FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 6/11/2006 City Council Meeting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The problem with the former council is they continued to run negative campaigns which was contrary to what the public wanted to see. In my opinion, the public wanted people elected who were able to respect others opinions, cooperate not divide, collaborate not criticize, and build trust. These are things that make it more conducive for moving the city in a positive direction, changing the perception of our city to outsiders.

I'm sorry, but when it came to negative campaigns. no one either side can beat Don's message of "They are stealing your money" Seems to me I remember seeing that on rolling billboards. I remember hearing that from Rolling speakers.

When it came to Sandy Hill. While she is obviously a decent person. Doesn't really listen to any one but DON. She let DON run her campaign. While she herself didn't agree with some of what he was out campaigning for her. The thing that killed me. Nailed it right in the coffin. Was when at the election debates. When asked about what they felt about the important concerns and needs of their wards. Her words where "I've found many people that needed their trees cut and grass mowed..." My mouth dropped. I wrote it down. Why would that be the thing she was thinking about? Her campaign was almost going door to door. With a Don Williamson crew. Who when she pointed "I just pointed and what needed to be done and they got right on it" (from the debates). Every one there heard it. If they didn't put ti together. I don't know how to get them to see it.

Legal or not. I personally, see that as buying votes. Doing personal favors for people in order to get them to vote you into office. Being neighborly is one thing. But campaigning by doing peoples yard work is another.

SIDE NOTE: back to that grass cutting issue and cooperation... The Don did run on a platform that this wouldn't happen in his administration. However, it did. So he declared an grass cutting emergency in which he can now by pass bid process. In order to buy or do what he feels is best. Hmmm, if you know about it ahead of time. How, can you not plan to declare an emergency? Which is exactly how it appears. Purposely, by passing the whole process always appears as a political pay off. Especially, when it’s something as obvious as cutting grass. It grows every year. He knew about it last year?

Same with the Tahoe purchase. “The City saved money buying them from SUSKI” how do we know? It was never put up for bid. Applegate is on the Bidders list. They never received a request for bid? For all we know. We spent twice as much for those Tahoes than what we could have purchased them from Applegate. But, again. No bidding took place. Although, that may even go back to the take over. I’ve not taken the time to verify that. I just know the answers I’ve been given by my current and former council people. Plus the information I researched. I did interview applegate. In order to verify they never received a request for bid on the Tahoes.
Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
MJ

This is SOUR GRAPES! HE IS UPSET. GET OVER IT, AND MOVE ON ALREADY!

LMAO Josh Freeman is a nobody.
Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ya know,

I would say that if he was the one that was saying it. But he isn't. I tried to get him to listen to me and not retaliate against Ms. Hill for the dumb things the DON was saying. I would have wanted to fight back too. I felt he looked petty even responding to what was being said. Since technically, she wasn’t the one saying the stupid crap. She just had no ability to control what the Don Campaign or her Campaign was doing in her name. That alone had me questioning her ability to lead and make decisions on her own. LOL I was talking about that stuff before I was ever talking to him about it.

Here's what's even funnier. I didn't support or vote for him the first time around. While I had supported the mayor (even gone as far as to create a website on my dime in support of his election). Soon after he took office, I discover the mayor’s true colors. Say and do anything before the election to get elected. But to hell with his campaign platform. Once your in there. What happened to "Accountability" "Integrity" "Leadership" The Don ahs proven he knows how to use the catch phrases. But lacks the ability to understand or follow up on what he promised.

So when he supported Josh the first time around, I wasn't a big fan. It wasn't until watching, the city council meetings and listening to his sound reasoning. That I actually started to like the guy. He voted with the Don when the Don made sense. But, voted against the Don when it wasn’t a valid or legitimate solution or plan. When people talk about cooperation. The Council BEGGED THE DON for information, for explanation. The Don just responded with name calling. Thus the reason most of his followers. Couldn’t defend a thing he done to it’s complete conclusion. After their first catch phrase they resort to name calling. Remember the Don’s LIES, oops I mean inaccurate statements about Dale Kildee? Or the “Major Reduction in Crime in 2005” when Crime actually went up another 12 percent under his leadership. Which gives Flint it’s Second major crime increase in ten years. Which by the way. Crime increased 30 percent since the DON took over. Our first increase over .31 percent since 1996. Don’t take my word. Check out the city’s website yourself. But, Don’t people aren’t interested in facts. They just prefer to spout put downs. Point out little personality or appearance flaws. Focus on them instead of focusing on Facts. Mostly because they have none.

See, here is what you "DON is god" people don't seem to get. His people and him will gain support of everyone who is slamming him on the FACTS. If he just does what he promised. If the Council. just used some common sense when casting their vote, took a few minutes to listen to the overwhelming response to the things they continually "CLAIM" they have constituency support for. Yet no one ever seems to hear them at city council meetings. If the Mayor and the council would just listen to the people. Then do what is truly in the best interest of this city. Most of us would shut up. And be happy about it.

Fining people for getting their cars stolen in Flint. Give me a break.
Impounding cars for violating City Zoning Ordinances, the storing them at a facility that violates the same ordinance.
Claiming to support Flint businesses then voting for higher costing trucks from outside the city suppliers.
Claiming to save money on maintenance by buying higher maintenance costing vehicles.

We are not all stupid. When we see these things. We speak up. We don’t start talking about OLD Don is or whether his nose runs when he falls a sleep at his desk. We talk and discuss the issues. Based on documented evidence and facts.

To be fair. I have heard a few that praise this council and even have agreed with some of the things they’ve done. But, they sure don’t' get many. Unless the DON sends in his cronies to support his decisions. If you didn’t see that meeting. I’ll dig up the tape of it and send it to you. Then they get support from his employees, Oops I mean the citizens.

The Shunning of City Businesses (Complete Towing, C&S Motors, Applegate, etc) People were out in droves. There was no organized effort to get people to come and speak out. Just as the Paul Herring issue. Paul didn't get on the phone and call people and tell them to come and show up and speak in his behalf. People, that want to make decisions for themselves, who want to get the most information available about what is going on at meetings, were upset. This was really, such a simple issue to resolve. Still. it wasn't resolved. They didn't need any prompting to know exactly where they stood on the issue. I learned more about the issue from the public. Than I knew before the seeing it on channel 17.

Honestly MJ. you sound like one of the Don supporters that when faced with facts. Hides behind snide comments, and attacks that have NO bearing on the issue. but make you feel so much better about yourself. Go back over to Mlive where you can throw your flames and feel superior. Without having to legitimately prove any of the dribble that you spout.

Send me your address. I’ll send you a drool rag. If needed. I’ll be glad to send you a roll to write on for your snide, bloviating comments on. That way you can… I’m pretty sure you get the picture. LOL
Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Quote from Ehren...
"As for the MCC position I hold, I think organizations/boards should refelect the community as a whole. However, I would hope that when I was originally appointed as Trustee it was because I was the best candidate amongst the nine who applied. I believe I was, otherwise I would not have applied. Finally, I was elected by the people in 2001 so the majority of people felt I added value to the position.

Just for clarification, I don't need anything handed anything to me, affirmative action or not. I work hard for what I have. I paid my own way through college, working 30 - 40 hours a week when I was at MSU in East Lansing for my bachelors degree. I also worked full time at Ford and was a member of the MCC Board when I attained my MBA in Finance from UM--Ann Arbor in 2003, completing the normally 5 year program in 3 1/2 years "

Applause Applause!!!
I had to look back and see if I said handout, I did not. This is the mis-conception attached to affirmative action. It is not a handout out! It is an opportunity for diversity among well qualified, hard working applicants. Such as yourself.

The first criteria must be met prior to inclusion based on race or gender. Is this the case for alumni applicants or sports scholarships? I hope so. The only thing attacked is race or gender. Racism vs. equality cloaked as Civil rights.

What really upsets me in the ballot language of the so called Civil Rights Initiative in 2 of 96 words is public education. This will effect children! Children in bilingual programs. Watch a grandfather try to understand a letter home from school when he can not read it. Or a mother trying to help a child in reading. Do these children need more resources to give them equal opportunity? Girls in science and technology programs help us be more competitive in the global market place.

You said organizations/ boards should reflect the community as a whole. Agreed. What is not said is they are As Qualified if not more qualified prior to respect to gender or race. This is the misconception pushed by those who would like to take us back 30 years. thank you for expressing that point
What also need to be said police officers need to reflect the community as a whole to understand the community they work in.

Quote from Ehren...
"As for the media I will have to respectfully disagree with your assesment as I believe the incumbants had the same opportunity to use the media to their advantage as their opponents did. The disadvantage, since some of the campaigns got real negative, the incumbants were hurt more becasue they were already associated with the riff between the Mayor and Council and the public was blaming the Council for many of these problems. At least that is how I saw it. "

The media in Flint is biased on what they edit. Look at who buys the ads?
Respectfully disagree very adamently.

Our team outworked the other....What a team! You had a team, the mayor had a team and a few had what is normal for a city council election. I do not begrudge you your family team. If other teams had a stong family team or not that was fair. It was the mayors team added into the mix that was very unfair. Mayors trucks thoughout the city endorsing candidates was not ethical.

Incumbents were on the defense and did come out negitatively. Done deal.

So how to begin positively? pay Chris Martin from the water dept. to do what? Work with children at Haskell? Should this be from that budget item?
Should he be a lesser paid employee of the parks programs rather than an appointee of the water dept.?

You are the steward of City taxpayers money. I applaud your ability to disagree elequently. Please continue to do so. With your eye on the goal.

We the taxpayers voted for an Ombudsman because we see the need.
We the taxpayers voted for community policing because we want them in our communities. We want safe school zones. More parents would stay in Flint schools if they felt the children were safe. Loss of enrollment in schools turns into more abandoned empty houses ....

Thank you for working for your constituents!
Peace,
RAP
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 am 
Ehren Gonzales

RAP,

Just for clarification, my name was not on those trucks.

RAP Quote:

"You are the steward of City taxpayers money. I applaud your ability to disagree elequently. Please continue to do so. With your eye on the goal.

We the taxpayers voted for an Ombudsman because we see the need.
We the taxpayers voted for community policing because we want them in our communities. We want safe school zones. More parents would stay in Flint schools if they felt the children were safe. Loss of enrollment in schools turns into more abandoned empty houses .... "

I made an amendment that passed to reduce the requested funding by $230K allocating the money to police. The Ombudsman office still had an increase of $62K from the Mayors proposed budget. As you are probably aware, I am not a proponent of the Ombudsman Office, however, I do have strong confidence in the person we chose for the position. It is not a priority for me. Public safety and economic development are more critical at this time. When there is an emergency would you rather have an Ombudsman Office with high levels of funding or more first responders to quickly respond to the problem?

I did not believe in giving the office $.5M as was requested. My reasoning... I do not believe anyone knows what the appropriate level of funding should be until there are metrics to measure the volume of complaints to be investigated. I say until there is further information we should not allocate too much funding. Why create additional positions on only a perceived need. Priority should be public safety. This would address your concern for safer streets, safer school zones, and potentially avoid the enrollment losses the schools are experiencing, which in turn would alleviate the number of abandoned empty houses.

Ehren
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:41 am 
Adam

In case people forget the city council does have the same investigative powers as the ombudsman they just don't seem to use them. If our city government operates like it should I think the office should be able to be run on $70,000 a year. The only calls the ombudsman should get are when city government fails. In other words the ombudsman should not have to do any work. If the ombudsman is overwhelmed we need to improve city government not just add more staff.
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:25 pm 
Ted J

quote:
I made an amendment that passed to reduce the requested funding by $230K allocating the money to police. The Ombudsman office still had an increase of $62K from the Mayors proposed budget. As you are probably aware, I am not a proponent of the Ombudsman Office, however, I do have strong confidence in the person we chose for the position. It is not a priority for me. Public safety and economic development are more critical at this time. When there is an emergency would you rather have an Ombudsman Office with high levels of funding or more first responders to quickly respond to the problem?

I did not believe in giving the office $.5M as was requested. My reasoning... I do not believe anyone knows what the appropriate level of funding should be until there are metrics to measure the volume of complaints to be investigated. I say until there is further information we should not allocate too much funding. Why create additional positions on only a perceived need. Priority should be public safety. This would address your concern for safer streets, safer school zones, and potentially avoid the enrollment losses the schools are experiencing, which in turn would alleviate the number of abandoned empty houses.

I'm sure most poeple know where I stand on the Office and also on the appointed person. So i won't mention that agian.
However, you bring up some more interesting points.
quote:
Public safety and economic development are more critical at this time. I do not believe anyone knows what the appropriate level of funding should be until there are metrics to measure the volume of complaints to be investigated. I say until there is further information we should not allocate too much funding.

Thank you for catching up to me. THis has been my problem since Day one. So what are the Metrics that have been used to determine that we need more police officers? DO you have a number? Do you have a formula as to figure out how many officers it takes to bring law and order to a city this size?
I'm all for using metrics. Please give me some some. Personally, I find it deplorable that with the crime in Flint. It seems that if only the 177 budjeted officers handled less than two incidents per day. we would have more than enough officers for public saftey. ONly we don't. We have 177 officer and another 50 some sgts. Yet we still need more officers to handle less than two incidents per day per officer. Hey, these are the Cities numbers. Not mine. So how much work or how many responses (what is the metric) we can use to determine if we have enoguh officers?

Becuase Crime is going up we need more officers? Or becuase less is being done about crime we need more officers?

We need an Ombudsman, because no one in City Hall, Mayor and Council. Wants to look into the facts. So we strongly went after this position to get someone to point out the problem and reccomend solutions. Then you guys appoint a person who has already been convicted of the same crimes they were appointed to look into. Then you say you have confidence you made the best choice. That totally confuses me. There wan't anyone else. With out a record of this type that could have been found out of all those that applied. SOmeone without a violation for the things that the Ombudsman would investigate? Not ONE?

It just appears to me. That anyone that truly wants to look at the problems based on Facts, and not the Mayors opinion. Isn't allowed to be apointed for anything in this city. There were others that were interviewed that would have been a better or even best choice. Even more that didn't receive an interview that would have been better or best.
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:04 pm 
Ehren Gonzales

Ted,

As for the correct number of officers... that is a question that if you asked 10 people you would get 10 different answers. No one know the correct number since there are so many different variables. We only know that we must do somethnig different to make improvements. Also, we need to set goals that we can strive for to ensure the changes result in positive outcomes. This is whether metrics can measure our success or failure.

As for the Ombudsman choice it is your opinion that there were better selections out there. My opinion on the night of the selection is the top three were Prieur, Wilchenski, and Purifoy.

Of course I am sure some people disagree but that is the way I saw it.

Ehren
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:12 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Exactly, the ombudsman issue is definitely my Opinion. Just based on the facts. Not a political opinion. i don't care about race or gender. I care about integrity. I care about character. While most people would consider those characteristics intangibles. I don't believe they are. Just study men and women of Character. I couldn't find anyone, that I've looked up to, that thought "They were just doing their job" Violating laws and ethics. It is never a police officers job to take the law into their own hands.

As for the Police dept and metrics. You are correct. Ask ten people get ten answers. The bottom line is the number from the budget is less than the real numbers. I just used the budget numbers because they factual. Plus they are conservative numbers and below the actual. I'm giving the benefit of ratio to the Police dept. Even if I'm off just a few. I didn't count the 58 Police Sergeants or 10 Police Lieutenants or 2 Police Captains in the calculations. When we are talking about dividing 177 officers working a 5 day work weeks. Adding another 50 officer to equation. Is only going to make the accountability ratio for officers even less than 1.88 average per officer per day worked.

Just look at the City's crime stats. What changed in 2004? Focus on crime! Focus changed from focusing on criminals to focusing on the Mayor's issues. (the journal carrier, the painted rock, the housing commission, etc) What are the metrics for cities of the same demographics and size? I've quoted those. I've even looked at more diverse cities and even larger cities with a much lower police to citizen ratio. The problem is one, that no one seems to want to address. The leadership. Or the lack thereof. Lack of follow up. Refusal to take anything other than number of officers and crime into consideration for what is needed in fighting crime, when so many other cities have done so much more with so much less numbers of officers. We keep coming back to blowing more money on officers when we aren't getting the bang for our buck already.

It’s the same logic as when the Kearsley pool was leaking. Instead of fixing the pool for a few thousand dollars. The city continued to pump more water into the pool, 24 hours a day. Eventually costing more than it would have to just fix the pool. That is exactly what you are doing with the police department. The system of leadership and management is broken. Instead of fixing it. You just want to add more officers. If they are not being used effectively now. How is adding more going to help? How is it safer having 20 officers at a housing commission meeting rather than 2 or 4? How is it safer having 30 officers sitting behind a desk on the weekends instead of 20? If our leaders refuse to demand accountability. Then we have to. I’m not going to give up until we get some accountability (That was why I voted for DON. He was saying he would ring accountability to government, well he brought accountability to himself instead, and screw the rest of us.) This is the situation of hopelessness, the Mayor and Council’s desire, to keep throwing my tax dollars away. It’s like they are throwing Gasoline on a fire trying to put it out. There is no other metaphor that can be used to explain the silliness of hiring more officers to not be accountable for more than two incidents per day. That isn’t too much to ask.

If you don’t believe me. CHECK THE NUMBERS. Look it up for yourself. Your in management. Use some of Ford’s principles and apply them to the Flint police dept. Look at the efficiency. If you want. I’ll even get you some more comparisons with other departments. But I’ve got tons of this information available on my website. There is so much more available online. You tell me it’s opinion. I say it’s facts and back it up with the city’s own numbers. You can’t argue with that. But you guys do. You say we need more officers but still haven’t given ONE reason we do? Give me one. If New York lowered crime by effective crime fighting? Why can’t Flint? It isn’t rocket science. It requires leadership, character, tenacity, commitment and accountability. It can be done with what we have. If we could just get someone willing to take on the task. A Mayor, with a council backing him and a Police chief willing to do what it takes to get the job done. So far you and the others refuse to even acknowledge the problem. Only suggest throwing more police and spending more money is somehow related to effective crime fighting. Give me some stats? Find me a study that proves it? I’ll bet my money against yours, it doesn’t exist. Because all the studies and reports reference police becoming more effective. Not increasing numbers and continuing to do carry on, doing “business as usual.” We don’t even get the benefit of Business as usual. As Crime is going up in Flint and the number of officer is increasing. Hmmm That doesn’t support the idea that more officers means less crime. However, there are many studies and many cities that have proven that an effective and accountable police dept can lower crime. It’s that simple. In a complex problem.
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:01 pm 
rapunzel

Ehren,
Thank you for your interest and participation on this site!

The problem is police were not responding to certain areas. Were not investigating smaller crimes that led into larger crimes.

Police showing up hours later of a gun crime at kearsley park with a fresh hot cup of coffee in their hands! Police at a drug house removing unknown items and NO report made while the crime watch people that had turned this house in were warned previously to stay back. Upon contact with CATT sargeant NO report made? Crime watch were told to ...in the future report to other officers. Officers that we know are above board.

We have some excellent Flint Police officers, the few that are not so excellent are making the whole force look bad!

The Ombudsmans office if it functions as it should will give citizens voice to affect the changes needed on the force. 10 great officers can do the work of some of the 30 that DO NOT DO THEIR JOB!

Couldn't get an officer near whaley park for years. The past councilman and the current councilman do not cross that river do not respond to constituent complaints. This area needs to be re-districted. This is a no-one cares zone!

During the recent COPS millage an excellent community police officer followed up on complaints made at a crime watch meeting. Young man was busted in the park next to the school with drugs and a gun and a spray paint can(gang graffitti). The community followed up on his prosecution. Other remedies were made regarding the site adjacent to the school. Prostitutes were and likely are again having sex in the school parking lot and on the path behind the school. DURING SCHOOL HOURS!

The millage for Community police has passed. The Community Police are again pulled away to do other things besides what this money to pay them was voted on. Regular police duties. Many of us almost did not vote to renew this millage due to the past mis-appropriation of services.

Can you imagine what chaos would have happened if we lost funding for 40 Officers? We should have done two millages one renewal for Community Policing and one for added funding for regular police.

NO, instead the community was lied to that they would have police officers in the communities (even thinly spread). The community will support and assist if they are not told half truths. My community police officers would like to be where they are supposed to be.

I ran though the channels and asked for signs next to all schools. POSTING Drug free zones. This includes by law notification of full prosecution of guns or drugs near schools. Still waiting....Spoke with Tanya Ross, Gary Hagler, prosecuters, asst. City att. US ATTORNEY, Sheriff Pickell and Council President, Daryl Buchanan! The cityparks next to schools were my focus.

Easter before last guns were found by kids on a Church sponsored easter egg hunt in a park next to a school in Buchanan's ward. Guess it takes a dead child instead of an almost dead child to get action.

We can pay police but we need accountability for services or might just throw this funding down a WELL!

The schools also need to help with disipline-uniforms will not affect the whole problem. The city and the schools need to work together. The original reasoning for putting parks next to schools was shared responsiblity. Now we have not my job not my area mindset. No One cares about the children.

DO YOU?
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:51 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Let me add a solemn AMEN.
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:29 pm 
rapunzel

Ehren,

Thank you for returning my call!!
I will have to speak with Aunt Rita and see if I can help her with resources.
I hope you will listen to my arguements on Monday and I can convince you to second the motion.

Thank You for listening to a former and future MOTT CC. student! Constituent and Voter in the City of Flint.

Reminder...Code enforcement.Smile Rolling Eyes

Peace,
RAP
Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: