FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Denial or just plain lying?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Is the Mayor in Denial or just plan lying?
He announced that "IN 2005, WE SAW MAJOR CRIME REDUCED. THE RATE OF CRIME ALSO WAS REDUCED. AND WE SOLVED MORE CRIMES IN 2005. WE DID THIS WITH GOOD DECISIONS AND GREAT TEAMWORK."
The question has to be asked. If the city's own crime statistics show crime went up? Where did he get that idea? So silly me. Requested the same information he had to come to that conclusion. FOIA request.

original :
http://www.cityofflint.net/images/follow1.jpg

So how is it? that he believes Crime went down. When it clearly went up 30 percent since he took office. 12 percent of that was in 2005?
Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
biggie

How is it you ask?

He is always quick to distinguish failures that stemmed from actions prior to his taking over, so clearly he is ultra-sensitive to the "blame game" vice just addressing the issues and not spending energy on "whose fault it was".

That's the "donald" [we get the small "d", New York gets the "D" for their "donald"] for you; don't tell me you are surprised...you know better than that Ted.

The "donald", for all is image crafting of the 'just working" to better the lives of the citizens of Flint, is very very very concerned with "his" image/reputation. To claim that crime actually went up on his watch would be tantamount to a declaration of failure...something not in the man's vocabulary, much less his psyche.
Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:49 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I just know, that personally. I would have rather he just come out and said. We are in the middle of an upheaval of the police dept. (if they are making changes, list them) be honest. Crime went up and we are identifying the problems. here's what we've found and here's what we are doing.

That would have been a whole lot more acceptable to me. That's integrity. That's Character. That is leadership. By saying crime went down. He accepts lackluster performance in the police dept. because he refuses to address it. either he is lying. Or he just doesn't care. It' not rocket science. There are bad guys out there. instead of letting the police Continue business as usual. treat citizens that pay their salaries with disdain. Allow officers to show up at crime scenes to sit their asses in their cars and not even get out (Kearsley Park incident). Nothing is going to change.

Back to my prior argument. If Officers are allowed now. Not to do their jobs. What good is it to hire more officers, to not get out of their cars and investigate crimes. That just plain doesn't make any rational sense to me.

We have 40 community policing officers working over ten percent harder than the rest of the Department. We could cut crime in half. with 160 officers that just worked as hard as those forty. Instead of the 177 that we have now. (the number is actually higher. But I prefer to error in their favor, the city’s numbers and stats make them look bad enough already)

Anyone know how I might get a copy of the Police Officers Union Contract. I keep hearing how they don’t have officers at certain times of the day because of their contract. Didn’t we just approve a contract. If there were problems like that. Why weren’t those problems addressed?

Personally, I believe it is just another smoke screen to keep from having to take responsibility for poor management of the Police Force. just as GM's Management blames the Union for all their engineering, quality and cost issues. No one ever blames the waste in management, or demands by management to put out faulty products, or GM designing in life spans into their products so that customers have to return to the dealer to have it repaired.

Lack of imagination, creativity from management. Is just another “Metric” we can use in determining the quality of leadership from Downtown.
Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Don't you want to join Patsy Lou's crime fighting team???
Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 pm 

as far as crime fighting, I recall early on the Flint Journal noted he was apt to show up at crime scenes in a plain black [police?] city car....ostensibly to lend his wondrous powers of leadership & sleuthing [Flint's own Detective Monk? Columbo?, McMillan & Wife? or more like Vic Mackie from the Shield?] to the befuddled police dept, who apparently couldn't muddle their way through a routine traffic incident without him.

I wondered then if he took any measures to hide his super hero identity...like a mask or a caped costume [something with a frilly pink boa accent piece would have been striking]. But apparently the "outing" of his escapades by the FJ put a damper on his just budding crime fighting career. oh dear to think of what might have been...........

a manly form fitting black spandex & leather crime fighting costume to accentuate his rugged physique...a dashing, tricked out crime-fighting vehicle emblazoned with Patsy-Lou Williamson Dealership decals all over, like a NACAR stock-car, pulling a full size trailer extolling the populace to vote for you-know-who in the August primaries as he roared through the newly paved streets of Flint fighting crime [battling paper carriers in the city hall]; Sheriff Joe as his loyal side-kick Robin....errr, "Joe the Man-wonder" as his driver; a beacon "DW" blazing across the clouds in the night sky when the city is threatened and the call goes out for "the donald"................sigh, we can only imagine.

man who wouldn't WANT to join that crime fighting team???
Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:45 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I've heard the sheriff doesn't stop crimes in the prison. I've also heard conditions are inhumane in the county jail but it makes me feel so much better to know Patsy Lou will be "working with them". Does that mean she'll bring them cookies she she did for the clerk?
Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:28 pm 
Ted J

Well It's nice to see some poeple still have a sense of humor.
Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:17 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted J schreef:
Well It's nice to see some poeple still have a sense of humor.

Hey I got dibs on the Captain America shield....

we can call ourselves the Flint's League of Extra-Extra-Large & Extraordinary Gentlemen... [sounds better than the mundane "super hero" don't you agree Ted?]

after all that donald is no slim jim and neither am I.

might as well laugh, the alternative is to cry.

biggie
Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well, I sent off my letter to the City Council, Mayor, Police Chief, and Ombudsman. http://www.cityofflint.net/3rd_letter_to_council.htm

I doubt it will inspire thought. As I have no clue what it takes to get these people to think outside of, throwing more money, time and effort at something. Without having a real solution or plan. Working smarter, doesn't seem to factor into any equation. Flint does none of the things other cities that have dropped their crime rates drastically. It's worse than pulling teeth. They latch on to every feel good catch phrase, to justify spending more money on officers. instead of having them do the things other cities have done to lower crime rates.

A simple search on "lowering crime " revels many many suggestions. none of which seem to be a viable option in Flint. 1st, accountability, 2nd follow up, 3rd pro-active. Not one of those things requires more officers to accomplish. Nor do they require more money to do. If council could vote to spend more money on accountability. I'm sure they would. But, look into how the department handles crime or look at their effectiveness. NEVER HAPPEN.

See, you or I would look at an incident where there was a shooting. Then would expect when police showed up. That they would get out of the police car and talk to witnesses or at least talk to the person who was shot at. But, they are not held accountable.

Or say 5 witnesses told police where a felon who stolen guns was located, or where the evidence was. We would assume that police would take the information and check it out. FAT CHANCE! We would call that follow up.

Or, say when community groups and neighborhood watches inform police of drug traffic, drug houses, or areas where gang graffiti was continually being painted. We would say. While on patrol, stop by those areas and sit a few minutes. Then drive back by when ever your not on a call, Instead of tying up all the parking spaces at the 7-11 or parked out at the family video on Fenton rd or in the bar parking lot. Ya know. Being visible, being proactive.

The problem is that the Council cannot fight for or Vote for this stuff to be done. Thereby, they aren’t able to claim they are doing anything. But, cutting the Ombudsman budget, or searching the world over to find a non responsive bidder for the Video taping of City meetings, In order to hire 2.3 additional officers. Proves to themselves that they are doing something to make a difference. Instead of, pressuring the Mayor. To hire a Police chief. Then let that chief do what he needs to do. In order to create better moral and discipline in the Dept. And hold everyone accountable for their actions. This would be the simple solution. Wouldn’t cost the city an extra dime.
Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:21 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: