FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dems support union workers?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Japanese-built Prius carries energy bill Thu Dec 20, 6:58 PM ET

WASHINGTON - When Congress sent an energy bill to President Bush for his signature, it arrived in a Japanese-built Toyota Prius hybrid — a move that rubbed two Michigan Republicans the wrong way.

"It is a huge slap in the face, calculated I believe, just to demonstrate their complete disregard for the domestic auto industry," said Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich.

To Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., it was a "slap in the face of every American auto worker."

They said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., could have provided the same symbolism by sending the bill Wednesday in a U.S.-built hybrid made by Ford Motor Co. or General Motors Corp.

Drew Hammill, a spokesman for Pelosi, said the Republicans were "merely attempting to distract from the success of the Democratic energy security legislation" and noted that 95 House Republicans supported the bill. He said the bill would encourage the development of hybrids and alternative vehicles.

Hammill said the Prius was owned by an employee with the Office of the Clerk, which sends bills to the White House.

The bill requires that automakers increase fuel efficiency by 40 percent to an industry average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020.

The Prius, the most popular gas-electric hybrid in the United States, gets a combined 46 mpg in city and highway driving. The Prius and the 2008 Honda Civic hybrid, which gets a combined 42 mpg, are the only two hybrids sold in the United States today that would meet the new mileage requirements set for 2020.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071220/ap_on_go_co/energy_bill_prius_4

Your thoughts?
Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I wonder when the UAW will actually evaluate the candidates before endorsing, instead of automatically endorsing the Dems. If Vlad Tepes was running for office as a Democrat, they'd endorse him.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

the impaler??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:55 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Uh huh.

Laughing

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

It amazes me how ignorant the UAW is.

Hmm... lets see... who signed Nafta?

Hmm... who cut budgets in MI which cut 11 MILLION dollars out of Genesee County's budget (AFCSME).....

...not those infamous Republicans... that's for sure...

We need someone who is ANTI-Naft... Pro-America... Pro-working man. And as a life long resident of Genesee county, I almost shudder when I say it, but "That ain't a Dem"

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:45 pm 
last time here

pat buchanan!!!! Cool

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:06 am 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
pat buchanan!!!! Cool

Yeah, but he ain't runnin this time brother Very Happy

RonPaul2008.com

The Only hope for America

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:31 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Some people in the upper echelons of the unions have something in common with the upper levels of corporations and political parties. They tend to forget about the little people. They tend to feel that "they" know what's best for "us".

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:37 am 
last time here

my dad was union, i've been union for over 30 years but damn.
sometimes officers get in and get comfortable and run it like a
personal thing. if you don't kiss butt, your out. Shocked Shocked

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:50 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
my dad was union, i've been union for over 30 years but damn.
sometimes officers get in and get comfortable and run it like a
personal thing. if you don't kiss butt, your out. Shocked Shocked

My experience exactly Unions are needed, were needed when they were invented, but sadly have become corporations in and of themselves... I've been a member of both the Teamsters and AFSCME and have found the same thing in both. Low level Union members and Reps still have the right mentality, but upper level leaders are more concerned with politics & their golf partners...

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:09 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

to reply to my own post...

But... what is the solution? Thats what I keep asking myself. How do I (we) fix this mess. I ask myself this a lot, and sadly don't find near enough answers for my questions. This applies to Washington, Flint, Unions, Economy, everything. It seems like almost everything around us any more is a mess and the average Joe Taxpayer is perfectly happy sitting around swilling beer and watching Fox News as it all softly falls apart.

*sigh*
/rant off

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:11 pm 
last time here

perhaps a little insurrection is at hand. Cool Cool Cool

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:20 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

Would take an enormous movement... any small group attempting any type of uprising would be imprisoned at best, or labeled "unlawful combatants' and subjected to "enhanced interrogation"

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:39 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
swilling beer

Not everyone I prefer Gray Goose on the rocks. Less calories. Very Happy

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:56 pm 
last time here

i'm too old for interrogation and waterboarding.... Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand

wheres the youngsters!!!!! under 40. Rock ya Rock ya Rock ya Rock ya

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:33 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: