FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint's system of government and other stupidity

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
cornholio
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone ever proposed changing the charter (or whatever necessary) and moving from a strong mayor system to a council-elected mayoral system? Think Auburn Hills.

I've seen comparisons of Flint-Saginaw and Flint-Lapeer but never Flint-Pontiac, in terms of downtown rehab. Turn the Capital into a Flint version of Clutch Cargo ...

Why would people buy new houses and lofts downtown, when they'd have to drive to the 'burbs to grocery shop? Where's the good Jewish deli when you need it???

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:05 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

That has been disscussed. The problem is. With the Mayor'$ influence over the Flint's politics. THose who were dicussing it determined to wait until after there is a mayorial change. Since, the Council continues to show they are doing the Mayor's bidding. Not the peoples. Watch the City Council Meetings. The only time the Mayor get's any real support. Is when he has his employees come down to Council meetings and speak on his behalf. There are a few occisionally that come down and do it on their own. But the majority of speakers are speaking out against WhAT THEY SEE the council doing and how the Mayor is taking advantage of those least able to fight for themselves.
Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Plato

its not the form of government, its the quality of the people elected or hired and the power of the citizens who choose to participate in public policy development and debate.
Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:49 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

THis is true. But there has got to be a better way for the "PEOPLE" to be able to participate. We in Flint just keep beating our heads against a wall with fictional crime drops, Saving money while spending more, Support from the majority of citizens that work for the Mayor. Not the Majority of Citizens in the City.

THere has got to be a way that allows the citizens more input into government.
Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
plato

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
THis is true. But there has got to be a better way for the "PEOPLE" to be able to participate. We in Flint just keep beating our heads against a wall with fictional crime drops, Saving money while spending more, Support from the majority of citizens that work for the Mayor. Not the Majority of Citizens in the City.

THere has got to be a way that allows the citizens more input into government.

Better citizens, stronger citizens, more informed citizens, its not the form its the people who choose to compete in politics, public poilicy debatre, public resource allocation. Give me 20 policy warriors who will spend 10 hrs a week for a year and we will turn this place upside down. But we can't because good people are timid. To keep democracy we must have strong people.

Terry Bankert 06/22/06
plato when I'm in a hurry
Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:35 pm 
Adam

I'd have to agree that generally a council mayor system like Flint used to have is generally better. However, New York City also has a system of government like ours that was doing miserably until a Republican named Giuliani won the heavily democratic city. I'd recommend reading Leadership by Rudolph Giuliani. You can buy it on EBAY for under $10 or the Flint library has copies. Partisan politics aside I hear the lofts are renting out fast. If the billion dollar Mott foundation would fix up the decrepit buildings it owns downtown or sell them to someone that would I think we'd be in O.K. shape. We also need high security parking meters and better police protection for everything to come together.

I do have some major issues with the charter although I think if we had a Giuliani style mayor things would improve.

For 1. Please explain to me how the civil service department is qualified to make hiring decisions for every branch of city government? If you were a department head wouldn't you like to be in charge of your department and decide who gets hired and fired? The civil service commission has wreaked havoc in Flint over the years from what I've read. I recognize no names on the commision and doubt they would be qualified to run any department let alone decide who works in every department.

Adam Ford
Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:38 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: