FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Should being a college town include legalizing drugs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I agree with you, twotap.

I'm no statistician.... i can't even spell well.... but most of the crimes I hear about or read about that are a result of being under the influence of (illegal) drugs usually involve heroin, cocaine, and all that other really scary stuff.

If weed was legalized, why couldn't its sale AND use be regulated, much like alcohol? I mean, you can't go to work drunk and you are not supposed to drive drunk...
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:41 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Sorry but I've never seen an angry pot smoker. It's not a hallucinogen. And the evidence you cite is so circumstantial: how do you know the guy wasn't bipolar? What if he used pot to help with the very condition you're attributing to it?

But again, you've picked out one guy that is strange and used him as your example. He's the exception rather than the rule. Most people I know who do it are very reliable, even-tempered, and gainfully employed.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:31 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Sorry but I've never seen an angry pot smoker. It's not a hallucinogen. And the evidence you cite is so circumstantial: how do you know the guy wasn't bipolar

I used him as one example yes but I have known others who have exhibited the same traits. Also I believe I said MOOD altering not hallucinate. My wife also worked with a couple gals whose behavior was the same and they were both heavy tokers. I agree when tokers are under the influence they are happy go lucky but when they are coming down they tend to be somewhat out of control and I suspect are not even aware of their behavior. I get the impression that you believe that no harm can come from taking in a little weed but point out all the evils of alcohol when those under the influence of either act very similar. Legalize it and like Tegan said put restrictions on operating a motor vehicle or reporting for work stoned. I find the group MADD whose goal is to eliminate drunk drivers to be missing a couple of letters from their name, MADASD or Mothers Against Drunk And Stoned Drivers would be more appropriate. By the way I have tried both alcohol and pot and am fully aware of the effects both have on ones behavior and outlook.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:05 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
You guys are full of stereotypes that just aren't true.

I know many who regularly partake and are very productive members of society. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. People you have NO idea do it.

What does legalizing and taxing it do? It lets people not be criminalized for something so arbitrary. Pot only became illegal as an effort to rid the US of Mexican immigrants in the 20s (who were associated with using marijuana).

To the person who wasn't sure it was less destructive, I ask you: how many stoners have you seen in a fight? compared to how many drunks? take that logic out to include domestic disputes and other violence; there's no comparison in my mind.

I wasn't addressing the effects of the drug at all. I'm talking about the fact that legalizing it would have no effect on crime in the area. If it's taxed, there will still be dealers selling the untaxed stuff on the street. Either way, people will still need money to buy it, and those that resort to crime for their money will still be doing crimes. Also, if it's taxed, law enforcement will still be going after the illegal dealers. So, other than getting pot convictions off people's records, what would legalizing accomplish?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Well, the number of people buying weed off the street from possibly dangerous sources would go down. The sentence of a seller of "untaxed weed" would probably be less severe than that of a seller of illegal drugs (plus, i don't know too many people still selling bootleg liquor). Lighter sentences of weed sellers would mean less people in jails, meaning more room for violent offenders or sellers of harder drugs in jails, and fewer offenders being released too early.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:59 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I guess I don't follow why you think there'd be all these illegal sales. But assuming you're right about that, you're right that it accomplishes nothing but relieving our criminal justice system of the joke of dealing with this as a crime. I assume there would be a massive amount of money and resources (like those helicopter cops who fly around Cali looking for fields of it, taking in an armed team, etc.) freed up for more important things.

My only point about alcohol was to show how arbitrary its legality is versus other drugs.

And by the way, I don't think any drug use should be prosecuted.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:08 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If a person can get a product cheaper, he'll do it. I don't know anything about the actual prices, but for example, if legal taxed weed was $1.00 per joint, and untaxed, on the street corner was 40 cents, where would people be more likely to buy it?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I attended the forum. There was about 50-100 students with me and 2 other people from the Ron Paul campaign. The forum was run really well. I learned a lot.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:52 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Link
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:53 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: