FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Local Contractor gets Bishop Job!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Local contractor awarded Bishop job
Posted by Ron Fonger | The Flint Journal December 21, 2007 21:24PM
Categories: Business, Flint, Top Stories
FLINT -- Bishop Airport is switching contractors on one of Genesee County's biggest construction jobs -- at least partly because of worries about out-of-town or non-union subcontracting.

The Bishop Airport Authority took only a few minutes Friday before rescinding last month's decision to accept a $6.6-million bid for construction of an intermodal facility.

Airport officials replaced Garrison Co. of Greensburg, Ky., with L.A. Construction of Mt. Morris Township after talks with the low bidder didn't result in a contract.

The intermodal project is an attempt to create a larger transportation hub at the airport, making it easier for more cargo transfers using aircraft and trucks.

"I don't know all the specifics, but I know that generally, common sense would dictate that a local company would have a better chance of providing a quality job," said Charlie Marshall, an authority board member and business manager for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 948.

Garrison appeared to have won the big construction job with a bid $174,000 less than L.A. Construction, but as airport officials pushed for assurances about using local and union sub-contractors, they felt less and less comfortable about the company's plans, airport Director James L. Rice said.

"We still don't have a contract. The communication wasn't there," Rice said. After discussing it, we decided it would be best to stay with a local company."

Authority Board member Michael McNamara said he wanted to be sure as much work as possible will be done by local workers. Initially, he said, Garrison made assurances to airport officials about that.

"In this community, that's important," McNamara said. "Local is what we care about."

The Flint Journal could not immediately reach Garrison, but an L.A. Construction official said the out-of-state company's bid seemed too low had it planned to use union workers for the job, which involves construction of a 60,000-square-foot building, site work and paving.

"We're excited (about) the job," said Aaron Adkins, vice president of L.A. Construction. "We have done work there before (and) we're a union general contractor."

The company has worked on previous airport jobs, including the construction of new parking.

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Deena
F L I N T O I D

That's the contractor that had the job at Flushing HS and built the wall that collapsed resulting in deaths. OSHA fined them---but like all OSHA fines it hardly was in line with the damage caused by their errors.

Aaron Adkins is the owner's kid.

Great.
Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:32 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Did you ever notice that anything connected to Flint whether new projects or trying to repair the past seems to be tainted in one way or another. Sad but true.

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:49 am 
last time here

man........i know larry adkins from 20 years ago. he is one
hard workin kat..he busted his butt to get where he is. while
i do recall the incident deena speaks of, i know that larry is a
stand up and quality guy....both 2tap and ted wake up pissed
off at the city that gave them what they have. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:55 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The only thing I ever got from the city of Flint was the privilage of paying a non resident income tax, a non resident higher rate college tuition and a couple of speeding tickets. Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 pm 
last time here

and employment IN the city of FLINT.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:24 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Yup I did and payed a percentage of my wages to Flint without any say so on who ran the place or what they squandered the money on. Taxation without representation. Oh well even with all the millions they took in Flint still blew it, and still does . Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:20 pm 
last time here

ha ha ha ha. DAMN!!! i give up!! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:38 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
The only thing I ever got from the city of Flint was the privilage of paying a non resident income tax, a non resident higher rate college tuition and a couple of speeding tickets.
I'd say you were fortunate to have an employer such as GM and a college available to you, since you don't reside in the City of Flint--Flint gave you the opportunity to have all your toys and live the life you want outside the city. As for speeding tickets, I'll have to say you didn't mind bending the rules and our police department was doing it's job. Yeay, Flint!! Never let it be said that Flint discriminates against non-residents! Laughing Razz
Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:31 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well thanks a bunch for setting me straight. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:15 am 
Danny Boy
F L I N T O I D

So....Let me understand this....The Airport first awards to a firm that's been in business for over 50-years....who specializes in Aviation construction, whose references are all positive and no blemishes on it's safety record.....Than mysteriously the Friday before Christmas, The airport manager convinces the board that this company is "not local"....erroneously believed to be from Kentucky? and there is no communication?....I've been following this because I have some great friends in Flint that are concerned over this situation and here are some additional facts for the people of Flint, the Mott foundation, the State of Michigan and perhaps even the Feds...but mostly "we the taxpayers" as we are the ones who will end up spending another 170 grand to hire a "good ol boy" with an unbelievable relationship with the Airport .....

- An award was given unanomously the day after the bid to the original company.

- The references were checked out and they got glowing reviews from Oakland County Airport.

- They were asked to purchase a bond, insurance, prepare a construction schedule and provide a list of "local subs"...which they did...including subs from Flushing, Mt. Morris, Saginaw and others.....Union as well as some non-union to which they did as instructed. By the way, it's not dictated to be a "Union JOb"...But they selected some key union subs to be cooperative...and the costs were in line with the prevailing wage requirements in the contract.

- They were sent a contract to which they signed and returned....

- OH YEAH....The local Union BA's started to harrass them and when the firm offered to speak with any of the subs they represented, the BA's said they don't they just represent the General Contractors......

- Than strangely enough, there's this huge revalation that...."oh....we changed our mind because they're not as qualified.....?

NOW....They seem to be hiring a company that....

- Was involved in the Flushing HS accident with 4-persons killed....
- Was apparently sued by Flushing for operating a Junk Yard without a permit
- Recently "locked-out" the Teamsters from their plant over the summer....
- And many other questionable practices that can all be found in the Flint Journal Archives!......CHECK IT OUT!

Hmmmmm.....Somthing just doesn't sound right....

Any thoughts?
Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:09 pm 
last time here

1. who are the union subs?
2. who are the non-union subs?

i'd be willing to bet a local union or two pressured
jim rice big time. probably reminded him of the possibility
of pickets and other job slowing techniques. sounds like
a turf war... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

i wonder if any non-union contractors are working
at metro's current expansion. Shocked Shocked

as far as the teamsters are concerned, about 17 years ago
they walked into a buddy of mines office to "convince" him
into signing up his 1 truck driver. dude walked in with a fellow
teamster who must have been about 6'-7", 350 lbs.
they left without a contract. bullying tactics have never
worked with.........my buddy! Wink Wink Wink Wink

i have been on projects in the past in which the non-union
contractors had to enter and leave through a different door.
i've been on projects in which everyone worked together.
i've been on projects in which the union guys attempted
to convince the non-union guys to sign up during the project.

all rice has to do is hire my buddy! Wink

hey DANNY BOY!!!!! whats the latest??????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:10 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: