy being a member of the Keating 5. Gee, I wonder why he didn't run for re-election after that scandal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_5

Last edited by FlintConservative on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:43 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Opprimo schreef:
My hope is that the Dems go against all odds and actually stand to what they said about stripping all delegates...
I don't like it, but I do agree with you. Do you think if that holds true, it will end up in the courts? It looks like the major news sources must have an agreement not to cover the Michigan "Democratic" Primary!! They've only mentioned the Republican primary on two news channels I've seen this evening.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm 
last time here

that does it. i quit.

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Opprimo schreef:
I don't like it, but I do agree with you. Do you think if that holds true, it will end up in the courts? It looks like the major news sources must have an agreement not to cover the Michigan "Democratic" Primary!! They've only mentioned the Republican primary on two news channels I've seen this evening.

Thats a good point you bring, I did see Michigan Democratic issues covered on channel 12. (where they told people to vote uncommitted). But with the vast majority of the pantsuit Democrats in MI supporting Clinton, I can't imagine they haven't used their juice to try to keep the truth out of the hands of the voters)

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Hey, FC, you're giving me credit for words that aren't mine.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:58 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Opprimo schreef:

It is probably worse than that,they just do not understand the process.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Hey, FC, you're giving me credit for words that aren't mine.

Sorry...my bad. Embarassed
Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:35 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Who cares about Don Riegle anymore anyhow? This man stays as far away from Flint as he can, then he swoops in to help Dayne Walling and now beats up on Hillary Clinton! lol I am pissed off that the other democrats aren't on the ballot, they all had a choice, I thank Hillary for making Michigan Matter

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Riegle accuses Clinton campaign with manipulating Michigan Dem ballot
Posted by Beata Mostafavi | The Flint Journal January 14, 2008 15:54PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint, Politics

FLINT -- Former U.S. Sen. Donald Riegle had harsh words for the only viable Democratic presidential candidate on Tuesday's primary ballot that he called "rigged" and a "manipulation by the Clinton machine."

Riegle, who now lives in Washington D.C., stopped in his hometown of Flint on the eve of the primary Monday to encourage Democratic voters to vote "uncommitted" if they support a candidate whose name isn't on the ballot.

That will help get delegates for the other candidates in the Democratic National Convention. Write-ins for candidates who withdrew names won't be counted.

Riegle accused U.S. Sen Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y of taking advantage of Michigan's early primary that broke convention rules by staying on the ballot after what he says was an agreement that all Democratic candidates withdraw names.

"It reminds me of the old Soviet Union. This is a tactic that should not happen in a democracy," said Riegle, who also spoke in Detroit and Lansing the same day on what he said was "a scam ballot."

But supporters defended Clinton, pointing to Florida, another state where convention rules were broken for an earlier primary date as an example of where candidates U.S. Sen Barack Obama and John Edwards chose to remain on the ballot.

Ron Duncan, chairman of the Genesee County Democratic Party and Clinton supporter, said Obama and Edwards likely withdrew names because they were behind Clinton in Michigan polls and the situation worked in their favor.

"I respect Mr. Riegle's opinion and everything he's done," Duncan said. But "to me, it's a choice Clinton made to stand up for Michigan and not to bow down to a national democratic committee. This was a personal choice each one of them made."

"It destroys people's faith in democracy," he said of the primary, urging Democrats against voting on the Republican ballot. "That ballot is destroying the will of the people."

Permalink:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2008/01/riegle_accuses_clinton_campaig.html

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: