FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: does anyone know.............................

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

how the thing with comcast is going in their desire to close the flint studio?

will our local shows remain on the air?
is there equipment in flint available for their use?

surely, there is a space somewhere that could be donated for
production of those shows.

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Forget it LT go to Fox news and Bill Oreilly. Laughing

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:45 pm 
last time here

lord help us!!!!!!!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:48 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I received a notice from Comcast that all PEG (public, education and government) programming will be transitioned to a digital format by January 15, 2008."

Channel 17 will be on Channel 916
Channel 18 will be on Channel 902
Channel 70 will be on Channel 900

I have a digital TV (not HDTV) with minimum basic Comcast cable service (Channels 2-22) at $12.99 per month. When I called Comcast to inquire about it I was told I need to get a box, digital tuner or bi-through converter. Will cost me an additional $4.20 per month. If I don't buy into the $4.20 extra the Channels 17 and 18 will be taken away from me--but the customer service rep said that's not true--I'll just get a black screen.

Years ago I had and left Comcast for a jump in rates and bought a TV tower. After the birds ruined my roof and antenna I decided to go back to cable. The TV tower's gone, I've got a new roof, and now Comcast's gonna do it again--with the help of our legislators.

What do you think chances are of TV-12 airing city council meetings as a public service? I'm thinking of going back to antenna again.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:09 pm 
last time here

well, i don't have much faith in wxyz ch.12. Crying or Very sad
i guess we'll see...

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:30 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Has the Council done anything about Comcast closing the local studio? Is th3e studio part of the franchise agreement?

I don't get any "local access" with Directv, but at least Comcast isn't getting any more of my money, either.

If nothing else, maybe someone could tape the Council meetings and put them on UTube.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

If we had any smart elected officials here... they would contact one of the satellite companies and try to strike a deal with them to offer substantially lower rates within the City of Flint. After striking the deal use the bully pulpit of elected office to recruit residents to drop comcast as a form of protest and join up with the other company.... Maybe comcast would get the hint... or maybe they wouldn't. Who knows?
Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
If we had any smart elected officials here... they would contact one of the satellite companies and try to strike a deal with them to offer substantially lower rates within the City of Flint. After striking the deal use the bully pulpit of elected office to recruit residents to drop comcast as a form of protest and join up with the other company.... Maybe comcast would get the hint... or maybe they wouldn't. Who knows?
City of Flint is supposed to have a Telecommunications Advisory Commission. "The provisions of this chapter shall be enforced and administered by the City Administrator." Sec. 15-2 of the City Code. I don't believe we have an active Telecommunications Advisory Commission. Ehren Gonzales declined an appointment to the commission some time back when it was brought to his attention that an elected official could not sit on that commission.

Governor Granholm signed a new law effective January 1, 2007 known as the Uniform Video Services Local Franchise Act. "Except as otherwise provided by this act, a person shall not provide video services in any local unit of government without first obtaining a uniform video service local franchise..."
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mpsc/2006_PA_480_183428_7.pdf

This new law may require rewriting the existing franchise agreement between City of Flint and Comcast, or totally re-doing it with the new required form.

MPSC - Video Franchising (has new form)
http://www.michigan.gov/mpsc/0,1607,7-159-16372_44800---,00.html
Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:04 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

The problem is that the current administration has not shown a willingness to do anything about the current problems that we are having with Comcast. Someone needs to show some leadership on the issue.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
last time here

i've never really enjoyed paying for programming. 00SL2, do you still
have an antenna set-up and if so what channels do you get??

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:55 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:

Only those of us who have their own stuido's will be taping and airing shows.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
last time here

exactly what does the word "studio" entail???
does equipment exist that does not belong to comcast?

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:05 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
00SL2, do you still have an antenna set-up and if so what channels do you get??
A tower was mounted to the back of the house in southwest Flint, with a rotor (a pain in the carcass after being spoiled by channel surfing with cable). I received more channels than I ever watched, more than I get with minimum basic Comcast! Sadly, I just gave the antenna to a junk collector to reclaim garage space. I'm about of the mind to invest in another antenna, but I'll miss the city council meetings and a couple other shows I like to watch on Channel 17. You can see channels available with an antenna from your address here:

http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:00 pm 
last time here

damn!!! i had no idea!!!! thanks.

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:25 pm 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
quote:
last time here schreef:

Only those of us who have their own stuido's will be taping and airing shows.

No, not true. I have several options (and am currently doing some) for taping my show. None of which is my own studio. Production equipment is even better (much) than Comcast's!

To answer the questions: will our local shows remain on the air? is there equipment in flint available for their use? surely, there is a space somewhere that could be donated for production of those shows.

Yes, we will remain on the air. Just airing from Southfield, but the viewers won't see a difference. It will still be in the same time slots and channels (17 and 916) here in Flint. Comcast has promised producers equipment and space usage (but they didn't say for free, though) in their initiasl letters to the producers. That still has yet to be seen.

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: