FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Alex Harris on Eric Mayes show.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Did anyone else catch that program?
I don't feel so alone when I hear others that see the same things I do. I knew I wasn't dreaming.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Alex Harris has a long history....he tried for school board once or twice. Last person turn out the lights is his motto. He is intelligent but does he offer solutions?
Post Wed May 31, 2006 12:43 am 
Ted J

Now, this may be because I see exactly what he is talking about... The solutions I believe are obvious. I think that's why he doesn't present them. I'm not always pointing out the solutions either. Mostly because. That's what these people were elected to do. Create solutions. I just think (myself) that the answers to so much of the problems in Flint are just plain right there slapping us in the face. I don’t know. Maybe most people aren't willing to stick their necks out.

This city’s attitude overall is one of. "Let government provide for me." or "I shouldn't spend any of my money to fix it" That was one of Don Williamson's appealing points. He had the money to just say "Screw you, I'm doing it anyway" Only, I believe he went a bit overboard in that philosophy. But, too many times, something simple that would only take a little pocket change (ie, a website for community watch groups) becomes a major production because we can't get anything done without a FEDERAL GRANT for 25 bucks to purchase the web space and domain name. Or because they are getting a grant. It must be for some outrageous amount so someone makes a few bucks off the grant.

Most Flint residents seem to be conditioned to accept that the BIG Government should do everything for us/them. Police can't fight crime unless they get weed and seed money. Etc.

I was thrilled to see him on Eric's show. Again, I've heard the same things, I keep seeing myself when it comes to how this city is being run.

If Mr. Harris is like me. He may just be waiting for someone to just plain ask. "So what the solution?" I'm sure he has a long list of solutions. But, what good is it to have a solution. If the city government doesn't even believe there is a problem. The majority of are just plain overjoyed that the city is wasting more money on Tahoes and Peterbilts Trucks. They don't see it as a problem, that the Council isn't supporting Flint businesses. So what good is it to have a solution if no one believes there is a problem.

Take Crime: According to the Mayor. 2005 saw a MAJOR REDUCTION. When the City of Flint's FBI Crime Stats clearly shows a significant Increase. What good is it to have solutions on how to lower crime. If no one believes there is a crime problem.

I'm thinking that is the mindset of where he is coming from. First inform. Then when people's eyes are open. Then give the solutions. Other wise the solutions are falling on Deaf ears. Sound familiar? Although, I am attempting to get out and talk to more people. I’m finding I’m not alone. There are others out there, that see these problems. The ones that don’t see the problems “I’ve found” (and this is just what I’ve found) always have a reason that has no relationship to the issue at hand. Here’s an example. Right after the Don lied about Dale Kildee’s record. I was talking to a Don supporter. His response after presenting the facts concerning Dale’s actual record was “well Dale looks like he’s walking dead” Not, that Don was right. But, that Dale is old. You cannot carry on dialogue with someone who doesn’t want to discuss facts and use reasoning. Which seems to be the majority of Don’s supporters. They don’t want to discuss facts. Just call names talk about what great things Don is doing. Which I’m still waiting to see one that Don actually can take full credit for. I’m sure he has to be able to claim credit for something. I just don’t know what.
Post Wed May 31, 2006 9:04 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: