FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: GREAT SCHOOLS in Flint MI USA , HELD BACK!.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
pachucos schreef:
I will try to say this in the nicest way. Terry shove it up your ass.

About Pachucos

This response is not to you ,Pachucos, it is about you.

1. The example here is the best argument for debating on line using your real name.

2. It is wimpy cowardice to do other wise if your truly are committed to you positions.

3.On the other hand if we speak the truth and tell it like it is we should expect these reactions.

4.Flint is a working class community that rolls over for the next elite or big mouth. Why can we not do our own thinking.

5.Flint is a community that citizens with unique legitimate ideas and positions on issues are intimidated , on line by the likes of Pachucos, in the press by have the working mans positions dismissed by the powers that be that want to speak “ with one voice.” Meaning their voice only. Citizens are intimidated in public at neighborhood meeting, public forums and public comment meeting of governmental bodies by foul mouthed know it all name callers that cause good people to just give up.

6. I am willing to be a point man to show others to be not afraid of the cowards.

7.But this is such a small minded skirmish the falsely named writer has engaged in. It is really not worth response except for this. DO NOT BE FEARFUL OF THE FOUL MOUTH NAME CALLERS THEY ARE COWARDS, if you want to participate -show up, if you want to be seen - stand up, if you want to be heard - speak up. Your ideas are as important as anybody else.

Do not wait to follow , just lead.

Respectfully submitted to the community and with vile disrespect to Pachucos.

Terry Bankert
5/8/06
Post Sun May 07, 2006 10:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I knew you'd have a classier response than I would.
Post Sun May 07, 2006 6:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

Rapunzel,
What happened to Lynn from uncommon sense?

Ted,
I think you should volunteer for a crime watch and then try recruiting some volunteers to have an idea of the website. Another idea I had was a website for our 250 block clubs. On another note have you been to many of our social welfare websites? I wouldn't be surprised if there is 100 or more of them. Maybe a couple hundred? I'm not even sure which ones we as tax payers are even helping to pay for. lol

To be fair Ted I think Rapunzel is a lot more likeable than us a point which I almost immediately noticed. On the other hand although I think Rapunzel is right about most stuff when I pay attention to guys at community meetings not paying much attention to her sometimes it feel like I'm back in the 20's and 30's during before women's sufferage. On the other hand sometimes at community meetings it doesn't seem like nobody really listens to anybody. lol
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:47 am 
rapunzel

Thanks, I think ...Adam.
We are off topic on this thread.

What happened to Lynn is an older story revisited. You can look it up in this months issue of Uncommon Sense.

Her son has started a new crime watch.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 9:35 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

rapunzel, did you read my response?

http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=563&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=171ff66bb3e85dbabb146b5aed12143e
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
ellwoodflint

Adam,
the difference, if any is the fact that they are acting as a politician would. they say what you need to hear. they are not lieing, but they are not completly honest either
also the IB program they are saying will be at whittier is just a similar academics rigorous program. we will have to pay over a million dollars for the actual program and that is only if we are granted the chance after we have proven ourselves and have applied for it.
if you look at the top 40 schools listed in news week which is the plan our super has for us, you will see that the students who attend those schools are 5% eligible for free lunch, they mostly come from middle to well off families and are already academically succeeding. they just scrape the cream from the top and put them in the program, that is why it is miltons plan to bring kids from outside the district to our IB schools.
It takes at least 5 years minimum for change to show any promise effect.
this district is going to be in alot of chaos , does that make the current students in our schools collateral damage for the future ones?
Post Tue May 09, 2006 2:57 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

The FLint Journal is openly questioning Miltons leadership! see
http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/post/2006-06-15_05:54:09/

Can The Flint Board of Education pull this off? Why has the board not been fully informed?

Is Milton just smoke and mirros for another agenda?

I hope he succeeds but it seems his cheerleaders are now questioning him.

Thoughts!
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Rapunzel

Attend the board meeting on Wednesday!

I have talked with many students embarking on 7th grade. They will not be attending Flint Community Schools.

Declining enrollment????

Nice Blog Terry!

Peace,
RAP
Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:18 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I wish I was more in tune with all the nuances of Flint schools. Things do seem a little overly complicated though. Most schools just have honors and ap classes. I do have a good feeling about Walter Milton. I also really like Flint school board meetings. If we can drop our dropout rate I think we should be able to do ok. I definately need to take a vacation day so I can get down to a school board meeting.

What did the Great schools initiative come up with?
Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:43 pm 
rapunzel

It is nothing but Pissing in the Wind at this point. Budget will be rolled just prior to deadline. NO chance for modifications. Hold on to your asme!

Board meeting tomorrow. 5:30 committee 7pm board
Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:31 am 
rapunzel

Adam,

Look into subject.

Minimum required for state backed bond for school improvement loans.
Wallet busting 7 mills for 30 years. No way low income constituents can afford. To fix our DECAYING school buildings for a lesser amount would require selling bonds at junk market rate. READ High Interest Rates.

Emerson did modify requirements from inclining enrollment. step 1.

Still no way we can fix our delapitated facilities on income of our taxpayers.

Your solution?
Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:45 am 
Adam

If Flint could hold onto it's students we would be in much better shape because more students equals more money from the state. To do this I think we need to improve our schools. I'm not an expert yet but I do have ideas on how to improve schools from personal experience and things I've read and seen. I'm somewhat familiar with Davison schools but not Flint as much. To become a Flint expert I would want hands on experience in the classroom. The first question is how much money do we need??? The next is how to get it.

To get money I'd probably talk to the Mott Foundation as well as track down some big money donors. We have one that gave millions to the FIA. I'd also like to get on the appropriations committee and have us spend less money keeping non violent offenders in prison so we could send more money sending poor minorities to college and educating students in addition to increasing per pupil funding. A black person is about at likely to go to college as they are to go to prison from what I've read. I think we spend about $1.5 billion keeping people in prison. Hopefuly we can cut costs by increasing (starting) community service requirements and lessening jail time for non-violent offenders.

For the situation we are in I don't think step one will cut it. I'd probably personally try and motivate students to stay in school get involced, run for office and bring home some state championships. We also need to take immediate small and/or big steps to help encourage kids to stay in school.

Heres's some reasearch for you Rapunxel
From 1985 to 2000, Michigan increased spending on higher education by 27%, but corrections spending grew by 227%. Corrections spending grew at 8 times the rate of higher education spending.

In 1985, Michigan spent $1.608 billion general fund dollars on higher education and $488 million on corrections. By 2000, Michigan spent $2.038 billion on higher education and $1.596 billion on corrections. Put another way, from 1985 to 2000, higher education funding in Michigan grew by $430 million, while corrections spending grew by $1.108 billion. In Michigan, 85% of all state spending on higher education comes from the general fund.
http://www.justicepolicy.org/print_article.php?&id=55

Unfortunately with people like you on the sidelines I should loose. Maybe even in the first round.

Adam Ford
candidate for state senate district 27
Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:18 pm 
Adam

I do owe school board vice president Herbert Cleaves some credit. He mentioned that we spend many times more to keep a prisoner in jail for a year than we do to educate a student for a year. This led me to research the issue.

http://www.justicepolicy.org/print_article.php?&id=55

"The annual costs of incarcerating one person in prison in Michigan is approximately $28,000.5 For the cost of incarcerating one person in Michigan, the state could pay the annual tuition of five students at a public university.

Appropriations per student increased 19% (from $5,653 to $6,699)."

So we spend about 4 times as much per year to keep someone in jail as we do to send a kid to school.

To some it's a tough call whether to spend more on kids but let prisoners out. The prisoners I'd let out would be non violent offenders and I'd make them do community service as condition for early release. That way people like Tony Palidino could sit on their ass and watch our parks get cleaned up and trash picked up in places like Flint Michigan. The prisoners would help pay taxes which we can use to spend more on our children.
Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: