FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Buchanan offered Flint city administrator's job
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Darryl can't vote for himself for the job, thats a conflict of interest for sure!
Ryan, it's no more a conflict of interest than Carolyn Sims voting herself as president of council. Darryl's not going to resign until he's approved for the position. Until then, he is a member of the City Council and can vote to approve or disapprove the mayor's appointment. I'll repeat here what was posted on another thread:

"The Mayor, with the approval of the City Council, shall appoint a City Administrator who shall be the Chief Administrative Officer of the City." [Sec. 4-201(A) of the Flint City Charter.]
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:49 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Council president is an internal matter amongst themselves. That's different. This is not an internal matter amongst the council.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:55 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

From the above article:

"Ethics expert Judy Nadler said it's a classic example of conflict between representing the public interest and personal gain.

"Any vote that you take that has either a positive or a negative effect on your income is considered a conflict of interest," said Nadler, the senior fellow at the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University in California. "That is just very straight out."

Buchanan's proposed appointment is expected to go before a City Council committee Wednesday, with final approval possible at Monday's meeting.

The city charter forbids elected officials from acting on "any matter if a conflict exists.""
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:25 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

This is more from the same article:

"Buchanan noted council members routinely vote for themselves for leadership positions, including last month when new officers were picked.

"I don't know. I think that's a little different," said Council President Carolyn Sims, who voted for herself to be president but believes Buchanan should not vote on his own appointment.

The council president is paid $23,175 a year, about $1,050 more than the other members. As city administrator, Buchanan would earn about $97,000 a year."

Council president is paid more than the other council members, and Sims voted for herself, yet she doesn't think Buchanan should vote to approve his own appointment to an appointed position which pays considerably more money. Talk about double standards!

Notice also the amount of money council members get. I'd say that's a pretty hefty chunk for no more time and effort than they put forth. Too much in some cases!
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 pm 
Charlie
F L I N T O I D

There is a difference between an election to an office and an appointment to an office. The City Administrator candidate and City Attorney should know the difference, otherwise its just politics as usual at City Hall and a disregard of the City Charter
Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:00 am 
last time here

does not the mayor have the right to appoint whomever he chooses?

honestly, if i or any of you were a mayor you'd appoint whomever
you could work with no?? Confused

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

On the CH12 news last night, Sims & Poplar said Buchanan would have to resign from the Council before a vote to confirm him as administrator could be taken.

YEAH! Then they vote NO, and he's off the Council as well. So much for "cooperating with the mayor".

Cynical? You damn betcha.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
does not the mayor have the right to appoint whomever he chooses?

So then you don't think presidential appointees should have to go through confirmation process either?
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:19 am 
last time here

this ain't about the united states, it's about a medium sized town in the
throes of redevelopment. given the past history of council's idiotic
actions and decisions, i'd be very hesitant trusting them with anything.

just my opinion.. Shocked

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:54 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I don't think that Darryl should resign before being considered for the CA job. I do believe though that the current CA should have to resign prior to any vote to fill the position. It doesn't really make sense to fill a non-vacant position.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

If a new mayor had been elected, the outgoing mayor's appointments would end with the former mayor's term in office, clearing the board for an entirely new slate -- new mayor, new appointments. Since DW was sworn in again for a new term he should make new appointments consistent with this term, either reaffirm previous appointments by asking them to stay, or to appoint new people. He has apparently not asked Ms. Cook to stay so the position is open until the council approves his new appointment.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:45 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
If a new mayor had been elected, the outgoing mayor's appointments would end with the former mayor's term in office, clearing the board for an entirely new slate -- new mayor, new appointments. Since DW was sworn in again for a new term he should make new appointments consistent with this term, either reaffirm previous appointments by asking them to stay, or to appoint new people. He has apparently not asked Ms. Cook to stay so the position is open until the council approves his new appointment.

I would agree with this if Ms. Cook were not still collecting a pay check for the position she held prior to the election. Since she is, there is no vacancy in that position.
Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
I would agree with this if Ms. Cook were not still collecting a pay check for the position she held prior to the election. Since she is, there is no vacancy in that position.
Do you work in the payroll department so you know checks are still being paid to her? And if so, why are checks still being issued after the end of the last term? Seems something should be in writing to continue her term in order to do that, and I thought she was not asked to stay--instead Buchanan was offered the position. Why have her checks not been stopped?
Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:08 pm 
last time here

personally, i wouldn't quit until i was appointed. theres been too much
hate for many many years between the elected administration and
council. i think darryl is making a wise decision. some tend to forget
personal animosities stand for nothing when the future is at stake.

i don't know whats going on but i sincerely hope the war between
the mayor and council is over. we can't allow anything less.

Last edited by last time here on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:14 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I was hoping, but it sure doesn't seem like it. Looks like egos and politics is more important than the good of the city.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: