FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Board votes to allow ex-felon to keep job

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

What felony is excusable when it comes to working with or around students? Is this something community members and parents should pursue with the Flint Board of Education? Is this a story that should have been made public if the Board has approved continued employment? -- 00SL2

Board votes to allow ex-felon to keep job
HOMETOWN HEADLINES
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, December 06, 2007
By Melissa Burden

FLINT - The Flint Board of Education Wednesday voted to continue the employment of an worker who has a past felony conviction.

In a 8-1 vote, with board Vice President Raymond Hatter casting the only "no" vote, the board voted to reinstate Tommie T. Johnson.

Johnson said he is a substitute teacher for the Flint district, but declined further comment.

Johnson met with the board during a closed session. No information on his criminal conviction was available.

A 2006 state law requires districts to immediately fire school employees with felony sexual misconduct convictions, and requires written approval from a school board and district superintendent to employ workers with other felony records.

- Melissa Burden

Source:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-47/1196967023311610.xml&coll=5
Accessed: December 6, 2007
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:35 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'd say it would depend on the offense. With the Crear situation in the past, I'd be very careful with student safety.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I'd say it would depend on the offense. With the Crear situation in the past, I'd be very careful with student safety.

Very sound advise!
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: