FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: New first ward Councilman

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Delrico Lloyd - anyone know anything about him?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

new young blood.......might be the best thing in Flint since sliced bread!

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:46 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Only what I've read on Mlive. Good for him. I hope he keeps his enthusiasm and integrity.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I heard it took 25 ballots. Must have been an interesting meeting.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

25 ballots???? i suspect the majority got tired of the politicing and said
screw it!!! the kid looks like he has enthusiam. i'm impressed and wish
him the best.... Cool

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Be interesting to see how each councilperson voted on the different ballots.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

According to the Journal, Poplar & Sims voted for Coleman on the last ballot.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Delrico Lloyd - anyone know anything about him?
ABC12 6 o'clock news: He's a college student, feels public service is his calling. He will go door to door to meet his constituents to learn their concerns. He's reflecting the positive attitude of Obama's "Yes, we can!"
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:24 pm 
last time here

3 cheers for the kid!!

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:29 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

From foster kid to Flint City Council
Posted by Joe Lawlor | The Flint Journal January 10, 2008 20:11PM
Categories: Flint

FLINT -- Flint's new political wonder kid was a comeback kid when he really was a kid.

If Delrico Loyd hadn't been savvy at age 5, talking his way out of a bad foster home in Detroit to rejoin his family in Flint, he probably wouldn't be the new 1st Ward councilman.

"It was divine intervention," Loyd said. "Everything just had a way of working itself out."

Now Loyd has big plans for the city, and he's so excited when he talks about ideas that his words sometimes tumble over each other.

Wearing a black and tan suit with a white boutonniere, Loyd basked in the attention during a swearing-in ceremony Thursday at City Hall.

That came after he charmed City Council members during his interview Monday.

In a surprise move, council members passed over former councilman Johnnie Coleman and seven others Wednesday to appoint Loyd. He will serve until at least August, when 1st Ward residents will vote to replace Darryl Buchanan, who is now city administrator.

Politicians gushed, and they seemed sincere in their praise.

"It's just so refreshing to be standing next to you. I'm so proud of you," said Council President Carolyn Sims during the swearing-in.

Loyd said he's come a long way since he and his twin Deerico Loyd felt lost and alone in Detroit when they were 5.

"He would call our family and tell them all the bad things that were going on, all the things they weren't doing right," said his cousin, Markisa Holmes, explaining that the family would respond by paying the twins visits. "I believe that's why he's here."

Loyd said he doesn't remember what he said during the phone calls, but he recalls trying to do everything he could to get back to Flint, where his family who loved him and tried to adopt him lived.

Loyd was the foster child of Flora Quinn, but when she remarried and tried to adopt him and Deerico, the state said "no" because of her husband's problems with foster children from his previous marriage.

So Delrico and Deerico were shipped to a foster family in Detroit.

"That just about broke my heart," said Quinn, who had raised the boys since they were 18 months old. Their biological mother was a teenager who was going through problems with her family, said Loyd's adopted mother, Shirley Loyd-Oliver.

Loyd said his new family in Detroit wanted to adopt his twin, but not him. He said he remembers feeling neglected.

"I wasn't feeling the love," Loyd said. "It wasn't home. All (my brother and I) had was each other. It was us up against the world."

"We always stick together," said Deerico Loyd, who is as quiet as his brother is outspoken.

They went to a second foster family in Detroit, and the elderly woman who cared for the twins was overwhelmed at having two young boys, family members said.

But he kept in contact with Quinn, her daughter Loyd-Oliver and their extended family.

"We would go down to Detroit, pick them up and get them haircuts, take them shopping, get them food, supplies and whatever they needed, and then bring them back," Loyd-Oliver said.

Loyd-Oliver, who was single at the time, decided she would adopt the twins, and this time the state said yes. It took more than a year of living in Detroit, but by age 6, Delrico and Deerico were back in Flint.

"When they came home, they walked through all the rooms in the house and Delrico said, 'You adopted me, but you're my sister. You're not my mama. My mama is my mama,' I just said, 'OK,'" said Loyd-Oliver, laughing at the memory.

In Flint, the boys thrived. They became involved in North Star Missionary Baptist Church. Delrico sang in the choir and did organizational work, such as setting up for events and calling people and asking them to volunteer. Deerico played piano and drums, and he turned church music into a career. He's now touring the country as a professional gospel musician.

Delrico was attracted to politics at a young age. He has worked on the campaigns of state Rep. Brenda Clack, former councilman Omar Sims, and others since he was 12.

He's a political junkie, glued to CNN and C-SPAN, and an admirer of presidential candidate and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama. Applause

He talks about starting up programs to create scholarships and to inspire high school dropouts. He also wants to go out on the streets and talk to drug dealers to see if he can get them to turn their lives around.

"It is my job to motivate people who are not motivated," Loyd said. Applause

Loyd admitted he made a big mistake growing up by not valuing education. He said he didn't pay much attention in school until he was 17. That's when he figured out education was important if he wanted to achieve his goals.

He graduated from Northwestern High School when he was 19, and has about one year's worth of college credits from Mott Community College. He plans to attend the University of Michigan-Flint to earn a degree in public administration, while still working at Delphi Corp. and UAW Local 651.

Oh, and he has that City Council gig.

Loyd said his past gives him the experience to quickly read people and relate to what they're going through, which will help him as a council member.

"You can let your past take over your life. Or you can take your past, look at it and say yeah, that's my past, but let's look at what you can accomplish in your life," Loyd said.

Source:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2008/01/from_foster_kid_to_flint_city.html
Accessed: January 10, 2008
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

He could be a breath of fresh air for the city.

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:46 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: