FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michigan Democrats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Laughing

Oh

my

gawd!

Snakeman

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Well, now we know what the Dim's national leadership thinks of us. Haven't you people figured out yet that you're just supposed to shut up & do what you're told? Haven't you got the message that they just don't care about you, or Michigan?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

no no no. they don't care for the michigan PROCESS.

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:42 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Voters need to realize what casting primary ballots will get them

There is so much wrong with the Michigan presidential primary on Jan. 15 that it is difficult to know where to begin.

For starters, the taxpayer-funded election appears to be largely conducted for the benefit of the state's two major political parties because Democratic and Republican state party chairs will get exclusive looks at the party preference of all voters.

That's right.

If you vote on Jan. 15, you will have to declare for either the Republican or Democratic ballot. It's true that in many other states, primaries are restricted to folks who have registered for a specific party. But that hasn't been Michigan's practice. And, in those other states, the voters' selection is public record.

Not in Michigan.

Bowing to the needs of their political parties, lawmakers specifically forbid the release of what should be a public record; however, the primary law unabashedly turns over those records to the state party chairs, who are free to use them as marketing tools.

Who knew that in a time of a supposed state financial crisis that it was a government duty to prime the marketing budget for Republicans and Democrats?

What's even more amazing is that the Republican majority on the Supreme Court somehow discovered a constitutional right for political parties to benefit from these shenanigans. These are the same guys who piously campaigned that they would never be activist judges and would strictly interpret the Constitution. What a laugh.

The primary got rushed through Lansing even while lawmakers and the governor were failing to adequately deal with the state's budget. The lawmakers were supposedly dedicated to moving up the primary date so that Michigan voters could have a say in selecting the next president. But that has been a sham.

The Michigan presidential primary is so unimportant to Democrats that the party's top two finishers in Iowa — Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and former Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C. — won't even let their names be on the ballot.

As further evidence of the primary's unimportance, a 24-paragraph CNN story the morning after the Iowa caucuses previewed the important primaries coming in New Hampshire, South Carolina and Tennessee as well as the Super Tuesday primaries in February. The Michigan primary, only days away, was not mentioned.

The facts are pretty simple. Many in both parties are understandably upset with the attention given the early New Hampshire and Iowa primaries. So, even though Michigan law provides a statewide February election date, they convinced their puppets in Lansing to create this sham of a primary.

It's fine if state political parties want to have a backyard brawl with their national organizations. And it's fine if they want to set the rules about who can vote in their primaries. But they should do all this on their own dime. If the taxpayer is going to foot the bill, normal rules should apply.

But that's not the way things are done anymore in Lansing, where politicians — and that includes the state Supreme Court — clearly have far more allegiance to the hacks who run the political parties than they do to their constituents.

It's frustrating. And the temptation is to skip the vote. But Michigan residents treasure their presidential votes, so much so that nearly 60 percent of them plan to exercise their rights next week.

Good for them. But they should clearly understand the morass they are stepping into as they approach the voting booth.
-----------------
Source:
http://www.dailypressandargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080106/OPINION01/801060340
Accessed: January 6, 2007
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:53 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

WZZM13 NEWS GREATER
GRAND RAPIDS NEWS

U.S. Rep. Hoekstra fears Michigan's primary will be 'tainted'

Created: 1/4/2008 10:41:57 PM
Updated: 1/4/2008 10:44:02 PM

Michigan's Presidential Primary will take place on Tuesday, January 15th.

Most of the democratic candidates are not on the ballot after withdrawing their names in protest when Michigan moved up its primary date. Experts say those democrats who do vote will likely choose Hillary Clinton.

Republican U.S. Representative Peter Hoekstra says the way the primary is set up could have a negative impact on the Republican candidates, “It's structured so poorly, and the results may be very much tainted because it's not really a Republican Primary.” Hoekstra explains, “It's really a primary that's open to all voters in the state, but all voter's in the state will probably only vote in the Republican Primary, it's really a mish-mash."

When casting a ballot in the primary voters have to declare whether they are a Republican or Democrat and will receive the corresponding ballot.

Hoekstra says since there is no real race on the Democratic side, the fear is those voters will instead participate in the Republican primary and skew the outcome.

The party declaration does not carry over to the general election.
---------------
Source: http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=85812
Accessed: January 6, 2008
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 pm 
last time here

i will refuse to vote in the primary. whats the point????
this is screwed up..i am unhappy with my party.. Mad Mad

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:05 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Remeber that old song"Its My Party and Ill Vote if I want to" or something like that. Laughing
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:12 pm 
last time here

damn i'm old....i DO remember...(wheres my geritol!) 2 man down

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:18 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

What options do we have to make this primary a meaningful event.

1.A presidential primary is the best opportunity to "Party" build by bringing new people in.
2.A primary of inclusion and real competition validates our two party system.
3.The under 35 crowd now have their eyes open and are going to compete and begin to win in the political process. The new 30 is now 56 for me, in a couple of week it will be 57 whoda thunk... they will gravite to the real process in the R column.
4.The narcissistic egotists running the state party have brewed us a bitter cup of presidential coffee. The brewmister responsible should be sought out and fired. Who could this brewer be? Oh Mark the Brewer Chairperson of the Michigan Democratic is the guilty one.

5.What can we do to derail his agenda without hurting ourselves?[I am talking to the d's here]
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
WZZM13 NEWS GREATER
GRAND RAPIDS NEWS

U.S. Rep. Hoekstra fears Michigan's primary will be 'tainted'

Created: 1/4/2008 10:41:57 PM
Updated: 1/4/2008 10:44:02 PM

Michigan's Presidential Primary will take place on Tuesday, January 15th.

Most of the democratic candidates are not on the ballot after withdrawing their names in protest when Michigan moved up its primary date. Experts say those democrats who do vote will likely choose Hillary Clinton.

Republican U.S. Representative Peter Hoekstra says the way the primary is set up could have a negative impact on the Republican candidates, “It's structured so poorly, and the results may be very much tainted because it's not really a Republican Primary.” Hoekstra explains, “It's really a primary that's open to all voters in the state, but all voter's in the state will probably only vote in the Republican Primary, it's really a mish-mash."

When casting a ballot in the primary voters have to declare whether they are a Republican or Democrat and will receive the corresponding ballot.

Hoekstra says since there is no real race on the Democratic side, the fear is those voters will instead participate in the Republican primary and skew the outcome.

The party declaration does not carry over to the general election.
---------------
Source: http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=85812
Accessed: January 6, 2008

Congressman Hoekstra is probably fearing this possible January 16 headline:
RON PAUL PULLS UPSET--G.O.P. STUNNED

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:23 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Here's a link to Senate Bill 0624 (2007) that creates our presidential
primary mess. What I find most interesting is the Senate Fiscal Analysis
document entitled ENACTED (9-11-07) which is found as a link lower on
the page.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2007-SB-0624

"A participating political party may use the information transmitted under these provisions only to support political party activities by that participating political party, including support for or opposition to candidates and ballot proposals. A party may release the information to another person, organization, or vendor for the purpose of supporting political party activities, including support for or opposition to candidates or ballot proposals."

Excerpt:

BACKGROUND

"Michigan held statewide open presidential primaries from 1916 to 1928; provisions for a presidential primary were repealed in 1931. In 1972, provisions were inserted in the Michigan Election Law to establish an open primary. While electors could vote only for the candidates of one party, they did not need to be registered members of that party in order to do so. This led to the possibility that members of one party could temporarily "cross over" to cast votes for another party's candidates, so the winners might not be the most popular choices among their own party members. Before the 1980 presidential election, the national Democratic Party adopted a rule preventing its members from recognizing the results of open presidential primaries in selecting delegates to the national nominating convention. Michigan Republicans then decided not to use the presidential primary as a means of selecting delegates in 1984. As a result of these actions, amendments to the Michigan Election Law in 1983 eliminated the presidential primary.

Public Act 275 of 1988 then amended the Election Law to establish a closed presidential primary system that required voters to register their party preference before voting. Dissatisfaction with this method inspired both parties to modify theirprocedures for the 1992 primary by rule. The Democrats allowed electors to vote in the Democratic primary if they registered as Democrats on election day; the Republicans allowed people to vote in the Republican primary without making a party declaration. Subsequently, Public Act 87 of 1995 removed the statutory requirement that a voter declare a party preference, and thus returned the presidential primary to an open primary.

In 2003, concerns were raised about the cost of holding a presidential primary election. Since only the Republican Party would be participating, due to the Democrats' rule against open primaries, and it was widely believed that President George W. Bush was not likely to have any viable opposition in the primary, Public Act 13 of 2003 amended the Election Law to eliminate the primary in 2004, and both parties ran their own nominating processes.

Regardless of the different methods used to select delegates, both parties traditionally have adhered to the date of the Michigan presidential primary prescribed in the Election Law. The primary was held early in April between 1916 and 1928, and during the third week of May from 1972 to 1980. Subsequently, the date was changed to the third Tuesday in March. To allow voters to make their choice earlier in the nominating process, Public Acts 71 and 72 of 1999 advanced the date to the fourth Tuesday in February."
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:37 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I will send you a private message containing my address so you may send me some Excedrin after that message....<sarcasm>.....thanks for the info....Wink

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:24 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: