FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Police crack cold case

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4188514

FLINT (WJRT) - (05/19/06)--Police in Flint have cracked a cold case that has baffled authorities for nearly a decade. Shayla Rose was just 14 years old when she disappeared in November of 1997.

Police found the girl raped and strangled to death in a vacant Flint house. Friday a judge charged 34-year-old James Carrodine with those crimes.

It came down to DNA. The Cold Case Task Force made up of members of the Flint and Michigan State Police re-ran some old evidence recovered at the crime scene.

It red flagged a suspect that wasn't very hard to track down.

"Our family has not really been happy since that time," said mother Crystal Fielder. "And the only thing that would make us happy is just to know why and who did it. I think that would be closure for us."

That was Fielder back in 1999, two years after her 14-year-old daughter disappeared. Nearly a decade later, she finally has some of the answers she's been searching for.

Fielder may never know why, but she now knows who police say killed Rose.

"I'm sure they are pleased, looking for closure," said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton.

Rose, a ninth grader at Northern High School, was last seen a block from her grandmother's home on Spencer Street.

She was going to meet a friend and attend a classmate's funeral, but Rose never made it there. Police eventually found her raped and strangled to death in a home on Oak Street.

Leyton says at the time Carradine lived in Rose's grandmother's neighborhood and was nearby at the time of the killing.

"He was somebody that we looked at that we had interest in," Leyton said.

But years later and with the technology used today, investigators used DNA to identify her killer. Police say semen found on Rose's body matched the DNA of Carrodine.

Carrodine was already serving time for attempted murder in a prison near Manistee.

"We'll never get to see her graduate high school, never get married, have children, any of that," Fielder said. "All that is gone."

The Violent Crimes Task Force has solved seven cases so far.

We need more stories like this.
Post Tue May 23, 2006 12:12 pm 
Ted J

How about the Headline. Flint Police Crack open Cold Case of Bud?
Seriously though. If you read the story. You'll see that the State Police were involved. Had the State Boys not been overseeing this. The Flint Police wouldn't ever have caught them.
Post Tue May 23, 2006 3:25 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Just to add to this. I wish Bob Leonard would post here. He was on the same page I was on this one. What was so difficult seven years, that they couldn't catch this gy with DNA evidence then?
Can't Blame the Don on this one. This one falls directly on Stanely.
Post Tue May 23, 2006 8:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

Good job pointing out the state police Ted. I got too excited and didn't read the story well enough. Like Flint police would ever solve a cold case. Sad
Post Wed May 24, 2006 1:25 pm 
Ted J

Well as Bob Leonard pointed out on his show... What was so difficult they couldn't have solved it 7 years ago. Esp. when the suspect was a person of Interest. They didn't even bother to do DNA and cancel him out. If they had. They would have caught their suspect.
Post Wed May 24, 2006 2:25 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: